Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How often does BGS update their population report?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
EricInCT said:
Two days after the grades popped for my last order.

My last order popped on 12/2/09 and they still aren't showing. I know they aren't showing up since I'm probably the only one sending in andruw crusades.

On a side note, with the amount of re-subs and people cracking non 9.5's I don't think the population report is real accurate anyways.

I wonder if any low numbered card (say, a hot prospect /25) has been submitted more times than the print run.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
It's been a long time since I've sent any cards to be graded, but when I did they updated their database right away.

As for accuracy of their database...I recently contacted them to let them know that I cracked this card out of its case. To paraphrase their response:
"Thanks for letting us know, but we don't update the database when this happens. For every person who lets us know, there are likely dozens who do not. The database isn't a reflection of how many cards of a particular grade are currently in the market. Instead, it's a reflection of how many of a particular card received a particular grade over time."

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Fandruw25 said:
EricInCT said:

My last order popped on 12/2/09 and they still aren't showing. I know they aren't showing up since I'm probably the only one sending in andruw crusades.

On a side note, with the amount of re-subs and people cracking non 9.5's I don't think the population report is real accurate anyways.

I wonder if any low numbered card (say, a hot prospect /25) has been submitted more times than the print run.

Sometimes it is by the set. For example if you put in Jesus Montero you won't see any contenders. You have to look under 2008 contenders. Then look at Rookie tickets. then look for montero.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I don't understand why all players' cards aren't listed underneath them. Brett anderson for example....I just got back a blue refractor autograph of his. Yet, i can't find it anywhere.

skrip

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Give Beckett a break...their website is still a crazed "Frankensite" with the "new" still in beta-mode attached to the old.

Talk about a "cut'n'run" website job.

With the amount of turnover and unrest, just be happy they can open the front door to the office each morning.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Give Beckett a break...their website is still a crazed "Frankensite" with the "new" still in beta-mode attached to the old.

Talk about a "cut'n'run" website job.

With the amount of turnover and unrest, just be happy they can open the front door to the office each morning.

Thanked Mike!

229551714_a5b4f7bc43.jpg

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
For a real treat, look at the population reports of PSA AND Beckett of the same card. So many people break open cases and re-submit to the other company, thus doubling up a lot of cards' total graded population.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Fandruw25 said:
EricInCT said:

There are cards with print runs of 100 that have population reports of over 100.

I also know a card with a print run of 5 that has a population report of 3 because the owner submitted the card three times and no other ones have been graded. Each time he got the same grade, and the pop report reflects each time he submits, not the true population of that graded card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Don't blame me. I mailed in the flips after I cracked a couple 8.5s out. Don't know if they ever updated the numbers.

When BGS started, I was under the impression that their grading DB and the population DB were tied together, so they'd be updated basically simultaneously. But they've gone the way of their grading standards, apparently. And unsurprisingly.

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
For what it is worth, my last shipment of 9 Andruw Jones cards are listed in the population report. This was 8/29/09.

As for it being 100% accurate, it would be impossible for them to have this be 100%. Well, maybe for serial numbered cards, they could keep track of them and delete any previous grade of the card with that serial number. But I am not sure that would be a good thing either. Un-serial numbered cards would be impossible to track resubs. I know for a fact there are not currently 12 BGS 9 Bowman Best RC Refractors of Andruw Jones out there. One of them is currently in a BGS 9.5 holder.

jhk

Sep 19, 2009
North Kakalaki
AndruwHRJones said:
For what it is worth, my last shipment of 9 Andruw Jones cards are listed in the population report. This was 8/29/09.

As for it being 100% accurate, it would be impossible for them to have this be 100%. Well, maybe for serial numbered cards, they could keep track of them and delete any previous grade of the card with that serial number. But I am not sure that would be a good thing either. Un-serial numbered cards would be impossible to track resubs. I know for a fact there are not currently 12 BGS 9 Bowman Best RC Refractors of Andruw Jones out there. One of them is currently in a BGS 9.5 holder.

yep, i can vouch for that... it was my BGS 9 Jones Refractor that was converted... of course NOT by me... ::facepalm::
Only SOLD it b/c i KNEW it wasn't Gem Quality... ugh..

Members online

Latest posts