Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cubs Trade Aaron Miles & Jake Fox To Oakland

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
For RHP Jerry Gray, RHP Ronny Morla and OF Matt Spencer

Roto World said:
According to ESPN Chicago, the Cubs have traded Jake Fox and Aaron Miles to the A's for RHP Jeff Gray, RHP Ronny Morla and INF/OF Matt Spencer.

Few details have been revealed, though this is certainly an odd one. Fox was stuck behind a few players on Chicago's depth chart and should get a better crack at playing time in Oakland. That part of the deal makes sense. But it's a wonder why A's GM Billy Beane and Co. would want Miles. Morla, 21, posted a 4.86 ERA at Single-A in 2009. Spencer, 22, hit .294/.347/.461 at Double-A. Dec. 3 - 6:09 pm et

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Hmm, was hoping Jake Fox would land with one of my favorite teams, the M's or the Rays. He should be a force with the bat, unfortunately he'll be in a bad hitting park half the time.

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
::facepalm:: Would have like to have gotten Eric Patterson back. lol With that being said, I hate this trade. Fox is a team player and could play a few different positions. Have a feelin at some point next year, Cubs are going to regret this trade.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Really odd trade to me. It'll be interesting to see how Fox does this year now.

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
As a Cubs fan I like this trade. I liked having Fox's bat to help us, but he doesn't have a position in the field. He plays lots of positions, but none of them well enough to warrant him being an everyday player. I'm unfamiliar with the prospects, but the subtraction of Aaron Miles is a huge plus for the Cubs. He was horrible for the team last year, and to replace him with just about anybody would be an upgrade. It seems to me this deal might be a precursor to a future signing, as Fox and Miles are now off the 40 man roster, and only 1 one the prospects (Gray) was added on.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
pujolsjunkie said:
I would have traded Derrek Lee and put Fox at 1B.

Probably not easy to move a 34 year old 1B making 13 million in the current economy, even as good as Lee is. Pretty sure they'd rather move Soriano anyway, which is even harder. Fox could have played LF. Lee only has one year left anyway, Fox wouldn't have been as good with the bat or the glove most likely, so it wouldn't have helped the team win.

Also, I love Garfield too, but that sig is nearly the size of an actual cat. ;)

henwo

Sep 1, 2008
This looks like a salary dump to jettison Miles and to free up some space on the 40 man, since the prospects they got back aren't really prospects at all. Spencer is the only mildly interesting piece, and even then, he doesn't project to be a full time player.

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
I'm trully pissed right now...Why trade Fox? WTF. Traded Soriano not Fox Hendry you big fat tub of lard. :evil:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Who doyou think is taking soriano right now? Please be reasonable.

Traded Lee right now wouldn't be the best move. The dude is finally healthy and should have a monster year in 2010.

Skrip

Pastretta

Aug 27, 2008
Arizona
ballerskrip said:
Who doyou think is taking soriano right now? Please be reasonable.

Traded Lee right now wouldn't be the best move. The dude is finally healthy and should have a monster year in 2010.

Skrip

:lol: In reality no one...I just do not ever want to see his little hop again! :twisted:

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
The Cardinals will take Soriano if you pay half his salary :lol: :lol:
Cause we are not gonna get Holliday back he wants too much
Miles and Fox are great utility guys you should have kept one of them ::facepalm::

guzman4cy

Aug 18, 2009
craiger122003 said:
The Cardinals will take Soriano if you pay half his salary :lol: :lol:
Cause we are not gonna get Holliday back he wants too much
Miles and Fox are great utility guys you should have kept one of them ::facepalm::

aaron miles hit 185 in 157 ab's. in 2009 he was exact opposite of a great utility guy.

Members online