Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 Topps MVP Promotion (no stamp?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
At first I didn't know this card existed. I thought they only made the MVP Promotion cards for individual players. They were supposed to be #'d/100 (not stamped though) and made for the 198 players in series 1, then again for the 202 players in series 2. I didn't think they made any of the multi player cards.

This card is now listed in beckett as existing (450) and I got it off ebay. These usually have a stamp on the front though and this one doesn't.

Does anybody have any info on these Promotion cards?

w_1999--topps--mvp_promo--450.jpg

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
If I remember correctly they were originally intending to only do the veterans in single player format. But for some reason they ended up doing the entire set with the MVP promotion. At one time I had one of the dual rookie/draft picks MVP Promotion card.

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
djrulz said:
If I remember correctly they were originally intending to only do the veterans in single player format. But for some reason they ended up doing the entire set with the MVP promotion. At one time I had one of the dual rookie/draft picks MVP Promotion card.

do you remember if it was stamped on front?

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
That's an pretty cool find. I wonder if all the cards have been released without foil or if it was just a select few.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I have a Randy Johnson & it has a stamp on front (though I didn't realize these were rare, I actually believed this to be some type of junk promotion/game..Very cool, I'm glad I read this post! :D ).

Thanks for the info buddy, I hope my response helps confirm what you were wondering!
Take care, Dave. :D

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
I have a Randy Johnson & it has a stamp on front (though I didn't realize these were rare, I actually believed this to be some type of junk promotion/game..Very cool, I'm glad I read this post! :D ).

Thanks for the info buddy, I hope my response helps confirm what you were wondering!

Same here....didn't know they were limited to 100.

OnionRing - Was this this 100 sets an actual release number or speculation?

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:

Same here....didn't know they were limited to 100.

OnionRing - Was this this 100 sets an actual release number or speculation?

Stated odds:

mvp.jpg

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
onionring9 said:
djrulz said:

do you remember if it was stamped on front?

It had the MVP stamp on the front.

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
First, congrats on the win. I saw that and thought it looked weird sans the stamp. Even though beckett lists the entire set (including subsets like this) i was also unsure if the subsets were paralleled either, so i think that was the first one of those i saw.

On a side note, ive half-halfheartedly been tracking the matt holliday rc ones. I think the last one i saw (could still be up or at least in completed auctions) EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-Topps-MVP-Matt ... 3a551cda47 didnt have the stamp. HOWEVER im almost positive that ive seen them with the stamp!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
n1astrosfn said:
First, congrats on the win. I saw that and thought it looked weird sans the stamp. Even though beckett lists the entire set (including subsets like this) i was also unsure if the subsets were paralleled either, so i think that was the first one of those i saw.

On a side note, ive half-halfheartedly been tracking the matt holliday rc ones. I think the last one i saw (could still be up or at least in completed auctions) EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-Topps-MVP-Matt ... 3a551cda47 didnt have the stamp. HOWEVER im almost positive that ive seen them with the stamp!

This can be a fun project, try to see if we can find a '99 with/without the stamp.

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
sportscardtheory said:
I'm not sure, but I just saw a normal Jeter MVP Promotion end at over $100. I bid $15 and thought I was safe.

Jeter99ToppsMVPPromotionPR-100.jpg

I won the Jeter but didn't think it would end that high! :eek:

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I would love a 1999 or 2000 Griffey.
Here is the actual winning card that you mailed in for. Thanks Lance
01_MVP_Redemption.jpg

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Be8el0ve said:
sportscardtheory said:
I'm not sure, but I just saw a normal Jeter MVP Promotion end at over $100. I bid $15 and thought I was safe.

!Bf7PeQQ!2k~$(KGrHqIH-E!EsLfG5-PWBLDLptI9T!~~_12.jpg

I won the Jeter but didn't think it would end that high! :eek:

Nice card. I was just trying to get a steal, I never thought it would go that high. I didn't even know they are limited to 100 or less. Since they were to be sent in, there are probably LESS than 100 I would suspect.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
They were only mailed in if the player was picked by Topps for the week. 25 weeks adnd the Frank Thomas above was from week 15 2000. I have no idea where to find the winners so no idea if Jeter won it either year 1999 or 2000?

n1astrosfn

Dec 4, 2008
charlotte
onionring9 said:
This can be a frustrating project, try to see if we can find a '99 with/without the stamp.

fixed it. those two are the only non stamp ones ive seen. too many ifs.........maybe the subset ones werent meant to be paralleled and thats the only one that exists (has anyone seen others????) maybe the ones without them are printing errors and only a handful of those exist (ive never seen a regular player card without it) ive seen maybe 1 or 2 of the bagwells from either 1999 and 2000.

i have this currently:
2000topps.jpg

sportscardtheory said:
Nice card. I was just trying to get a steal, I never thought it would go that high. I didn't even know they are limited to 100 or less. Since they were to be sent in, there are probably LESS than 100 I would suspect.

only the winners wouldve been sent in, and i dont think too many were winners so it shouldnt affect a lot of them. bagwell was a winner one year so i think that could partially explain why ive seen so few. you mostly dont see them cause theyre so rare

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
I do have a Manny Ramirez 99 MVP- with stamp. Beckett lists his card # 455 Bonds/Ramirez/Walker AT MVP version as existing in their list...but I have never seen one. Several of the Griffey guys seemed to have his 99 Topps MVP card on their need list...

1999_Topps_MVP.jpg

brumbach

Never saw one without the stamp, interesting. And manomanomanomanoman, these were rare from the get go back in 1999. Thought you'd get a Geedah for $15? Foolish mortal! I forget what I paid for the Albert Belle back then but I probably put in bezerker high snipe.

Members online

Latest posts