Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Shows?

How often do you go to card shows in your area a month?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassprokvd

May 10, 2009
TITLETOWN, Wisconsin
I was just wondering how many people still use shows as a form of getting your cards?
I would, but all my shows suck are where I am. Always the same people, with the same stuff, selling it for almost 1.5 to 2x ebay prices. I get the whole idea of supporting your local shows but im not just going to throw my money away.
I remember back in the 1990s, before the internet took off, shows were the only way to get your cards, and the shows seemed alot bigger (In Wisconsin 20 tables tops now)and better back then too.
I was just curious what everyone elses opionon was about shows in your area.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I put 4, but that may be alittle high.

I try to go to one every weekend (typically 3 per month).

I love card shows and they are definitely my preferred method of getting cards.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
I love going to shows too, but unfortunately, as you said, most of the stuff is recycled from show-to-show. That and I have to drive a minimum of an hour to go to any of them, so I just put 1 show per month.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There hasn't been a card show in Austin for 6 months, I think, and for a year before that. The show this year was a pitiful affair with I think 3-4 dealers, one of which was selling 8x10s and helmets and whatnot, no cards I could see. I couldn't see that much because the promoter was insisted I pay $2 to get in, which would have represented probably 1 cent per second I would have spent inside.

The large semi-annual show in San Antonio seems to have finally withered and died. I think the only show in Texas worth going to might be the one in the spring in Arlington or the Tristar in Houston, but I dunno. They're 3 hours away and could be skeletons of their prior selves.

I love card shows, and not being able to go to a decent one even once in a while is something I miss.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
Haven't been to a card show since we moved from Tucson is Apr 08. The shows weren't that great either, but you could find a deal every once in a while. I believe the closest shows are in Omaha, which is 90 miles away, and the shows there aren't that great either (I used to do them when I lived there).

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
I went to my 1st show in 1981, My father was a dealer.. So my avg was 4-7 a month till about 1993.. Started to drive and would attend 10 a month, But being close to AC made it that high.. Catering to high rollers, They would have plenty of New York sports team legend shows.. My 1st auto's were the 500 hr club National, bday gift from my parents.. Ted Williams was my 1st in person auto.. Now shows around her suck, Like a few have said, Same dealers with the same crap at high prices.. I did shows for about 4 years but quit.. New promoter killed dealer turn out, He sells wax and drove all the guys away.. So now its 1 show a month if that..

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
paintingtheblack said:
Being in Canada, they're pretty scarce. I go to about 1 or maybe 2 a year.

Where in Canada are you? Out in Western Canada (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) we have quite a few card shows still. Each one of these big cities has 2 or 3 "big" shows a year and then every month each city has a monthly show as well.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Maybe 1 time every 2 months, sometimes every month.... it honestly depends on what other bills that I have.

Didn't go for December but will probably be back in January at my usual place (Gibraltar Trade Center - Mt Clemens, Michigan.)

Shep :ugeek:

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
I guess being up here in MA I am a little spoiled. We have a few pretty good weekly shows, a great monthly show and a big show twice a year. I also travel down to CT and RI once in a while for the big shows there. I usually make it to about 3 shows per month, but depending upon the schedules, that can bump up to 6 some months.

paintingtheblack

Feb 11, 2009
G $MONEY$ said:
paintingtheblack said:

Where in Canada are you? Out in Western Canada (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) we have quite a few card shows still. Each one of these big cities has 2 or 3 "big" shows a year and then every month each city has a monthly show as well.

Ontario. I'm sure there may be more, but the big ones happen twice a year at the International Trade Centre in Toronto.

BrewerSuperCollector

Aug 10, 2008
I go to one once a month. Its been around since 1975. One of the 3 founding guys of the show had just passed away this past month. There is also an auction where people can bring things in to auction off. The cut from the auction is 80/20 I believe. All of the proceeds from the show and auction is donated to charity. Every once in a while, especially in earliers years where players were more approachable there were autograph guests.

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I've been to a few since getting back into the hobby a few years ago but they were all pretty much garbage except Twinsfest. They have like 10-20 tables at most and most of it is Minnesota stuff and low end stuff. And all the stuff is over priced by a decent amount. It seems a lot of people that set up at shows like to use Beckett pricing or like 1.5-2x Beckett pricing to price their cards.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
paintingtheblack said:
G $MONEY$ said:
paintingtheblack said:

Ontario. I'm sure there may be more, but the big ones happen twice a year at the International Trade Centre in Toronto.

Holy crap.

I just realized that I met you in North Toronto to give you cash-money for those Sniders.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
paintingtheblack said:
G $MONEY$ said:
paintingtheblack said:

Ian,

how many tables? Have you ever think about making the hour and 20 minute drive to the Mt.Clemens one?

Shep :ugeek:

Members online

Latest posts