Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How bout some love for the base set in 09 bcdp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
The Market for the non autographs in 09 Bowman Draft | Freedom Card Board.com

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/?p=96

With all the talk about the market on the autographs in 09 draft, I figured an article based on the chrome rookies is due. Yes, I know it’s early and we haven’t seen lots of the parallels on the secondary market yet, there is enough data to see who the head of the class is. I also recognize that the base set checklist is weak when compared with other years, but even in a weak checklist there are standouts. With Tyler Matzek and Zack Wheeler heading up the autograph checklist, lets look at the base set and see who the worth while pickups are.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Good read... What scares me is the tendency for the big name guys to get second year chrome autos. Seems to me that the "best" base card investments are some of the sleepers who blow up late, unless you are lucky enough to have a guy (i.e. Hanson) who makes his debut before his autograph is released.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Another thing to keep in mind as to why prices are all over is the players/relatives that are buying up the cards. I sold stuff to around 6 or 7 people that were related to the player and they generally overpay by alot for an early card. Just a thought.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
I just made a sale-trade for the Superfractor of my '09 dreams (Check sig..) and so, there goes Matzek and Wheeler for the next few weeks. That being said, I'm going for the base-set parallels - Great read, but none of my men are in the conversation. Not that they should be; don't see anything too special with them.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Good read.

Cant be any worse than 2008 BDP Base Set. I dont know if anything can.
i bought 3 blasters of it last year and upon opening them, was so board,
that i passed on any others that i saw. (that says a LOT for those that
know me! lol)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
The guys in this year's set are just so volatile to track. I have seen prices so up and down its just uncanny. Most of the time you can tell who is gonna be "THE GUY" to get but this year,not so much. I know that its early but I'm still baffled. I have heard names of Decker, Bushue, Davidson, Nick, and a few others but I have no clue how to go about pricing the stuff I've got.
All in all, I think I had a pretty good run with the boxes I opened.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
blanning71 said:
The guys in this year's set are just so volatile to track. I have seen prices so up and down its just uncanny. Most of the time you can tell who is gonna be "THE GUY" to get but this year,not so much. I know that its early but I'm still baffled. I have heard names of Decker, Bushue, Davidson, Nick, and a few others but I have no clue how to go about pricing the stuff I've got.
All in all, I think I had a pretty good run with the boxes I opened.

You know what else it is? Just about anyone with online access now considers themselves a "prospector"
and they want to play the game.

ElwayHOf2004

Apr 4, 2009
Not sure I'd agree that there are better base prospects in this one than Dee Gordon, Christian Friedrich, Spruill, and Odorizzi but we'll know more in 6-8 months on that. The main issue in 08 as I see it was that you'd get "Futures Game Boxes" where you'd get few if any first year chromes. The FG boxes would be ok if you have a guy like Ryan Howard or even Montero if there was no auto. This year actually would have been a great FG set just because we should have had Pedro Alvarez, oh well

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been hesitant of stashing a lot of non-chrome autos. It seems that if the player does well, then he'll have a Chrome auto the year (or bowman set) after.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
trademhigh said:
Maybe it's just me, but lately I've been hesitant of stashing a lot of non-chrome autos. It seems that if the player does well, then he'll have a Chrome auto the year (or bowman set) after.

I agree with this statement
About 4-6 years ago I would buy 10,25, 50 card lots from BCA Jim, jcmint, Mr Mem and be pumped that there was a chance that my chrome non auto prospects would hold good value.
Over the past couple of years I've noticied that the hobby just cares about the auto and the low #ed parallels

I guess that's why I don't give much thought to those that argue that 09BDP blows due to poor base checklist

The "hot" base card will just have an auto the following year and that base card will be forgotten

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
You can add a sale of Matthew Davidson gold ref for $50 dlvd. Off ebay deal on here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts