Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How rare? 1986 Donruss Highlights WHITE LETTERS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Some years ago I bought a 1986 Donruss HL card of Boggs because the word "Highlights" was in white letters instead of the common yellow.

One of the big books makes mention of these variations but I cant recall there being any listed on ebay and theres no info on Google.

Does anyone have any info on these errors?

I know theres Canseco, Mattingly, Clark, Brett cards in there and those guys have some hardcore collectors.

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks for the bv. I knew it was low but I wonder if the real world sell value on these is crazy (due to player colelctors) high or if it doeant matter/ no one knows.

I paid like $5 for the Boggs but would rather just keep it than sell even for book. I like these type of rare odd ball error cards.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
011873 said:
Thanks for the bv. I knew it was low but I wonder if the real world sell value on these is crazy (due to player colelctors) high or if it doeant matter/ no one knows.

I paid like $5 for the Boggs but would rather just keep it than sell even for book. I like these type of rare odd ball error cards.

No problem. i got it out of the 2008 SCD Standard Catalog

they mention its pretty rare and popular with player collectors

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Good topic! Didn't think there was too many collectors who knew of that variation.

I have the Will Clark. I have had it for years. I'm pretty sure I paid $20 or so. I know it wasn't crazy high, but I haven't seen another one listed for quite awhile. They are very tough and I'm pretty sure it would be one of those cards player collectors would love to pay "book" for. I'd pay book for other players just to relist for flipping purposes.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
clarkfan said:
Good topic! Didn't think there was too many collectors who knew of that variation.

I have the Will Clark. I have had it for years. I'm pretty sure I paid $20 or so. I know it wasn't crazy high, but I haven't seen another one listed for quite awhile. They are very tough and I'm pretty sure it would be one of those cards player collectors would love to pay "book" for. I'd pay book for other players just to relist for flipping purposes.

could yo ube kind enough to post a scan?

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Sure, I don't have a scanner, so bear with me on the pics, but hopefully, you can still get the idea:

regular one:

l_53a287db76e64c539412a49f49b618ab.png

white lettered one:

l_c9a5c956ce3246b4900714f99cbf63db.png

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
But I have no idea how they were released or a print run estimate. I always thought it was some sort of test printing and not intended as a legitimate variation or for public distribution. Way rarer than 20 times harder to find though. I 'm pretty sure I could find 50 to 100 sets with the regular bronze before I found 1 with a white.

Jul 30, 2009
I bought mine several years ago at The National from a guy who knew what it was.

If I remember correctly, he had other players but for more money.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I bought mine off of ebay years ago, but it wasn't from a set, just a random listing. Of course, the original ones were only in factory sets, but not sure how the white ones were released. It could be sets though. I vaguely remember the same seller having a few other white lettered ones at the time I got the Clark.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
According to my guide, all the players in the set can be found with the White variation. I just wonder if you had one of these sets if every card would be the white variation or just random. Looking at the Will Clark version above, the box around the name is white too.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
KLARNOLD said:
According to my guide, all the players in the set can be found with the White variation. I just wonder if you had one of these sets if every card would be the white variation or just random. Looking at the Will Clark version above, the box around the name is white too.

I guess you could find a set with the whole set being white lettered. Just never saw them listed like that . . . always by individual player, but it's been a long time since I've seen one. But then again, I don't search for them either, so unless it was a Clark listed, I probably wouldn't find it anyway.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I also need a Puckett but I have never seen one. I was just having a conversation with a fellow Puckett collector who is really in to promos/errors etc. and he was looking for one too. I can't remember if he already had one or not though.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I picked up and sold a Boggs for $47.50, still the only one I've seen in years, but I really don't search them out either, so maybe some others have been listed that I missed. Anyone else pick up their player from the set? Still interested to know definitive answer on how these were released.