Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

~~~Good Sunday Morning Thread~~~

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Morning guys. I sat down and ate some Pop Tarts and then off to the local card show! After I get back, I head straight into work....Hope your days all turn out sweet! :cool:

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
morning guys.

working today until 4 and then 5 days off :D

the Pens play the Maple Leafs tonight. strange to have a Sunday night game but I am glad I will get to watch it because I am going through hockey withdrawal.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Afternoon guys.

Cleaning is out of the way, cookies have been made (thank to the wife) and I have delved more into the book I got.

I am getting to a poitn in the book where Bill talks about breaking the HOF down into a Pyramid of sorts, assigning certain players to certain levels. Once finished with that part, I have thought about making a serious run at a blog that would break the ENTIRE baseball HOF into different levels.

Should keep me mighty occupied next year in Afghanistan.

How's everyone doing?

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
George_Calfas said:
Sucks to hear about Sunday work.

Dave, how would you rate the hockey season thus far?

George I am surprised the Pens have such a great record and are in first place because they have had a ton of injuries in the first half (everyone is healthy now). also I am surprised by the poor play so far by the Red Wings, Hurricanes and Flyers. Detroit is in 3rd place but only 4 games over .500 and have really struggled especially the goaltenders. the Hurricanes have only won 9 games this season after playing in the Conference Finals last season versus the Pens and the Flyers are in last place after making the playoffs last season as well. they even fired their coach and nothing changed.

I am really looking forward to the Olympics in February. it will be awesome to see Malkin and Ovechkin play together against Crosby and Fleury. this may be the last time the NHL allows it's players to participate in the Olympics so this may be our only chance to see all these great players play in Olympics.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Dave, I will never understand why Hockey teams choose to fired Head Coaches so early in the Season, ie Barry Melrose last year. Seems to be counter-productive for a year long plan.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
George_Calfas said:
AK, you are writing a book?

No sir...at least not yet.

I am reading a HUGE book (700 pages) on the NBA.

"The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy" by Bill Simmons.

I would love to write a book just like it, just on the MLB. The section of the book I have been MOST looking forward to is where I have just reached in the book, the basic reworking of the NBA Hall of Fame and breaking it down into different levels of a Pyramid. It's a lot easier with the NBA, because it's Hall of Fame is about 90% based on stats, which dictates how great a player truly is. Unlike, oh, I don't know, popularity with the fans/press, ability to hold a press conference or how they are as a person outside of the sport (unlike the baseball HOF voting, which takes into account ALL of that, plus stats and more).

I plan on locating and purchasing as many books about the history of the game, individual players, seasons, stats, etc. for the MLB, plus buying as much video I can of the MLB and going from there. And since I will have a solid 12-13 months in Afghanistan with a ton of open time (when you are not at "work", you know there is a lot of free time) it will give me something to keep my mind clear and keep me focused.

Plus, I really and truly love the game of baseball and the history of the game has always intrigued me.

I would like to start it off as a blog, but could possibly see eventually turning it into a book. I love to write, had a pretty natural touch in high school and college when it came to English and writing classes and would love to write a book or ninety-five in my lifetime.

Sorry, long read ;)

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Good morning gentlemen. Just got home and cracked a beer, it's what's for breakfast. 3 ft snow drifts outside, mass quantities of toys all over the house, I'm up for a few hours of sleep then out to play in the snow w/ the boys.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
Good Morning Everybody!

In case you did not see them last night, here are the cards that I have been talking about!

1938-1939 Cincinatti Reds Team Issue W571

Firstbatchfrints0001.jpg

back0001.jpg

front30001.jpg

backgroup20001.jpg

frintgroup30001.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38/dadebruhl/back30001.jpg

Now just need to get values for them before I Sell them. Ordreed the SCD catalog of cards last night!

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Anthony K. said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1necyd6p]AK, you are writing a book?

No sir...at least not yet.

I am reading a HUGE book (700 pages) on the NBA.

"The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy" by Bill Simmons.

I would love to write a book just like it, just on the MLB. The section of the book I have been MOST looking forward to is where I have just reached in the book, the basic reworking of the NBA Hall of Fame and breaking it down into different levels of a Pyramid. It's a lot easier with the NBA, because it's Hall of Fame is about 90% based on stats, which dictates how great a player truly is. Unlike, oh, I don't know, popularity with the fans/press, ability to hold a press conference or how they are as a person outside of the sport (unlike the baseball HOF voting, which takes into account ALL of that, plus stats and more).

I plan on locating and purchasing as many books about the history of the game, individual players, seasons, stats, etc. for the MLB, plus buying as much video I can of the MLB and going from there. And since I will have a solid 12-13 months in Afghanistan with a ton of open time (when you are not at "work", you know there is a lot of free time) it will give me something to keep my mind clear and keep me focused.

Plus, I really and truly love the game of baseball and the history of the game has always intrigued me.

I would like to start it off as a blog, but could possibly see eventually turning it into a book. I love to write, had a pretty natural touch in high school and college when it came to English and writing classes and would love to write a book or ninety-five in my lifetime.

Sorry, long read ;)[/quote:1necyd6p]

This is a MUST watch, [ebay:1necyd6p]170424491679[/ebay:1necyd6p]

Justin, GM!

D, Nice scans....PSA is calling ;)

Latest posts