Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ok, I'm curious......post it up! CONTEST!!!! EDITED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
Hey, I'm curious to know what the one card is that got you hooked on this hobby. I would like to hear a great story behind the card and if you have a pic that would be great! I'll share mine of course.......

My cousin used to be a big Cal Ripken, Jr. collector and I was a huge collector of Don Mattingly. When he and I would get together at my grandparents house, we would go up to the corner store, The Handi Pik, and buy packs of 88 and 89 Donruss. Any Ripkens or O's cards I pulled would go to him, and any Mattingly or Yankees cards would go to me. It never failed though. Every time I would hit the Rip and he would hit the Donnie Baseball card. Those packs really got me started as a serious collector.

Now for THE card that really got me hooked. For Christmas in 89, my dad took me to the local cardshop/batting cages(Greensboro Batting Center--now Cards at the Cages). My first mainstream card was a Don Mattingly Team Checklist card from 89 Upper Deck. I loved looking at the hologram on the back of the card. I remember sitting on the pullout couch bed at my dads house in the dark, just twirling the Mattingly card and twisting it,even in the dark so that the hologram would catch the few lights on at night. It was an awesome card.

I have borrowed the scan from ebay as I dont' have one of my card that I own.

Lets see yours.

EDIT!! As a special holiday treat, the staff at FCB will be judging the best stories and the very BEST story willl win a $50 Ebay gift card!!! Everyone is encouraged to participate and please mention this to your friends on here! I want to see a ton of entries! Good luck and lets hear your story!

c435_3.jpg

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Re: Ok, I'm curious......post it up!

1971 Topps Pete Rose.

Long story short. I was staying with my older sister and her husband one summer when I was a kid. There was an ad for baseball card lots in some magazine. She ordered my a 50 count lot of 1964 Topps and a 100 count lot of 1971 Topps. In the 71's there was a Willie Mays and a Pete Rose. I remember looking at all of those cards for hours upon hours. I memorized nearly every detail. I absolutely loved that 71 Pete Rose. To this day I am a huge Rose fan and wish I had a 71 Topps Rose. Actually, I wish I had THAT particular card still.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009

How funny, I got hooked after I opened a pack of 87 fleer and pulled a Mattingly all-star card and my cousin told me it was worth five bucks!!!!

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN

I remember opening this cardboard box of mixed baseball cards back in the late 80's and getting this card:
!BfIM!,g!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CQErhemV3wWBL!E)C6hu!~~_12.jpg
(Image borrowed from eBay)
It really was the start of my collecting days.

My dream card back then was to get one of these:
!BgNi64g!Wk~$(KGrHqUOKicErzWFvLhSBLEbupWkMw~~_12.jpg
(Again, pic borrowed from eBay)
I remember this one small card shop had one of these for sale and I'd always gawk at it when I was there.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008

Dont know the exact card but it was a jersey card, I remeber just rubbing the little swatch.

:lol:

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL

Sandberg.jpg

I started collecting in 1990, buying packs of donruss and topps from my convenience store. I had to ride my bike 10 minutes each way to get them. Shortly after I started collecting, I showed them to my dad. Now, my parents divorced about a month before I was born, and my dad drove 2 hrs each way to pick me up every other weekend. He started taking me to a local card shop by his house, and we started buying some packs here and there. When the 1991's released, we bought a box of Donruss and went home to open it together. About halfway through the box, we pulled this card. I thought it was so cool to pull an autograph, and my dad really liked it too. He decided to go for the set, and ended up getting every card except for the Bonds and Canseco. He sold all of them for around $1200 if I remember correctly. Those were the days.

Over the next few years, we collected together, and went to the shop every time I visited him. I remember looking for First Day Production cards from 1991 Stadium Club. I remember opening ungodly amounts of 1990 leaf 1 and 2, putting together 8 complete sets. I remember trying to trade a 1985 Donruss Roger Clemens rookie for a 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas. I remember stopping at Sam's Club on the ride back from mom's house to dad's and buying a box of 1991 Fleer, hoping to pull the ProView cards. Opening them in his truck because I couldn't wait until we got home. I remember pulling a Carlos Delgado/Javy Lopez Rookie Team Pinnacle Card in 1993 from the shop in my dad's town. I remember taking every single Griffey card that we pulled home with me every Sunday night, and sorting through them all until my dad came to pick me up again.

I remember a lot of things like that, and it all started with the 1991 Donruss Ryne Sandberg Autograph. I bought one on ebay earlier this year, and am going to complete the set and frame it....to remind me of better times.

Sorry to ramble on and on.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York

I don't have a scan, but it was a 1990 Upper Deck Juan Gonzalez rookie card. I picked it out and my mom bought it for me at Dave and Adam's first tiny little card shop in North Tonawanda back in 1990 and I have been hooked on cards ever since.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

boxbreaker44 said:
Dont know the exact card but it was a jersey card, I remeber just rubbing the little swatch.

Don't really know how to respond to this one....

.... :lol: :lol:

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008

scotty21690 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Touching History scotti!

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL

Yeah 1990 UD! I remember the reverse negatives, the Ben McDonald and Eric Anthony rookies....Star Rookies were the ish back in the day.

sportscardtheory said:
I don't have a scan, but it was a 1990 Upper Deck Juan Gonzalez rookie card. I picked it out and my mom bought it for me at Dave and Adam's first tiny little card shop in North Tonawanda back in 1990 and I have been hooked on cards ever since.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

BTW....what card got me hooked on vintage??

Easy. My first prewar vintage card I bought on ebay:

cronin41playballfront.jpgcronin41playballback.jpg

This card was amazing in person...everything about it, and I stared at it for a good 15 minutes before I put it down. I knew I found my card collecting calling :cool:

Still have it, and always will

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

boxbreaker44 said:
scotty21690 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Touching History scotti!
I'm just messin with ya bud. I did (and still do) that same thing. I remember the softest GU swatch was a Jerry Rice (white) jersey swatch out of Playoff Hogg Heaven :D ....Wish I hadnt ever traded that one!

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008

scotty21690 said:
boxbreaker44 said:
scotty21690 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Touching History scotti!
I'm just messin with ya bud. I did (and still do) that same thing. I remember the softest GU swatch was a Jerry Rice (white) jersey swatch out of Playoff Hogg Heaven :D ....Wish I hadnt ever traded that one!
Then I guess this is a safe time to tell you I sniffed my Babe Ruth GU Bat Card :lol:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle

Boy...this is a good topic! I would love to hear these!

Personally, gosh, I don't even know.

I remember buying 78 topps packs as a 8 or 9 year old, and playing that game on the back. MAN! I loved those. I would get stacks and stacks of them, and play with anyone who would play with me, and play more just against myself. I would build all star teams and play each other. Johnny Bench, Pete Rose, Yaz, Rice, Fisk, Reggie (my favorite), Garvey, Schidt, Guidry, Sutter, Ryan, Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, Keith Hernandez, Stargell and Parker, George Brett, the list goes on! I can picture the fronts of those cards as if they were sitting right next to me today.

I remember finding older packs, 1972 through 1975 at the local gas station and buying those whenever I could. Jackpot market it was called. I pulled a 72 Roberto Clemente that went into a little holder (a picture frame! :lol: ), my first "PC" card, my first "display" card.

So there I was, around 8-9 years old and on, just loving cards, and loving baseball. Buying packs, sorting, trading, buying, sorting, checklisting, re-sorting, storing, counting, sorting again. Boy, I loved to sort! Seriously!

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD

Junior Griffey said:
Sandberg.jpg

I started collecting in 1990, buying packs of donruss and topps from my convenience store. I had to ride my bike 10 minutes each way to get them. Shortly after I started collecting, I showed them to my dad. Now, my parents divorced about a month before I was born, and my dad drove 2 hrs each way to pick me up every other weekend. He started taking me to a local card shop by his house, and we started buying some packs here and there. When the 1991's released, we bought a box of Donruss and went home to open it together. About halfway through the box, we pulled this card. I thought it was so cool to pull an autograph, and my dad really liked it too. He decided to go for the set, and ended up getting every card except for the Bonds and Canseco. He sold all of them for around $1200 if I remember correctly. Those were the days.

Over the next few years, we collected together, and went to the shop every time I visited him. I remember looking for First Day Production cards from 1991 Stadium Club. I remember opening ungodly amounts of 1990 leaf 1 and 2, putting together 8 complete sets. I remember trying to trade a 1985 Donruss Roger Clemens rookie for a 1990 Leaf Frank Thomas. I remember stopping at Sam's Club on the ride back from mom's house to dad's and buying a box of 1991 Fleer, hoping to pull the ProView cards. Opening them in his truck because I couldn't wait until we got home. I remember pulling a Carlos Delgado/Javy Lopez Rookie Team Pinnacle Card in 1993 from the shop in my dad's town. I remember taking every single Griffey card that we pulled home with me every Sunday night, and sorting through them all until my dad came to pick me up again.

I remember a lot of things like that, and it all started with the 1991 Donruss Ryne Sandberg Autograph. I bought one on ebay earlier this year, and am going to complete the set and frame it....to remind me of better times.

Sorry to ramble on and on.
Don't appologize man.
That is a great story! Time with a divorced parent, and the love of collecting!
That is what it's all about. The memories! I'm right there with ya man.

Much better story then, I pulled this nice prospect card and sold it for this amount of money and now i'm hooked on greed. ;)

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL

Thanks Russ. I was so close to my dad back then. Now, not so much. Maybe again one day. Guard...back up.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France

I started collecting in 1988 with a friend of mine. At that time, the chase was for Mark McGwire/Jose Canseco/Bo Jackson. I also believe Mark Grace was one of the cards to get from the 87 Topps. We collected just for fun at the time.
It wasn't until the release in 1990 of the Leaf series that really got me hooked. Seriously, I bought 4 packs of cards and pulled Frank Thomas. That was it. I was hooked.
I collected until I left the US in 92.

Then, in 2005, I asked myself a question: with the internet, can I get cards sent to me here in France. I found the BMB boards, lots of great people, Ebay and I was hooked again. Bought a case of BC from Lawrence and was at it once again.

Frank Thomas remains my favorite player of all times with Willie Mays. There are simply too many cards of his to collect.
A rookie named Chris Young in 2005 caught my eye and I've been collecting him ever since. I still have some decent cards of Thomas and always like getting an auto or patch once in awhile (I of course still have that Leaf RC). Now, Chris Young is the man. I honestly think he'll become so much better with-in the next couple of years. He'll be an all-star down the road.

Well, that's my story. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts