Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need some opinions- approximate trade value?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I may be trading this towards a larger card, just wanted to see what you guys think may be a fair value?

The patch was from the 2008 all-star game workout, the final season of the Old Yankee stadium, and I believe Arod and Mariano Rivera are the only Yankees in the whole set:

arodttt.jpg

Does around $1200-$1500 sound about right?

Thanks ahead for your opinions!!

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Thanks guys! Sometimes you gotta give up the good stuff to help the pursuit of the set!!!

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I think that the "trade" value would be a tad higher considering a Manny sold for over 700 and he's probably a 2nd tier star. Cash value would probably be around 1200-1500 and trade value would possibly be a big higher, maybe around 1800-2000. I mean, its the WHOLE frackin patch!

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
mudflap02 said:
In other words, probably about the same price as an actual A-Rod gamer.

for real?? you can get an Arod gamer for $1500? From where?

As for the card, hope you are getting someone legendary from the flashbacks set because you are giving up one hell of a card, that has some real history to it.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
The price is insane, but 800-1100 would be my guess. There are some ridiculous A-Rod collectors out there who are willing to drop that much on a HR Derby/Batting Practice logo. Doesn't make sense to me, but I don't collect that.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
G $MONEY$ said:
mudflap02 said:

As for the card, hope you are getting someone legendary from the flashbacks set because you are giving up one hell of a card, that has some real history to it.

[ebay:27biuenq]130348024943[/ebay:27biuenq]

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
mudflap02 said:
G $MONEY$ said:
mudflap02 said:

[ebay:2apjy0ua]130348024943[/ebay:2apjy0ua]

Thats soo much better then a card with 1 patch of the complete jersey. I still think 2200 is insane, but its way better then a card for the same price IMO

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
And I am in no way saying that it's not a great card, it is. I'm just amazed at the prices that some of these unique patches bring, when you put it in perspective. Topps has just proven to me time and time again that I can't take their word for anything (not that UD is much better.) Provenance is just sort of important to me, and GU cards just don't do it. I can't take a card company's word as gospel that it is exactly what they say it is. Look at the buttons in Topps Unique for example. To each his own.

Think about it like this: the companies are essentially making a promise to you, stating that what is on the card is what they say it is. Redemption cards are promises as well, stating that they will eventually provide you with a certain card. How many of us are waiting on redemptions that will probably never be produced? How many of us have gotten burned badly when a redemption was replaced, essentially the card company breaking the promise that they made when they issued the card? Just trying to look at the bigger picture, and not trying to derail the thread (although that's exactly what's happening.) The decision to collect GU is up to each of us as individual collectors, and if someone decides that a certain card fits nicely into their collection, then more power to them.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
mudflap02 said:
And I am in no way saying that it's not a great card, it is. I'm just amazed at the prices that some of these unique patches bring, when you put it in perspective. Topps has just proven to me time and time again that I can't take their word for anything (not that UD is much better.) Provenance is just sort of important to me, and GU cards just don't do it. I can't take a card company's word as gospel that it is exactly what they say it is. Look at the buttons in Topps Unique for example. To each his own.

Think about it like this: the companies are essentially making a promise to you, stating that what is on the card is what they say it is. Redemption cards are promises as well, stating that they will eventually provide you with a certain card. How many of us are waiting on redemptions that will probably never be produced? How many of us have gotten burned badly when a redemption was replaced, essentially the card company breaking the promise that they made when they issued the card? Just trying to look at the bigger picture, and not trying to derail the thread (although that's exactly what's happening.) The decision to collect GU is up to each of us as individual collectors, and if someone decides that a certain card fits nicely into their collection, then more power to them.

Awesomeness! Thats all that needs to be said. There is solid info out there that shows 30-50% of GU cards(especially retired/hof) are in fact event worn, or manufactured. This is why I don't purchase GU anymore, and also modern cards for that fact.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
"game worn" or "event worn" can be something that is literally put on for two seconds and taken off and shipped to the card company for cutting.

I do like this specific card cause it commemorates a specific special event.

I understand your arguments about buying a patch card versus the whole jersey, the latter of which has its own authenticity issues.

You see people pay ten times as much for cut autographs ALL THE TIME- Mantle ones for $400 versus $4000!!!

So, sometimes more doesn't necessarily have to mean more expensive, alot of people collect just cards.

ARod could theoretically wear 162 gamers a year- that's not very rare either.

Either way, it's a neat card, and there are probably better things for me to purchase with the value estimates you have given to me. Some ARod collector will REALLY enjoy this one if I end up trading it cause the dealer is not going to sit on it. Thanks again for everyone's input, and yes, I'm after one of the biggies for my set!!!

Members online

Latest posts