Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian Gonzalez to the Red Sox?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Per Jorge Arangure's Twitter (http://twitter.com/jorgearangure/status/6736480095) :

Source close to A Gonzalez believes he'll be traded to Red Sox within next 10 days.Does this mean deal will happen?No.But momentum is there
My personal belief- He moves by New Years, or he won't be moved until July 2010. I think the first domino to fall needs to be the completion of the Lowell deal.

In Cameron's press conference today, he was asked where he would play, and his response was, in short, it's up to Theo. I think more and more that Ellsbury could be included in a deal, and I've become more enamored to that thought process. .336 and .355 for an OBP the last two years. Boras as an agent, and a defensive skill set that is based on range, and not arm strength. If Ellsbury was included, and Gonzalez returned in a trade, whether or not you like him or hate him, JD Drew, would be a great fit for the leadoff spot, with the Red Sox philosophies. Gonzalez coming in a trade would make me personally OK with an outfield of Cameron, Drew, Hermida/FA (Nady/Ankiel).

As for what it would take...

1 or 2 of:
Clay Buchholz (not with Kelly, and likely not with Ellsbury)
Jacoby Ellsbury (likely not packaged with Buchholz)
Casey Kelly (not with Buchholz)
Ryan Westmoreland (Only, likely untouchable in this deal)
Daniel Bard (not with Kelly)

3-4 of:
Bowden
Kalish, Reddick, or Lin
Max Ramirez (assuming the deal with Tex is finalized)
Anderson, Rizzo, or Bates

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Lars Anderson would likely be included, even though he had a rough 2009.

So if Gonzalez is traded...do the fans revolt? Gonzalez is a local kid from Chulajuana with serious history with the Mexican population with his father.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
My guess

Clay/Ellsbury
Bowden
M. Ramirez
Kalish/Reddick
Bates

Really hoping Bowden doesn't go but certainly would be ok if it landed the sox Adrian

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
It's hot stove season, so I really don't chalk it up to much, but the buzz is obviously there, and as with PAST deals, I truthfully think if it's talked about, it doesn't happen. (ARod, Teixeira, Santana, etc.). The deals that didn't have any real media buzz prior to them happening are the ones that have happened (Lackey, Beckett trade).

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Lars Anderson would likely be included

Even with Kyle Blanks, I agree. Hoyer was still high on Lars in a presser in Octobe, saying something to the effect of playing ahead of his age in competition, and brought up the rough spots that others (Bard, Hanley, etc.) have gone through in a season in the minors.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
baseballguy350 said:
It's hot stove season, so I really don't chalk it up to much, but the buzz is obviously there, and as with PAST deals, I truthfully think if it's talked about, it doesn't happen. (ARod, Teixeira, Santana, etc.). The deals that didn't have any real media buzz prior to them happening are the ones that have happened (Lackey, Beckett trade).

Yeah, but this is Adrian Gonzalez. Not really a name player like the guys you mentioned. Doesn't he even want out of San Diego because of something family related? Some kind of threats or something? I think he gets moved.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Thankfully I have a huge stash of his RC stuff.

His stuff is ridiculously undervalued. BDP Autos for $60? He has put up the second best road OPS numbers the past three years to one, and only one... Pujols. I use road OPS, as that is seemingly the least influenced by ballpark factors.

Whether its this year, or 2 years down the road... Gonzalez gets out of SD, and his prices boom.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
mredsox89 said:
My guess

Clay/Ellsbury
Bowden
M. Ramirez
Kalish/Reddick
Bates

Really hoping Bowden doesn't go but certainly would be ok if it landed the sox Adrian

Padres should snap that deal up fast!

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I would love to see this deal.
San Diego loves Gonzalez but they are starting to get sick of the losing. Trading Gonzalez is a way to change things. San Diego needs players that are MLB ready and that the fans can see on the opening day roster. Clay and Ellsbury fit that bill, but I'm sure one other player would be included. It will not be Casy Kelly as he is untouchable. I don't think that it'll be a top tier prospect, like Bowden but a decent one.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
rebelpawn said:
San Diego loves Gonzalez but they are starting to get sick of the losing. Trading Gonzalez is a way to change things. San Diego needs players that are MLB ready and that the fans can see on the opening day roster. Clay and Ellsbury fit that bill, but I'm sure one other player would be included. It will not be Casy Kelly as he is untouchable. I don't think that it'll be a top tier prospect, like Bowden but a decent one.

If we were starting with a Clay + Ellsbury deal, I think you add Ramirez, and one other from anywhere in the organization, not named Westmoreland, Bard, or Kelly.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
The deal that makes the most sense to me is:

Buchholz, Kalish, Max Ramirez, Pimentel, Lowrie, Bowden

Lets face it..The Padres are a terrible franchise with holes at almost every position outside of 1B (Blanks) and 3B (Headley) after Gonzalez and Kouz are traded. I think the Pads are better served getting 1 great and 4-5 "good" prospects that can contribute at the MLB level rather than 2 "great" prospects. There is absolute no chance that the Padres contend within 3 years no matter what. Why not replenish the farm with players that might help competing in the future rather than 2 players who will be arby eligible in the next 2 years and will be too expensive to maintain after that?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm fairly certain that either Kelly or Westmoreland being in the package will be a prerequisite to getting Gonzo.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
baseballguy350 said:
rebelpawn said:

If we were starting with a Clay + Ellsbury deal, I think you add Ramirez, and one other from anywhere in the organization, not named Westmoreland, Bard, or Kelly.

Perhaps,I think you're definitely in the ballpark. But I don't think that Ramirez is really high on SD's list. If a trade for Gonzalez goes down, they'll just move Blanks to first. Ramirez really isn't a great catcher, more of a first base type. Living in San Diego it'll be cool to see Clay and Ellsbury on a regular basis.

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
My guess is he doesn't go anywhere until the sox gives up Kelly, buchholz, ellsbury an a couple other players. Padres have to be overwhelmed to trade Adrian.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Seiya said:
My guess is he doesn't go anywhere until the sox gives up Kelly, buchholz, ellsbury an a couple other players. Padres have to be overwhelmed to trade Adrian.

:lol:

He may not eventually get traded, but if he does, the return will absolutely not look like that.

Members online

Latest posts