Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Wow! First Bad Experience With Trading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
So I post how I pulled the Raul Ibanez Heritage Red Auto Redemption on here and another board.
And a guy from the other board asks me if I am selling it. I tell him, "Sure! $30 (thats what they sell for on ebay.)"
He tells me no problem, he will paypal me when he gets the card.
So, I am supposed to send him a redemption card and wait to see if he paypals me the money?
Now granted, he has a 71 positive trader rating on this other site while I am relatively new to the site (I've been a member for over a year), but I also have 961 transactions on ebay with a 100% positive rating.
Am I wrong here for expecting him to send the money first?
I have no problem sending cards out for trade, but to me this is different.
I am interested in your thoughts.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
It's a redemption. Have him pay via a gift and then email him the redemption code. No shipping or fees. Win win for everyone.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Great Dealz Rob said:
It's a redemption. Have him pay via a gift and then email him the redemption code. No shipping or fees. Win win for everyone.

Tried that, he wants the card and not just the redemption code, which should have been a red flag from the beginning.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I would not say that is a red flag. Some people like to also have the redemption card. I have sold redemptions on EBAY in which the buyer requested I email him the code and als send him out the redemption card. I found it strange but was happy to do it

goldenegg1 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

Tried that, he wants the card and not just the redemption code, which should have been a red flag from the beginning.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
I would not say that is a red flag. Some people like to also have the redemption card. I have sold redemptions on EBAY in which the buyer requested I email him the code and als send him out the redemption card. I found it strange but was happy to do it

goldenegg1 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

I understand that completely, I would be more than happy to do that, just pay me first.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I agree 100%. I would not do the deal until I had the mnoey in hand. As i stated the buyer is protected by paypal as long as he does not send it as a gift.

goldenegg1 said:
Huffamaniac said:

goldenegg1 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:

I understand that completely, I would be more than happy to do that, just pay me first.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
No $, no card. No matter how trustworthy someone appears, sometimes people go bad. Plus, if he bought it on ebay, he’d have to pay first.

BTW, if he sends payment as a “gift,” he is NOT protected by paypal…just a heads up for people who are doing that.

lkk116

Aug 7, 2008
yeah anytime i buy something in life... i have to pay first then i get to keep the item

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
I'm guessing you have the MSF rule applied on you?

Therefore, you have to send first..

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I would offer to send the card after money is received since that's general selling policy.

Generally it wouldn't be a "flag" but possibly just a wrong expectation by the potential buyer.

In no case would I send the card first unless I:

- was on some kind of restriction and was forced to
- I knew and trusted the member very much.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
This is geting good guys!

Here is his response when I asked him how to cancel the trade:

I am not taking the time to figure out how to cancel the trade. Go ahead.You posted it you can figure it out. I would suggest not trying to sell on here anymore. You are trying to circumvent the system. I waited the required amount of times to ship first. And I expect that from someone else. It really doesnt matter if I initiated the deal. The site rules are in place for a reason.

And he has spoken to a mod and the trade is now in dispute instead of being cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
goldenegg1 said:

I am not taking the time to figure out how to cancel the trade. Go ahead.You posted it you can figure it out. I would suggest not trying to sell on here anymore. You are trying to circumvent the system. I waited the required amount of times to ship first. And I expect that from someone else. It really doesnt matter if I initiated the deal. The site rules are in place for a reason.

And he has spoken to a mod and the trade is now in dispute instead of being cancelled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha.

Sounds like he was trying to scam you.

Just dont send at all. No one is forcing you to.

Its your card, and like everyone else says, you have to pay before you get your item

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
What site is this on? Seems a little crazy. I can understand sending first rules for trades (assuming they’re low end- I’m not sending a $500 card first LOL), but for sales? Seems kind of wonky. Then again, I don’t trade/sell much outside of ebay. Despite the fees/other issues w/ebay, it’s far easier than dealing w/the wonkety wonk that can/often happens w/trades. hope it works out for you

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
goldenegg1 said:

A sale is when a customer gives $ and then gets a product.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I'm guessing you have the MSF rule applied on you?

Therefore, you have to send first..

I do have that until you have 20 trades, but you can bring your feedback over from other sports card message boards sites, but not ebay.
To me that makes no sense.
So basically it means, if I hop on all these different sites and make a couple trades for some $1 cards, then I don't have to send first, but everything I've done on ebay since 1996 doesn't count for anything. That's amazing!

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
rainmanesq said:
What site is this on? Seems a little crazy. I can understand sending first rules for trades (assuming they’re low end- I’m not sending a $500 card first LOL), but for sales? Seems kind of wonky. Then again, I don’t trade/sell much outside of ebay. Despite the fees/other issues w/ebay, it’s far easier than dealing w/the wonkety wonk that can/often happens w/trades. hope it works out for you

If I had to guess, I would say sports card forum. They have some rules set in place that I think are goofy, but they swear by them.

Members online

Latest posts