Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blockbuster trade being talked about Yankees-Tigers-Arizona

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Sources: Yanks have discussed big trade — 10:46 p.m.

This would be a blockbuster.

The Yankees, Diamondbacks and Tigers have discussed a three-way trade that would send Tigers center fielder Curtis Granderson to New York and right-hander Edwin Jackson to Arizona, major-league sources say.

The talks are at an impasse, according to one source. The proposed deal is being pushed by the D-Backs, but was rejected by at least one of the two other teams, the source says.

While trade talks are fluid and the names involved could change, sources say the following scenario is under discussion:

• The Yankees would receive Granderson from the Tigers and one or two prospects from the Diamondbacks.

• The Diamondbacks would get Jackson from the Tigers and right-hander Ian Kennedy from the Yankees.

• The Tigers would get right-hander Max Scherzer from the Diamondbacks, and center fielder Austin Jackson and left-handed relievers Phil Coke and Michael Dunn from the Yankees. -- Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
This seems like a lateral move for the D-Backs, Scherzer and prospects for Jackson and Kennedy? Unless they really believe Kennedy can be a mid-rotaton starter, doesn't seem to make sense.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
I would be all for it.

All we basically give up is our potentially All-Star caliber CF for an All-Star caliber CF. Relievers can be replaced.

I just do not see Kennedy fitting in the big picture in NY.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
The deal would send Curtis Granderson to the Yanks, along with a prospect or two from the D'Backs. Arizona would obtain Edwin Jackson from the Tigers and Ian Kennedy from the Yankees. The Tigers would obtain Max Scherzer from the D'Backs and Austin Jackson, Phil Coke and Michael Dunn from the Yanks."

From the Tigers perspective it all boils down to.. in my opinion, of course..

Max Scherzer > Edwin Jackson (Just a personal opinion)
Austin Jackson, Phil Coke, and Michael Dunn < Curtis Granderson

Pretty strong deal. I think New York needs the extra prospects considering they're essentially giving up Austin Jackson, Ian Kennedy, Phil Coke, and Michael Dunn for Curtis Granderson.

From the Diamondbacks perspective..

Max Scherzer > Edwin Jackson (Again, just a personal opinion)
Two prospects (Fringe prospects I'm guessing?) < Ian Kennedy

I think the Diamondbacks are getting the short end of the stick, if anyone. I do prefer Scherzer over Jackson though. I'm sure some don't.

rbrownaz

Jun 2, 2009
Can't see the Dbacks going ahead with this unless they really believe Jackson is an upgrade on Scherzer (who is younger and under team control longer). Dbacks need pitching bad though, and giving up one starter for possibly two (assuming the prospects aren't too high end) could work in their favor. Personally, I wouldn't want to see this trade get done. Scherzer is an upgrade on Jackson (opinion) and hasn't yet had a chance to pitch a season where innings aren't an issue.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Please inform me but Am I missing something here? Max Scherzer is what 25/26? and I know his ERA was over 4.00 in the NL..... So please fill me in, why are they so hesitant to trade Max?

All comments would be helpful, Thanks.

Shep :ugeek:

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
shephech said:
Please inform me but Am I missing something here? Max Scherzer is what 25/26? and I know his ERA was over 4.00 in the NL..... So please fill me in, why are they so hesitant to trade Max?

because he has two different color eyes.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
shephech said:

Because a 4+ ERA turns into a sub 3 ERA in the AL.

Oh wait, thats not right,

a 4+ ERA turns into a 5+ ERA in the AL

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
stevezimmer22 said:
shephech said:

Well.... thanks for clearing that up ;)

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
shephech said:
stevezimmer22 said:
shephech said:

Well.... thanks for clearing that up ;)

Maybe the NL is full of dog lovers?

Or maybe its because he looks like a Husky :?:
6a00d8341c681b53ef0120a5937c6a970b-500wi.jpg
max-scherzer.jpg

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
vwnut13 said:
shephech said:

Because a 4+ ERA turns into a sub 3 ERA in the AL.

Oh wait, thats not right,

a 4+ ERA turns into a 5+ ERA in the AL

And that's what I thought too..... I don't like the sound of this deal at all! being a tigers fan, Now I really like Ajax though.

FYI- That's a nasty Jeter my friend :!: :!: :!: But to be honest I would sell.... Have you decided what your going to do with it?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
shephech said:

Why wouldn't they be hesitant? He's young, very talented, cheap, cheap for a while and has had success in the bigs already, despite pitching in a hitter friendly park with a bad defense. There's nothing in this proposed deal that is worth moving him for, that's why I imagine they're hesitant.