Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If Tex Signs W/ Boston....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
.....to a multiyear contract.....what will happen to Lars Anderson when he's major league ready? Seems to me he'd be blocked, both at 1B and DH.

Curious to get your thoughts.

steve-a-reno

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
.....to a multiyear contract.....what will happen to Lars Anderson when he's major league ready? Seems to me he'd be blocked, both at 1B and DH.

Anyone with any athleticism can be move to the OF. Left in boston is a fairly easy position. That could be a possiblity.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:

I would be absolutely livid.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
I would see this as a stupid move by Boston especially since they didn't even need Tex to get to the postseason last year.

The money would be better spent either locking up another contract or, frankly, saved. Let Lars play.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to Boston, the new version of the old Yankees, where money gets you anyone and trading away your best prospects is the norm

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
he will be in the same position Chris Carter currently is in. Ortiz still will be around for 3 years or so, Youk and Tex will be in the corners for a while. We still have JD and Bay and Ellsbury in OF, so he is extremely limited if they get Tex.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
HPC said:
Welcome to Boston, the new version of the old Yankees, where money gets you anyone and trading away your best prospects is the norm

The key is to mix in good contracts of home grown talent so you can afford to go out and pay a premium for top players when they're available.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
haha

for one..If the sox were to sign Tex..he would most likely have an opt out after yr 3...therefor we still have lars in the waiting just in case.
Lars can always platoon w/ tex and papi.

Tex is proven..while Lars isnt. He can hit double-a pitching.
the last I looked..that doesnt always translate into MLB ready.

HPC said:

yea, thats because they traded away Lester, Buchholtz, elsbury..ect right?

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
Bosox3 said:
haha

for one..If the sox were to sign Tex..he would most likely have an opt out after yr 3...therefor we still have lars in the waiting just in case.

HPC said:

sheetskout said:
I would see this as a stupid move by Boston especially since they didn't even need Tex to get to the postseason last year

umm no but it wouldve changed alot of things having him. another top hitter is what the sox needed down the stretch.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
I feel very strongly about this....

Let Lars play a full season at AA/AAA. Lowell/Ortiz are in decline, and Youkilis had a season that was way above normal. One can reasonably expect regression back to the norm from Youkilis. .315/30/115 is just not likely. I'm not saying he is going to go back to hitting .275/15/70, but I can't expect the astronomical numbers from Youkilis again. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE it, but I'm not expecting it.
As a huge Red Sox fan, I remember how quickly Mo Vaughn declined. Mo has a similar body to that of Ortiz. Once again, I hope that Ortiz' last year was a result of the wrist injury only, and not overall decline.
No one is arguing that upon the hypothetical signing of Teixeira, the Red Sox will trade Lowell.

This leaves us a hypothetical Youk/Ortiz/Lars/Texieira. Let Lars play a full season of AA/AAA, and worry about this AFTER we sign Teixeira, and AFTER the 2009 season. Jaypers - Bring this thread back in one year, and if the problem is too much depth at the corner/DH positions, I'm OK with that. I'd rather have too much depth then not enough.

Another facet, Teixeira is the last big bat on the FA market for 2 years. In 2010, your top FA hitters consist of:
Chipper
Tejada
Bay
Vladdy
Holliday

One can argue that Teixeira is the best available of all of these players. The Red Sox should also have Lugo, and Lowell off the books in 2010 so Holliday can slot into left in place of Bay.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
jbone17 said:
Lars has the attitude of a Major Leage player that is for sure. That guy has a ego bigger than everything!

lars has an ego?? Ive met him a few times last season when Portland came through CT...and I didnt get the feeling he has a huge ego at all.
He reminds me more of a stoner, laid back and doesnt care about his hype at all.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Bosox3 said:
haha

HPC said:

youre in the same spot the Yankees, DBacks, and other teams have put themselves in.

You called up Lester, Buchholtz (who will more than likely be bullpen this season) and ellsbury, and now if you sign Tex, you'll have him along with all the other stars already there like Ortiz, etc.

Where are you going to play Lars, or Chris? You have no where to put these guys because even if someone like Papi does get injured, and someone like Lars plays, he will be benched because of 1) ortiz's standing 2) contract

There really is no good place for these prospects in Boston so really the only way is to trade them

And btw, if the freakin Nationals are offering him $160 million for 8 years, why would he sign for much less for less years?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
Why blocked at DH? You think Ortiz has many more years left?

This was my first thought: Ortiz is on the brink of being done. A couple of years ago I thought he was HOF bound, but now I realize that he started hitting too late in his career and he is the downward slide, one that I'm betting will have a steep slope.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
HPC said:
There really is no good place for these prospects in Boston so really the only way is to trade them

And btw, if the freakin Nationals are offering him $160 million for 8 years, why would he sign for much less for less years?

Regarding the prospects - "these" prospects? There is one prospect in this discussion. Lars Anderson. Chris Carter is 26. Lars is 21. Your comments regarding the Red Sox system are just not intelligent. The Red Sox have shown the ability to promote prospects from within in the past three years. (See - Lester, Papelbon, Masterson, Delcarmen, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ellsbury).

Who cares about blocking a prospect when you can sign an elite player now? Teixeira > Lars > Carter. As far as the Red Sox have to trade their prospects? Again, let's look at recent history. Craig Hansen, Cla Meredith, Andy Marte, David Murphy, Brandon Moss, Matt Murton, Engel Beltre. Which one of these guys would be an upgrade over a starter right now?
The only prospect you can make that argument about is Hanley Ramirez. Hanley wasn't blocked by anyone however. He was in AA, coming off a second season where he did not reach expectations, and hit .271. He was traded out of need for an elite starting pitcher, and he was not going to find a spot at shortstop in Boston over Gonzalez, because he was not ready. Looking at today, while it would be great to have Hanley over Lugo/Lowrie, the Red Sox would not have won a World Series without Beckett in 07. World Series Victory > Hanley Ramirez.

Do me a favor and tell me what Red Sox prospects are upgrades over their MLB counterpart this year, or in the recent history?

Regarding the Nationals - It's the freakin Nationals. He wouldn't be signing for much less for less years. The Red Sox just offered an 8 year deal, which is equal to the years offered by the Nationals. The Red Sox also are perennial contenders, and the Nationals are not. Assuming the Sox didn't match the 8/160, and went about 8/150 is the chance the Red Sox offer him worth about 10 million less in total? Yes. It is.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Great point about Hanley, but Lowell was also a huge part of them winning a World Series. He was just a salary dump by the Marlins, but Lowell has exceeded all expectations

baseballguy350 said:
HPC said:

Regarding the prospects - "these" prospects? There is one prospect in this discussion. Lars Anderson. Chris Carter is 26. Lars is 21. Your comments regarding the Red Sox system are just not intelligent. The Red Sox have shown the ability to promote prospects from within in the past three years. (See - Lester, Papelbon, Masterson, Delcarmen, Pedroia, Lowrie, Ellsbury).

Who cares about blocking a prospect when you can sign an elite player now? Teixeira > Lars > Carter. As far as the Red Sox have to trade their prospects? Again, let's look at recent history. Craig Hansen, Cla Meredith, Andy Marte, David Murphy, Brandon Moss, Matt Murton, Engel Beltre. Which one of these guys would be an upgrade over a starter right now?
The only prospect you can make that argument about is Hanley Ramirez. Hanley wasn't blocked by anyone however. He was in AA, coming off a second season where he did not reach expectations, and hit .271. He was traded out of need for an elite starting pitcher, and he was not going to find a spot at shortstop in Boston over Gonzalez, because he was not ready. Looking at today, while it would be great to have Hanley over Lugo/Lowrie, the Red Sox would not have won a World Series without Beckett in 07. World Series Victory > Hanley Ramirez.

Do me a favor and tell me what Red Sox prospects are upgrades over their MLB counterpart this year, or in the recent history?

Regarding the Nationals - It's the freakin Nationals. He wouldn't be signing for much less for less years. The Red Sox just offered an 8 year deal, which is equal to the years offered by the Nationals. The Red Sox also are perennial contenders, and the Nationals are not. Assuming the Sox didn't match the 8/160, and went about 8/150 is the chance the Red Sox offer him worth about 10 million less in total? Yes. It is.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
He was a huge part of the World Series, however my point was to analyze at the time of the trade, when Lowell was expected to be nothing more than a salary pick up to get Beckett. The point of the trade was to get Beckett, not Lowell.

Members online

Latest posts