Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees After Starting Pitcher...Trade? Who?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Any ideas who?

Yankees After Starting Pitcher
By Howard Megdal [December 21, 2009 at 9:11pm CST]
9:11pm: Now Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News tweets that the Yankees are "close to a deal for a starting pitcher, says a source. Still working on who, but I'm told it's not a salary dump deal".

8:55pm: Now Ken Davidoff of Newsday tweets "Hear that #Yankees have "two or three" serious trade talks for starting pitcher - A. Harang isn't one of them." FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal adds via Twitter "Source: Yankees in "active negotiations" for a starting pitcher. Not Harang. Trying to find out who."

8:07pm: Could this be related to what David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution wrote in the comments section of his blog earlier this evening?

"Got a call from a NY writer today wanting to know if I’d heard anything heating up between Yankees and Braves…. Apparently Yankees have hinted at doing “something big” soon. Don’t know if that means pitching".

Hard to imagine the Yankees will go another round with Javier Vazquez, but could this mean Derek Lowe? Like Harang, the Yankees could be among the few teams able to take on Lowe's three-year, $45MM deal.

7:49pm: ESPN.com's Buster Olney tweets the following: "Yankees working very hard tonight on deal for starting pitcher. Remember that they came close to deal for Aaron Harang in summer".

If Harang is indeed the target, the Yankees could be one of the few teams that could afford him. Harang is due $12.5MM in 2010, with a $12.75MM team option for 2011 (and more likely, a $2MM buyout).

Harang pitched to a 4.21 ERA in 162 1/3 innings with Cincinnati in 2009, though his peripherals- 142 strikeouts, 43 walks- were strong.

With Andy Pettitte, C.C. Sabathia and A.J. Burnett all under contract for 2010- acquiring Harang would likely spell the end of either Philip Hughes or Joba Chamberlain in the 2010 rotation plans.

josh3302

Oct 28, 2008
Brandon Morrow :lol:

Makes sense to bring in another non-proven starter/better reliever to join Joba and Hughes ::facepalm::

As a Rays fan though I'm not complaining

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Trading for Harang instead of rolling with Hughes or Joba would be terrible. Everyone knows the Yankees can't have enough over paid veterans on the downside of their career though. Derek Lowe would fit right in too, but I have no idea why they would want to trade for him, he is terrible and would get absolutely lit up in the AL East.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
josh3302 said:
mudflap02 said:
Carlos Zambrano is the player in question.
That would likely mean Joba or Hughes would be involved. The Cubs also wanted Melky.

Good. I hope for our sakes we get rid of Joba, Hughes, and Melky. Although Melky was clutch there for a couple of games, I've never really liked him much.

Ant

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
josh3302 said:
Brandon Morrow :lol:

Makes sense to bring in another non-proven starter/better reliever to join Joba and Hughes ::facepalm::

As a Rays fan though I'm not complaining

Don't toy with me man. My collection would skyrocket in value. LOL

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
I heard the Cubs want to much for Zambrano. Yankees must be desperate, because I heard the name Bonderman come up?!?! He makes around 12 mil this season, and has been banged up. I am sure the Tigers would give him away for a bag of balls if the Yanks really want him.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
They were talking about that all afternoon on ESPN radio here in Chicago.
They really never said where the rumor came from, and Zambrano has a no-trade clause, and they said his agent had not been approached about it. I guess the talk radio guys here though thought that where there's smoke there's fire.

So according to ESPN radio Chicago - the rumored deal was for Melky Cabrera and Brent Gardner......though the Chicago guys admitted if they did trade Z they hoped they'd get more, and if it was those two then hopefully a prospect or two was included too.

MAC16

Jul 29, 2009
i think its D-Lowe.. the braves are in desperate search for a big bat and nady has said he really wants to play for atlanta so i believe if its to the braves those 2 will be involved.. either that or the braves will get joba, montero and, cano :lol: one can only hope.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
rymflaherty said:
They were talking about that all afternoon on ESPN radio here in Chicago.
They really never said where the rumor came from, and Zambrano has a no-trade clause, and they said his agent had not been approached about it. I guess the talk radio guys here though thought that where there's smoke there's fire.

So according to ESPN radio Chicago - the rumored deal was for Melky Cabrera and Brent Gardner......though the Chicago guys admitted if they did trade Z they hoped they'd get more, and if it was those two then hopefully a prospect or two was included too.

I'd make that deal in a second.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
MAC16 said:
i think its D-Lowe.. the braves are in desperate search for a big bat and nady has said he really wants to play for atlanta so i believe if its to the braves those 2 will be involved.. either that or the braves will get joba, montero and, cano :lol: one can only hope.

Nady is a FA

Members online

Latest posts