Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Starting Lineups ever recover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
We all know the mega fall from grace these have suffered the last decade but under the saying "everything old is new again", can these things ever become hot again?

Remember that only about 15 years ago, no one had interest in collecting any "new" card that was made of traditional dark cardboard. But for the last 8 years, new vintage styled cards and paper stock have been hot.

Now, it also appears that 8-16 bit, you know, early Nintendo graphics and gaming, is back in vogue to a point.

Eventually, the kids who grew up collecting and playing with these will like to relive their childhood and go out and try to buy them again. You know, what card and toy collectors do.

Or am I missing a point and the only thing these will be good for in the future will be as door stops?

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
Re: Will Stating Lineups ever recover?

will 1988 topps baseball ever be worth anything? they made bazillions of them SLUs i dont think anyone will ever want them. plus they look really cheap next to the lifelike macfarlanes

I collected starting lineups HARDCORE during their heyday. I still have a bunch of the ones that were in demand. Here are some of my favorites that i still have...

89 A's Team Set
here124-1.jpg

Complete 1989 A's team individual
here147.jpg

Rice & Montana 1988

here134.jpg

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008

I've got the "Dream Team" Team USA set still in the box. I remember that thing was pretty expensive back in it's heyday but has since gone down extremely (though it is still one of the more expensive SLU's). I got mine a few year's back on Ebay for around $25 dlvd & I'm thrilled to have it (as it was one of those collectibles that I wanted back in the day but was out of my price range at the time)! :D

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

I still like SLU's and will eventually collect all of the Dawsons.

What I would like is for McFarlane to make more retired/HOF players.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008

I have about 10 of the exclusive figures sitting on my desk gettting ready to list them (Ripken, Nolan Ryan etc.)
If anyone here is interested in them cheap, send me a PM.

My father passed away in February and we had to get rid of a lot of stuff to sell the house.
We had about 300 assorted SLU and we ended up selling them for about .50 each.
I kept the Cubs and Cardinals and the better ones (exclusives, Jeters, Arod, and Jordans.)

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008

If they do recover I have 12 Jordans, 6 Montanas, 6 Magics that I will unload... :)

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States

I was in the Collector's Club, went to the 96 Convention in Cincinnatti, and have waaay too many boxes--large boxes--full of SLUs from various sports and styles. I have pictures of all the Griffeys in my Buckett that I shared with the Griffey thread waaay back (like on the original Beckett thread.) Been thinking of doing the same for the McGwire and Ripken threads--only to maybe get rid of some of them! :D I loved the Club Exclusives, and searching for the Hot item--I remeber going all over to find the Barry Sanders/Walter Payton Classic Doubles. I have a box of just Cardinals, one of Twins/Vikings, and others by players I have large amounts of (like Ripken, and Mac.) I opened up a few of them over the summer to free up space, and put the cards with my player pages. I would love to display some, but there isn't a place to do so around here.

But I don't know if they'll recover just yet. With the high quality of the McFarlanes, the SLU's just pale in comparison. It may take another five years or more for the nostalgia factor to kick in to overdrive for the market. There are some SLU fan pages out there, so those places would be a better place to feel the pulse of the SLU marketplace.

they provided some great memories and quality time when i was a little kid growin up with my dad. We used to drive all over to stores looking for the big guys from the set. And what we always thought was the case was true. People that worked there took out the big guys and sold them to the local dealers. But still it was fun collecting them. Of the peices i kept, many i donated to charity for a tax write off, i still have these rookie editions

88 Ripken
96 Jeter
96 Chipper
Payton Timeless Legends
98 Manning
98 Moss
98 Pedro
95 Arod
94 Piazza

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston

I think one of the major reasons baseball cards are popular is because they are small and can be stored easily and quickly. With these figures, you can't just put them in a small box. It might sound like a small thing, but people don't want to have to fill a closet with these figurines.

Members online

Latest posts