Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which positional player fell the hardest in 2009

Which positional player fell the hardest in 2009

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
David Ortiz had a TERRIBLE April and May.

That being said, his numbers from June through the end of the season were typical David Ortiz. In 104 games, he had 27 HRs and 81 RBIs, along with 22 doubles. He slugged .548 with an OPS of .904.

Projecting those numbers over an entire season gives you 43 HRs and 127 RBIs.

I find it hard for anyone to say he fell the hardest. He may have fallen hard, but he got right back up and performed at a very high level.

David

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Griffey. He never got it going at all. The rest on the lits had moments last year.

Papi was a run producer the last 3 months of the season

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
Chipper Jones struggled, I hope it was a fluke and not a sign that he is beginning to decline.

08: .364/.470/.574. Lead the league in AVG and OBP

09: .264/.388/.430

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I personally went with Soriano and Ordonez. Soriano looks like his career is pretty much done and Ordonez had one of the worst seasons I have ever seen by a guy that is pretty darn good.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I'm not sure many people think the turnaround you describe was indeed 'natural' if you will.

leatherman said:

That being said, his numbers from June through the end of the season were typical David Ortiz. In 104 games, he had 27 HRs and 81 RBIs, along with 22 doubles. He slugged .548 with an OPS of .904.

I find it hard for anyone to say he fell the hardest. He may have fallen hard, but he got right back up and performed at a very high level.

David

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
leatherman said:

David

Original question:
Which positional player "fell" the hardest in 2009 using a combination of:
1. value to his team: He absolutely murdered the sox this year. He had a stretch where he was good, but still ended the season with poor numbers for a middle of the order guy.
2. statistics: Clearly a drop off from previous seasons
3. injuries: He did manage to stay fairly healthy
4. off-the-field issues: Steroid allegations

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
uniquebaseballcards said:
I'm not sure many people think the turnaround you describe was indeed 'natural' if you will.

leatherman said:

David

I apologize if you're making a joke, but I highly doubt someone who was accused of taking steroids in the middle of the season would then start taking those steroids again right after the allegations.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Unfortunately people would naturally think he did juice up in the middle of the season in this day and age, and its hard to blame anyone for thinking that way whether he did so or not - the numbers he posted speak for themselves.

Sometimes people's perceptions fall, and I think that's what happened here.

I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to bust on the guy, it just is what it is.

Tomlinson21RB said:
uniquebaseballcards said:

leatherman said:

David

I apologize if you're making a joke, but I highly doubt someone who was accused of taking steroids in the middle of the season would then start taking those steroids again right after the allegations.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Why is Griffey on the list. He didn't fall anymore last year. He's been on a steep decline for the past few years and is pretty much terrible now.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
andyduke86 said:
Why is Griffey on the list. He didn't fall anymore last year. He's been on a steep decline for the past few years and is pretty much terrible now.

The question was who fell the hardest in 2009. If you don't think he did, don't vote for him.

Members online

Latest posts