Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What do you guys think is too much for S&H?

What is "too much" to pay for S&H for 1 card

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
I had someone leave feedback for me yesterday, indicating that my S&H fee was too high, "when in reality it's only .44". I responded that a bubble mailer package that included D/D costs a lot more than that to ship (almost 4 times that amount), but I'm sure that will matter little to the guy.

What do you guys think is "too much" to pay for S&H? Presume we're talking a bubble mailer with D/C, and not some PWE shipper. The poll is set for one option to select, since obviously anything above that selection would be too high as well.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I've always charged either $3 or $3.50 for my auctions on eBay. Used to be $3.50 and then I lowered it to $3 cause $3.50 seemed a little too high to me. So I voted for $4 since I've never charged that much and never will for a single card just regular shipping.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I certainly don't want to pay a lot if I pick up some cheap Upton parallel, but for a decent auto/gu, I don't have too much of a problem if shipping is 3 or less. But I'd expect DC, bubble mailer, and adequate protection.

rctdw

Sep 2, 2008
I would think probally anything over 3.00 is too much. They way i package them it usually cost me 2.19 for postage with delivery confirmation.

Thanks
Ryan

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
I can live with up to 3.00 if it is packaged properly, above that is a little excessive IMO.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Anything over $3.00 is too much. I know for a fact that it only costs $1.52 to send 1-4 cards by printing a label through paypal. Plus the cost of the envelope and other supplies shouldn't cost more than that. But of course there will be some idiot that will post in here that they can't send for that and they HAVE to charge more.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Has anyone else caught themselves looking at other things on eBay and upon seeing the shipping charges thinking, "Good lord, that's ridiculously expensive!" because you're comparing it to card shipping prices? Cause I find myself doing that all the time. Even if I don't know how much it would actually cost to ship the item I'm looking at.

Jul 30, 2009
Reply back that you can write his name and address on the toploader, put a stamp on it and see if he gets it.

Oh, dont forget to mention that you'll use a soft sleeve too.

Problem is that many people think EVERYONE pays 35 cents or less for their bubbles.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Rickzcards said:
Anything over $3.00 is too much. I know for a fact that it only costs $1.52 to send 1-4 cards by printing a label through paypal. Plus the cost of the envelope and other supplies shouldn't cost more than that. But of course there will be some idiot that will post in here that they can't send for that and they HAVE to charge more.

For a bubble mailer w/DC it usaully runs me 2.15 ish.

I even get less then 5 stars sometimes when I issue free shipping. I just think some people are always crabby.

I think 2.50 -3.00 is as much as it should be at the very highest

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Weimer said:
Has anyone else caught themselves looking at other things on eBay and upon seeing the shipping charges thinking, "Good lord, that's ridiculously expensive!" because you're comparing it to card shipping prices? Cause I find myself doing that all the time. Even if I don't know how much it would actually cost to ship the item I'm looking at.
I do and unless it's something I really want I won't bid. Sellers should realize that the DSR stars can affect their being able to sell on ebay and if they are unreasonable with their S&H charges then they will get dinged. Anyone that charges $3 or less gets 5 stars, $3.50 gets 4, $4 gets 3, and anything over that will get one. I know that everyone won't agree with me on that but that's how I do it.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
I voted $3.00

I charge $2.00 with combined shipping... you pay $2.00 regardless of how many items you buy. Most of my items are pretty cheap... but if I sell something for above $20 I add DC.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
When I ship via Paypal, I insure all my items and include DC. My shipping price is $3.50 and that doesn't include the cost of the bubble mailer. I also display the postage amount on the label so the buyer knows how much shipping alone was. Nobody has complained yet via email but my DSR for shipping and handling charges is 4.6/5.0 (I guess that is a complaint).

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
You also have to factor in handling fees as well, which no one wants to do. Not everyone has the same opportunity to get to the post office and mail stuff, so it makes sense that the opportunity costs of doing so would be higher for some than others. I voted for $4.

The thing that really bothers me is when sellers don't discount shipping when multiple items are won and then ship everything in one mailer.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
I voted $3.50 taking in all the factors.... $2.00 for shipping with DC, plus maybe they purchase a bubble mailer we are talking 0.75 cents to a buck, then toploader (0.15-0.20?) Sleeve (0.03 cents?) Teambag (0.05-0.10)

Then we are at about $2.98-$3.33.... so yeah anything over $3.50 under the circumstances you mentioned is too much IMO.

Shep :ugeek:

EDIT: Gas.... ::facepalm:: should that be taken into account?

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
I voted $4. If it's an expensive card I expect a little extra care with packaging and prices will reflect that, and if it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum I don't mind a seller sneaking a few cents in the backdoor through higher shipping charges. To be honest I just can't get that worked up over $1 one way or the other...and I'm shocked when some people do.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think if someone charges 2 dollars for handling fees, that's well within reason.

If I don't have any bubble mailers on hand, the post office charges 1.50! Throw in the 2.20 for actual shipping and we're already at 3.70. I have no problem billing my time at minimum wage even though it's worth a lot more than that and Bammo, you're at 5.00.

The problem is, buyers are too stupid to understand actual costs.

A larger seller gets his mailers for .35 cents, and when you go to mail the products you're splitting 20 minutes between 10 people or more.

Suddenly their overhead is 48 cents rather than the 2.80 it costs to ship out a single item. There are a plethora of reasons why letting buyers rate the fairness of shipping charges is absurd, and this is one of 'em.

The market already lends advantages to larger sellers: Buyers do consider S&H charges, even if it's just at 80% (there are studies that say it may actually be 120%, not the point tho).

So the smaller business is seeing less money in his pocket to begin with because for the most part a 20 dollar card will sell for 20 - shipping.

The market rather than a buyer's rating of shipping charges should provide large-volume sellers an advantage.

eBays whole rating system is flawed.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
jlecates said:
I voted $4. If it's an expensive card I expect a little extra care with packaging and prices will reflect that, and if it's on the cheaper end of the spectrum I don't mind a seller sneaking a few cents in the backdoor through higher shipping charges. To be honest I just can't get that worked up over $1 one way or the other...and I'm shocked when some people do.

I agree, if it's $2.50 or $3.50 I don't really care.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
I go out on a limb and figure the shipping as a part of the price of the card so it doesn't really matter what someone's shipping costs. I adjust my bid by what the total cost will be and what I'm willing to pay. It's not a tough idea. I wonder if the people that bitch about shipping don't consider the cost of up-keep, taxes, etc when purchasing a home or a car?

Members online

Latest posts