Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Lowell traded to the Rangers?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Wow, I hope the Rangers back out. IF they sign Beltre and dont trade for Gonzalez or Cabrera, this may be the worst move in the Theo era, and thats saying something.

soxrchamps07

Aug 7, 2008
Deal done pending aproval by Selig.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... Id=rss_mlb
...........................................................................................................

Don't be shocked to see the Sox turn around and include Ramirez in a package for Halladay. Jays want a young and talented major league ready catcher, Ramirez fits the bill i think. Also, with Lowell traded this sets the stage for an Adrian Beltre Signing.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
its definately a move to free up 3rd base for Youk full time and also to get younger.. Lowell is a Boston favorite but he is ageing and injuries are meaning lost time. Getting younger is never a bad thing. Now the Red Sox need to address first base.. unless they play Youk at first full time and trade for a third baseman..

either way props to Theo.. he brought Lowell in and he produced and he has to make that tough decision to ship him out which longterm will be good for the team. Too bad he's still stuck with a JD Drew nobody wants...

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
1st4040 said:
its definately a move to free up 3rd base for Youk full time and also to get younger.. Lowell is a Boston favorite but he is ageing and injuries are meaning lost time. Getting younger is never a bad thing. Now the Red Sox need to address first base.. unless they play Youk at first full time and trade for a third baseman..

either way props to Theo.. he brought Lowell in and he produced and he has to make that tough decision to ship him out which longterm will be good for the team. Too bad he's still stuck with a JD Drew nobody wants...

I disagree with most of your points. I do agree that this frees up 1B for a potential trade with Youk shifting to third. The Red Sox are stacked in the minors with young, projectible catching talent in Wagner, Exposito, Federowicz, and Lavernway, so flipping Ramirez as part of a big package to land Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera seems logical. Also, Belte is the only decent 3B available in the current F/A market, and with what he is going to command, there is no way that the Sox sign him. Second, Theo did not bring Lowell in. The Beckett/Lowell for Hanley/Sanchez deal was completed while Theo was on hiatus. Many believe that the deal would have never been completed if Theo had been in control at the time. Third, I absolutely love the production that the Sox get from Drew. I appreciate having the second best RF in the AL playing for my team.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Jays_Cards said:
Third, I absolutely love the production that the Sox get from Drew. I appreciate having the second best RF in the AL playing for my team.

Psh, who actually looks at stats?

I agree with this move, and know that it welcomes a new Adrian to town. Now the question is, will it be Beltre, or Gonzalez.

I also think this clears the way for Buchholz, Ramirez, Rizzo + to get shipped to Toronto for Halladay.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
baseballguy350 said:
Jays_Cards said:
Third, I absolutely love the production that the Sox get from Drew. I appreciate having the second best RF in the AL playing for my team.

Psh, who actually looks at stats?

I agree with this move, and know that it welcomes a new Adrian to town. Now the question is, will it be Beltre, or Gonzalez.

I also think this clears the way for Buchholz, Ramirez, Rizzo + to get shipped to Toronto for Halladay.

Im hoping the 2nd scenerio happens. If Theo signs Beltre, he looks like a clown for this trade.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
MallCopKJ said:
If Theo signs Beltre, he looks like a clown for this trade.

From a defensive standpoint
Scutaro > Lugo/Green/Lowrie
Beltre >>> Lowell

The worst left side defense in the infield has been corrected.

And hey, if you listen to Scott Boras, Beltre is better offensively then Jason Bay. Takes one brass ball to say that. :D

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
ON a side note : Red Sox Acquire Boof Bonser.

The Red Sox acquired pitcher Boof Bonser, according to the pitcher's agency Reynolds Sports Management. Bonser was designated for assignment on Tuesday to make room for Carl Pavano. The 28-year-old had labrum and rotator cuff surgery in February. Bonser sports a 5.12 ERA, 7.3 K/9, and 2.9 BB/9 over 391.6 career innings spanning three seasons.

I added in here since its not really worthy of a thread on its own. :D

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
baseballguy350 said:
MallCopKJ said:

Beltre >>> Lowell

And hey, if you listen to Scott Boras, Beltre is better offensively then Jason Bay. Takes one brass ball to say that. :D

From a defensive standpoint they improve but I look at it as spending about $20-$21 million to get Adrian Beltre. They spend $9 mill to trade Lowell and I think its going to take $11-$12 mill/season to sign Beltre.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
8:51am: Heyman believes this deal is better than 50-50 to get done, with the Red Sox paying $9MM. MLB.com's Ian Browne says Rangers GM Jon Daniels confirmed the discussions but emphasized the deal is not done.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
MallCopKJ said:
baseballguy350 said:
MallCopKJ said:

Beltre >>> Lowell

From a defensive standpoint they improve but I look at it as spending about $20-$21 million to get Adrian Beltre. They spend $9 mill to trade Lowell and I think its going to take $11-$12 mill/season to sign Beltre.

And the way I look at it, the Sox paying $9 mm of Lowell's salary, is like adding $9 mm to a Halladay/A-Gon deal, assuming Ramirez, or one of the other Sox catching prospects (Expo) who now has a replacement is traded.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
baseballguy350 said:
MallCopKJ said:
baseballguy350 said:
MallCopKJ said:

Beltre >>> Lowell

And the way I look at it, the Sox paying $9 mm of Lowell's salary, is like adding $9 mm to a Halladay/A-Gon deal, assuming Ramirez, or one of the other Sox catching prospects (Expo) who now has a replacement is traded.

This deal is a pre-cursor to another move no matter which way you view it. Either the sox will sign Beltre to play 3rd, Nick Johnson to play 1st with Youk going to third, a deal for Adrian Gonzalez with Youk at 3rd, or a deal for Halladay with a replacement guy going to 3rd. I wonder how long Max Ramirez stays in the sox system. I can't imagine they view Ramirez as their catcher of the future, as they are bound to hit at least one average player with the rest of the catchers in the system.

If Beltre does end up being the answer at 3rd, the left side of the defense could end up going from one of the worst in baseball to one of the best with Scutaro and Beltre

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
baseballguy350 said:
mredsox89 said:
I wonder how long Max Ramirez stays in the sox system.
Andy Marte was on the Sox roster for exactly 49 days.... Ramirez will be on the roster for less total days. Take that to the bank.

I'd set the over under on 30 days, and would probably bet the under. The sox basically just paid 9 million for Ramirez to flip him in another deal. From the outside it might seem crazy, but if getting that catcher to put in the deal seals it for either Halladay or Gonzalez it would be well worth it. A lot of people think Ramirez was acquired in an attempt to help Toronto's desire for Montero in a Halladay deal

yakacack

Apr 13, 2009
Tampa, FL
Bosox3 said:
ON a side note : Red Sox Acquire Boof Bonser.

The Red Sox acquired pitcher Boof Bonser, according to the pitcher's agency Reynolds Sports Management. Bonser was designated for assignment on Tuesday to make room for Carl Pavano. The 28-year-old had labrum and rotator cuff surgery in February. Bonser sports a 5.12 ERA, 7.3 K/9, and 2.9 BB/9 over 391.6 career innings spanning three seasons.

I added in here since its not really worthy of a thread on its own. :D

Sucks that not one, but now TWO guys I know well play for the damn Sox :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts