Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Gregg Zaun Signs With the Brewers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As a Rays fan I'm rather glad we're not keeping him, but I'm guessing you Lucroy and Salome fans aren't too pleased about this news.

Gregg Zaun C Milwaukee Brewers
Height: 5'10' Weight: 205 DOB: 4/14/1971 Age: 38 Bats: S Throws: R
Dec. 4, 2009 - 2:41 p.m. ET

Brewers signed catcher Gregg Zaun to a one-year, $1.9 million contract with an option for 2011 worth $2.25 million.

Zaun has been assured by the Brewers that he will serve as the team's primary catcher. He had a fine rate of production in 2009 -- a .260/.345/.426 batting line in 262 at-bats -- and is definitely an upgrade over Jason Kendall. Zaun had interest from at least three teams before signing with Milwaukee.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Yuck.... nothing personal against Zaun, but do many World Series teams have a guy like him at backstop. And to say he is the starter. I just don't see him as an upgrade.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
As a Rays fan I'm rather glad we're not keeping him, but I'm guessing you Lucroy and Salome fans aren't too pleased about this news.

How come? He performed admirably there and is certainly a better option than Navarro or Shoppach.

I think this is a great move by the Brewers. Any team with young, promising catchers are wise to sign a veteran who can handle the bulk of the duties for 1-2 years because chances are, they're going to need to.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Adamsince1981 said:
Is Salome every going to get a chance?

I'm sure his defense isn't that much worse than Zaun's.

God, I hate Zaun and his Swiss Chalet lovin self. He does commentary for the playoffs in Canada, and I can't figure out if he's got a dip in or his mouth is actually distorted by years of dippin'

braden

Aug 7, 2008
pigskincardboard said:
Adamsince1981 said:
Is Salome every going to get a chance?

I'm sure his defense isn't that much worse than Zaun's.

God, I hate Zaun and his Swiss Chalet lovin self. He does commentary for the playoffs in Canada, and I can't figure out if he's got a dip in or his mouth is actually distorted by years of dippin'

The way he speaks is somewhat irritating but that aside, I've found him to be far and away the best analyst Sportsnet has ever employed.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Pat Borders won an WS MVP for the Blue Jays. Rick Dempsey won a WS MVP for the Orioles.

They both had very similar careers to Zaun.

Exposfan said:
Yuck.... nothing personal against Zaun, but do many World Series teams have a guy like him at backstop. And to say he is the starter. I just don't see him as an upgrade.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
You have to remember the money that will be saved in this move. Kendall made $5 million last year. Even if you don't think Zaun is an upgrade, at a wash it still betterhim back there than Kendall.

Zaun may split a bit more time with Mike Rivera than Kendall did (Kendall was really an ironman when it came to catchers, so he had that), and it's all probably a moot point since Lucroy will most likely be up mid season if he can carry over his last season and his AFL production.

And Adamsince1981-- to answer your question: no. I love Salome, but he'll either be converted, or more likely, traded.

Members online