Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BP's 20 Biggest Stars of 2010-2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Although I can not access it online I get it on my cellphone... here are bp's 20 stars of the next decade. What you think? I like a few (#2), but surprised to see Brett Anderson but no Verlander. Ah well.

1. Hanley Ramirez
2. Justin Upton
3. Joe Mauer
4. Tim Lincecum
5. Zack Grienke
6. Evan Longoria
7. Ryan Braun
8. Stephen Strasburg
9. Felix Hernandez
10. Albert Pujols
11. Prince Fielder
12. Jon Lester
13. Jason Heyward
14. Adam Jones
15. Brett Anderson
16. Andrew McCutchen
17. Tommy Hanson
18. Rick Porcello
19. Matt Kemp
20. David Wright

If you have access, here ya go
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/ ... %3d4740601

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Just found the 'just missed section' alphabetically

Andrus, Beckham, Cabrera, Cano, Alcides Escobar, Feliz, Gallardo, Bryce Harper, Kershaw, Latos, Montero, Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Santana, Sizemore, Stanton, Tulo, Verlander, Wieters, Zimmerman

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Their focus here 'is ultimately on decade-long value to a team, along with statistical projections and scouting reports.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Jaypers said:
Pujols @ # 10. ::facepalm::
Do you think he should be higher than #10 JP?

It's assumed that he'll slow down within 5 years, so that puts him being "legendary" for half of this coming decade...therefore #10 could be dead-on.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
justwar said:
Just found the 'just missed section' alphabetically

Andrus, Beckham, Cabrera, Cano, Escobar, Feliz, Gallardo, Bryce Harper, Kershaw, Latos, Montero, Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Santana, Sizemore, Stanton, Tulo, Verlander, Wieters, Zimmerman
Latos but not CAIN or sandoval?

Lincecum best pitcher baby :)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have as much of a problem with guesstimating how prospects will do as i do with putting a pitcher in the top five that has had serious problems that prevented him from playing baseball and has basically one good season.

Look, I LOVE Greinke, and I'm happy for the success he's having, but I feel that they may have jumped the gun here. Or, to see it another way: this passed season aside, has Greinke been that much more valuable than Matt Cain?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
Pujols @ # 10. ::facepalm::

Love how Strasburg is higher...

I realize he may only play at this level for 5, 6 more years at the max, but he's still going to be one of the biggest stars of the decade, no doubt.

I'd put Waino at 35ish. He is already 28. But he can easily have 7, 8 more great years.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I too think that BA underrates the "old" guys and overvalues the young guys. Take a player like Heyward. He might be a top prospect, but even if he does not wind up a bust and does develop into a star, there will likely be a development that takes a good 4-5 years before he hits his prime. Even if his 2015-2020 is his prime, there's no reason to assume that his prime will be better than players who are already established like Miguel Cabrera, and Cabrera could easily have 7-8 great years ahead and odds are even if he has 2-3 years on the decline, they won't be worse than the 2-3 few years it will take Heyward to really adapt to the Majors.

I'd take Sizemore over a number of players on that list, Verlander too. Possibly Reyes, Teixiera, Adrian Gonzalez, Crawford, Sabathia, McCann over a few of them.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Topnotchsy said:
I'd take Sizemore over a number of players on that list, Verlander too. Possibly Reyes, Teixiera, Adrian Gonzalez, Crawford, Sabathia, McCann over a few of them.

Alex Rodriguez is going to have more than a few good years in him also.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Topnotchsy said:

Alex Rodriguez is going to have more than a few good years in him also.
His last couple of years have me wondering how much longer he'll hold up but I did consider mentioning him. He could easily put up 5 or more huge years, and then even in his decline will likely be better than some of the names listed.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
This is actually a Baseball Prospectus (Kevin Goldstein) article posted on ESPN through their shared content arrangement.

I'm pretty ticked off about the comment on Pujols's ranking:
"Even conservatively, Pujols is going to be pushing 3,500 hits and 700 home runs in 10 years. He shows no signs of slowing down, and by the middle of the decade, we should get some indication of whether his listed age is as accurate as he maintains it is."

We're now 9 years into Albert's career. Aren't we pasted even questioning his age? This comment really sounds like a backhanded slap to me.

For all interested, here's the list of guys who just missed:
Pedro Alvarez, Pirates; Elvis Andrus, Rangers; Gordon Beckham, White Sox; Miguel Cabrera, Tigers; Robinson Cano, Yankees; Alcides Escobar, Brewes; Neftali Feliz, Rangers; Yovani Gallardo, Brewers; Bryce Harper, College of Southern Nevada; Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers; Mat Latos, Padres; Jesus Montero, Yankees; David Price, Rays; Anthony Ranaudo, Louisiana State; Carlos Santana, Indians; Grady Sizemore, Indians; Mike Stanton, Marlins; Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies; Justin Verlander, Tigers; Matt Wieters, Orioles; Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
hive17 said:
I don't have as much of a problem with guesstimating how prospects will do as i do with putting a pitcher in the top five that has had serious problems that prevented him from playing baseball and has basically one good season.

Look, I LOVE Greinke, and I'm happy for the success he's having, but I feel that they may have jumped the gun here. Or, to see it another way: this passed season aside, has Greinke been that much more valuable than Matt Cain?
Thank you, I cannot believe matt cain didn't make the just missed list either...

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I'm also baffled at how Miguel Cabrera isn't in the top 5, let alone the top 20.

Guy is 26 years old and has hit at least 26 homers with 100+ RBI in each of his first six full Major League seasons (and 30+ homers in five of the six seasons).

That alone is unbelievable, but then how about we throw in a .311 career batting average?

Cabrera is well on his way to having one of the finest careers in the history of baseball.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
I'm also baffled at how Miguel Cabrera isn't in the top 5, let alone the top 20.

Guy is 26 years old and has hit at least 26 homers with 100+ RBI in each of his first six full Major League seasons (and 30+ homers in five of the six seasons).

That alone is unbelievable, but then how about we throw in a .311 career batting average?

Cabrera is well on his way to having one of the finest careers in the history of baseball.

Dead on the money. He will be recognized when he goes to a bigger market team also, which I think is in his future.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

Ah yes Miguel.

Miguel and MccCann not on the top 20 surprises me.

Latos, Montero, Price, Ranaudo(?) and Mike Stanton just missing confuses the hell out of me when you leave off guys like Cain, Either, Prince etc.

Members online

Latest posts