Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

At the end of the 2010 season...

Who will be considered the best player in baseball following the 2010 season?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Why is this even a question? Seriously. Must be a Mauer fan trying to convince himself and others that Mauer is even close to Pujols. Don't get me wrong, Mauer is a good player, solid contact hitter. Great contact hitter. But Pujols is by far the BEST hitter in the game. And I'm not even a fan of Pujols, but facts are facts.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
mauer is a great player but its really not even close..pujols is just as a completely different level

and if pujols were to get hurt i would probably take hanley or braun as the best after next year...hell that AROD guy may just have a 50 60 hr year next year.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
KOBEARODLT said:
mauer is a great player but its really not even close..pujols is just as a completely different level

and if pujols were to get hurt i would probably take hanley or braun as the best after next year...hell that AROD guy may just have a 50 60 hr year next year.

I agree. Mauer isn't even in the top 5.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
NYCrulesU said:
Why is this even a question? Seriously. Must be a Mauer fan trying to convince himself and others that Mauer is even close to Pujols. Don't get me wrong, Mauer is a good player, solid contact hitter. Great contact hitter. But Pujols is by far the BEST hitter in the game. And I'm not even a fan of Pujols, but facts are facts.

Not a Mauer fan. I just really believe he is on his way to becoming the best player in baseball. I voted for Pujols, because I don't think Mauer is there yet, but I do think someday he will be.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

Not a Mauer fan. I just really believe he is on his way to becoming the best player in baseball. I voted for Pujols, because I don't think Mauer is there yet, but I do think someday he will be.

Not as long as there are guys named Arod,Pujols, Hanley, Reyes, Wright, Sizemore, Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera, Chase, Hamilton, Howard and Crawford in the the game. And the list could have went on. Mauers is one of the top catchers. He's great for fantasy league, but nowhere near the best player in baseball. Not even close.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
NYCrulesU said:
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

Not as long as there are guys named Arod,Pujols, Hanley, Reyes, Wright, Sizemore, Teixeira, Miguel Cabrera, Chase, Hamilton, Howard and Crawford in the the game. And the list could have went on. Mauers is one of the top catchers. He's great for fantasy league, but nowhere near the best player in baseball. Not even close.

I think he's already a better player than a number of the guys you posted.

Reyes, Hamilton? Really?

I'm a huge Rays fan, but I'd take Mauer over Crawford in a second. Even if he wasn't a catcher, his bat is so much better.

I would also take Mauer over Howard, Wright and Sizemore. It's not all about home runs.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

Reyes, Hamilton? Really?

I'm a huge Rays fan, but I'd take Mauer over Crawford in a second. Even if he wasn't a catcher, his bat is so much better.

I would also take Mauer over Howard, Wright and Sizemore. It's not all about home runs.

You're right, it's not all about hr's. Luckily Wright provides avg, hr's (most years), runs, rbi's and SB. As does Crawford. Howard (again, not a fan) is a HUGE run producer. Sizemore, Wright and Crawford = 5 tool players. You don't follow a lot of baseball do you? ::facepalm::

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
NYCrulesU said:
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

Reyes, Hamilton? Really?

You're right, it's not all about hr's. Luckily Wright provides avg, hr's (most years), runs, rbi's and SB. As does Crawford. Howard (again, not a fan) is a HUGE run producer. Sizemore, Wright and Crawford = 5 tool players. You don't follow a lot of baseball do you? ::facepalm::

Lol... Crawford is not a 5-tool player. I love him, he is one of my favorite players. Not a 5-tool player though. He is also very impatient that the plate.

Wright also has had the luxury of a better lineup most of his career. See what he did this year when losing some of his protection?

Mauer lost Morneau, but that didn't slow him down.

Sizemore has been overhyped his whole career, and his numbers have been regressing each season it seems.

Mauer is a better hitter than Howard, he just doesn't hit 50 homers a year.

Mauer's power is starting to come around anyway, he is just entering his prime and is finally healthy.

You have to take defense into account also.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
I wouldn't say that Mauer is underrated, but he certainly isn't even close to being the best player in baseball :lol: That's being overrated if I ever heard it. As I said already he's a great hitter, for average. Past that I think his game is too one dimensional.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
NYCrulesU said:
I wouldn't say that Mauer is underrated, but he certainly isn't even close to being the best player in baseball :lol: That's being overrated if I ever heard it. As I said already he's a great hitter, for average. Past that I think his game is too one dimensional.

Lol! He does more than just hit for average. He is finally entering his prime. He his 28 homers and 30 doubles in 2009, while missing the first few weeks of the season. He led the AL in SLG. He had 96 RBI in a less than impressive lineup.

You say Howard is better, but he is more one-dimensional than Mauer is.

Plus he is already a 3-time batting champ, and is way above average defensively.

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
I'll rejoin this discussion later, heading out to visit my dad at work.

Like I said, I agree that right now Pujols is the best player in the game, I just think that Mauer is quickly closing the gap.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
NYCrulesU said:
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

i dont think he is top 5 either but he is DEFINATELY better than some of the guys you listed including reyes,wright,sizemore,teixera,hamilton, crawford and chase

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
cowboysrule48 said:
NYCrulesU said:

Lol! He does more than just hit for average. He is finally entering his prime. He his 28 homers and 30 doubles in 2009, while missing the first few weeks of the season. He led the AL in SLG. He had 96 RBI in a less than impressive lineup.

You say Howard is better, but he is more one-dimensional than Mauer is.

Plus he is already a 3-time batting champ, and is way above average defensively.

There is nothing that can be said in response to this. I honestly do not understand how Mauer cannot be considered a top 5 player in baseball. By any statistical analysis, he is the 2nd best player in baseball at worst. I am not a Pujols fan, but I acknowledge his ability. I think Mauer overtakes Pujols within the next 2 years as the best player in baseball.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Frankly, I do not think anyone can dethrone Pujols with just one year of play at this point, no matter who it is.

EDIT:

After rethinking this, if Arod could put together a .370 +/- avg, 50+ HR, 140+ rbi, and gg defence, an argument could be made.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Mauer is a terrific ballplayer, but he's no Pujols. I don't see Albert getting dethroned (by anyone) for a while. As for Mauer, I'm interested to see if his offensive numbers are affected this upcoming season by playing all of his games on grass (instead of half of them on turf).

Members online

Latest posts