Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lackey to Red Sox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
This would surprise me to be honest. I 've felt whoever ends up with Lackey is going to regret it in 2-3 years. I assume he'll command a 4-5 year deal and that's just something I wouldn't expect from the normally sound Red Sox. Lackey's 31, is showing some injury concerns and has been brutal at Fenway over his career (smallish sample size, of course). I guess if it opens the door to trading Buccholz but this still seems more like a Yankees move than a Sox one.

And, unfortunately for the Jays, this would bump Scutaro's compensation pick to the 2nd round. Not that I expected it to remain a 1st but disappointing nonetheless.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
rumor is..it might be 5 yr/82.6 mil.

If this deal happens..I see buchh being moved very shortly.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Bosox3 said:

Agreed. Only way I saw them signing Lackey is if they had a deal in place for a bat centered around Clay.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
Bosox3 said:

Yikes, if this happens Beckett won't be betting a new contract from the Sox next year. That would be a ton of $ for two pitchers

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Matsuzaka/Chapman. Send Buchholz, Papelbon, and a couple prospects to San Diego for Gonzalez. Sign Capps as stop gap to Bard as closer. Sign Holliday with the money saved from Papelbon?

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
mredsox89 said:
rebelpawn said:
Bosox3 said:

Yikes, if this happens Beckett won't be betting a new contract from the Sox next year. That would be a ton of $ for two pitchers

Except foxsports has Beckett working on a multi-year deal :)
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10523180/Source:-Lackey-has-BoSox-physical;-deal-close?

Awesome! Thanks for the link. It would be nice to have Lackey/ Beckett/ Lester all locked up long term. Pretty decent rotation there.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Tomlinson21RB said:
Lester/Beckett/Lackey/Matsuzaka/Chapman. Send Buchholz, Papelbon, and a couple prospects to San Diego for Gonzalez. Sign Capps as stop gap to Bard as closer. Sign Holliday with the money saved from Papelbon?

Chapman isn't going to start in the major leagues this year. Holliday's price is going to be a lot more than Papelbon and there isn't any way that the Padres are going to take on salary in an Adrian Gonzalez deal.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:

I can't imagine the Padres wanting anything to do with Papelbon. He's about to get paid handsomely.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
LLWesMan said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Chapman isn't going to start in the major leagues this year. Holliday's price is going to be a lot more than Papelbon and there isn't any way that the Padres are going to take on salary in an Adrian Gonzalez deal.

Whats the difference between offering a major league deal and a minor league deal? Report was Chapman was offered a major league deal.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
LLWesMan said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

Whats the difference between offering a major league deal and a minor league deal? Report was Chapman was offered a major league deal.

You can have a major league deal and still play in the minors. There's no way on earth Chapman starts in the bigs in 2010, especially on a team like Boston (or NY).

bmoore997

Mar 9, 2009
Good signing for the sox.

Bad news for the Jays as this almost certainly now elimanates the Red Sox from trading for Halladay.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
bmoore997 said:
Good signing for the sox.

Bad news for the Jays as this almost certainly now elimanates the Red Sox from trading for Halladay.

If it closes with Lackey signing with the Sox I think it makes the Angels the most likely landing spot for Halladay. Toronto insisted on Buchholz/Kelly from the Sox, and probably passed up a better deal than LAA will be able to offer.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
joey12508 said:
jon heyman says they have a deal 85 million for five years. :shock:

Why the shock? He's been "worth" 92M over the past 5 seasons according to fangraphs. Burnett was worth 73.5M the 5 seasons prior to NY. Burnett comes with a higher risk of injury.
When it comes to contracts in the AL east, you have to view them as a separate entity, whether its the Sox needing to keep pace with the Yanks or NY needing to pay players significantly more than market value to get them to come to NY.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
No Red Sox fans can complain about this signing. EVERYONE ******* when the Smoltz and Penny experiences blew up in their face. The "best" out there besides Lackey were Harden, Sheets and probably Duchscherer. All of whom are often injured or coming off major injury. At some point they needed to sign a sure thing.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
MallCopKJ said:
No Red Sox fans can complain about this signing. EVERYONE ******* when the Smoltz and Penny experiences blew up in their face. The "best" out there besides Lackey were Harden, Sheets and probably Duchscherer. All of whom are often injured or coming off major injury. At some point they needed to sign a sure thing.

Yea, i still think they should sign 1/2 of those reclamation guys. But you can't rely on them + unproven prospects as your 4/5 starters in a big market.

Beckett
Lester
Lackey
Dice-k
Buchholz/Wake/Tazawa/Bowden/Injury guy

I still think that Buchholz gets moved if Lackey is finalized and Lowell ends up in Texas.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
mredsox89 said:
MallCopKJ said:

Yea, i still think they should sign 1/2 of those reclamation guys. But you can't rely on them + unproven prospects as your 4/5 starters in a big market.

Beckett
Lester
Lackey
Dice-k

I still think that Buchholz gets moved if Lackey is finalized and Lowell ends up in Texas.

I agree lol as much as I ******* as well, I would love to see them take a shot at Duchscherer. Who do you think they would take a run at with Buchholz? Im actually coming around to the idea of signing Nick Johnson to play 1st and moving Youk to third but if they can get Cabrera, Gonzalez or (probably the longest shot) Fielder I would be more than happy.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
MallCopKJ said:
mredsox89 said:
MallCopKJ said:

Beckett
Lester
Lackey
Dice-k

I agree lol as much as I ******* as well, I would love to see them take a shot at Duchscherer. Who do you think they would take a run at with Buchholz? Im actually coming around to the idea of signing Nick Johnson to play 1st and moving Youk to third but if they can get Cabrera, Gonzalez or (probably the longest shot) Fielder I would be more than happy.

Gonzalez. I believe that Hoyer and Theo are working behind closed doors, and their friendship is helping keep things out of the media. I would absolute flip out if the sox landed Gonzalez, Lackey, Scutaro in this offseason.

Members online

Latest posts