Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bah, Who Needs a High School Diploma?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Jaypers said:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1916

They're overrated anyway.

In his case, they are.

I'm $55k in debt with a college degree and I'm substitute teaching for $90/day. A lot of good those degrees have gotten me so far. Best case scenario I find a job in the coming months for what, $45k/year? And people criticize Harper for positioning himself to get what, a $20 million signing bonus?

totran

Mar 25, 2009
my spouse got her ged ed and went on to graduate with her masters degree from fordham university with a 4.0 grade point avg

dont knock the ged sometimes its the first step to achieving something few others can

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Figured he would pass the test, easily. This is much more significant and important for me, as a fan.....

It was a busy summer for Harper. He was with his new teammates for a couple weeks and then left for about six weeks to play for USA Baseball’s 18-and-under team, helping his country win a gold medal by hitting .294/.375/.588 with four doubles and two home runs over 34 at-bats. He also led the team with two stolen bases in as many attempts.

He continued to hit well when he returned to Southern Nevada for fall ball.
With about 35 scouts—including four high-ranking Nationals executives—and 350 fans in the stands for the team’s final fall game, Harper put on a show, hitting a triple off the center-field wall in his first at-bat and a double in his second at-bat. He grounded out in his third at-bat but saved the best for last, hitting an opposite-field blast over the trees beyond the left-center field wall, more than 400 feet away.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
As fan, as long as Corky can hit a 400 foot bomb or 100 on the radar gun does it really if he is smart or not?

As a fan, if this kid could hit .400 or 70 home runs at the MLB level I will take him on my team!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
muchuckwagon said:
As fan, as long as Corky can hit a 400 foot bomb or 100 on the radar gun does it really if he is smart or not?

As a fan, if this kid could hit .400 or 70 home runs at the MLB level I will take him on my team!

real smooth

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
JEA2880 said:
Jaypers said:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=1916

They're overrated anyway.

In his case, they are.

I'm $55k in debt with a college degree and I'm substitute teaching for $90/day. A lot of good those degrees have gotten me so far. Best case scenario I find a job in the coming months for what, $45k/year? And people criticize Harper for positioning himself to get what, a $20 million signing bonus?

I was thinking about this yesterday actually

The only reason im going to college is so I can get a job as an attorney and make good money.

If I found a job now that paid good enough money $50-$75k a year, I wouldnt go to college for a while.

Sad because like your example, sometimes degrees dont help for a while

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It's too bad that most these days only equate a higher education to the possibility for making more money. There is so much more to aquired intelligence than the potential return of cash. I, for one, would much rather be educated and poor, than wealthy and uneducated.

i think he waited to long. he could be 4 years into his career if he would have left after 8th grade. just imagine the joys of hitting .275 and puberty in durham. i cannot believe that it is this important that this child rushes out and gets a job. would his path be the same if he was going to be the best mcdonalds fry cook? probably not... so let the kid mature at his own pace and enjoy high school.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
At the end of my junior year of high school I finished 1 semester of college by taking classes at school and night school. If I was to go back now and do it over, a GED would have been a great idea. I could have had an associate's by the time my classmates graduated high school and then spent another couple years finishing a couple of BS/BA. I guess you live and learn. Looks like my Dad was right after all.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Education only has value that society puts into it

Society puts more value into money than education here.

Hence thats why more people chose jobs over school

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
There are instances for which and people for whom GED's are a great alternative to a HS diploma. On a whole, it is better to graduate HS and get an undergraduate degree from college. But with everything, there will be people who go the GED route and end up better off than a person with a degree and vice versa. But simply playing the percentages, if you can afford college and are motivated to succeed in college, it will help you in the long run more than not.

Of course it won't work out for everyone, nothing does.

It's easier to get a lot of jobs if you graduated vs a GED, but you can still get that same job with only a GED

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
justinmandawg said:
HPC said:

From the above sentence it would appear you chose a job over education. ;)

I work full time and am going to school part time

The reason is because they are paying for school, if they werent, i'd be in college full time

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
HPC said:
justinmandawg said:
HPC said:

The reason is because they are paying for school, if they werent, i'd be in college full time

I was completely giving you crap. I have no idea your education level. I'll be in college until the day I die. Right now if someone would pay my student loans, I'd all but ***** myself out.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
justinmandawg said:
HPC said:
justinmandawg said:
HPC said:

I was completely giving you crap. I have no idea your education level. I'll be in college until the day I die. Right now if someone would pay my student loans, I'd all but ***** myself out.

LOL

I undertstand!

I am doing it at such a rate that they will rename it the 12 year student after me

:eek:

:lol:

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
i think he waited to long. he could be 4 years into his career if he would have left after 8th grade. just imagine the joys of hitting .275 and puberty in durham. i cannot believe that it is this important that this child rushes out and gets a job. would his path be the same if he was going to be the best mcdonalds fry cook? probably not... so let the kid mature at his own pace and enjoy high school.

ridiculous statement. Let the kid mature at his own pace...he was the best high school player at 16 and if he chooses to pursue his career in juco, then I'd say that's maturing at his own pace. People really need to stop hating on Harper for going after the money and chasing HIS dream.

If your kid could leave high school a few years early in order to have the best chance of pursing his dream (like it or not, this is his best option for that) and he could make a few million dollars in the process, you'd be an absolute idiot not to do it. Kuddos to Harper for doing it. He wants to be a MLB player and he's doing all he can to get to that point as quickly as possible. Don't forget that Harper is actually going to college now rather than wasting 2 more years in high school.

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
andyduke86 said:
notjomommasclint said:

ridiculous statement. Let the kid mature at his own pace...he was the best high school player at 16 and if he chooses to pursue his career in juco, then I'd say that's maturing at his own pace. People really need to stop hating on Harper for going after the money and chasing HIS dream.

If your kid could leave high school a few years early in order to have the best chance of pursing his dream (like it or not, this is his best option for that) and he could make a few million dollars in the process, you'd be an absolute idiot not to do it. Kuddos to Harper for doing it. He wants to be a MLB player and he's doing all he can to get to that point as quickly as possible. Don't forget that Harper is actually going to college now rather than wasting 2 more years in high school.

I'm pretty sure that was intended as sarcasm...

Members online

Latest posts