Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is my life over, or is it just beginning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I turned the big four-oh today.......Not sure if I am supposed to "get busy living, or get busy dying". (to quote Shawshank Redemption) :lol:

My parents live 2 hours away, so imagine my surprise when my mom pops into my classroom this morning with a bouquet of balloons, a huge cake, and three jugs of juice! Dang near made me cry in front of my high school behavior disorder students. The kids were great and we had a little quasi-birthday party on the spot.

Nothing special, I just wanted to share my day. :)

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
It takes a real man to express his true feelings but it takes an even bigger man to cry about those feelings over juice, cake, and baloons! Happy Birthday and keep on trucking! You have a lot to look forward too! AARP should be calling soon.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
it was more that my mom made a special trip, two hours from home, to surprise me in my classroom. LOL

But the cake WAS good enough to make me a little sappy. :lol:

blanning71 said:
It takes a real man to express his true feelings but it takes an even bigger man to cry about those feelings over juice, cake, and baloons! Happy Birthday and keep on trucking! You have a lot to look forward too! AARP should be calling soon.

G

Hell know man the big 40 is the new twenties my friend.
Life is just getting started. And awe your mom shows up with Balloons and a cake Kudos to mom. :D :D

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
thanks guys. i am not one of those who feel depressed with turning "old". hell, i'm 40 and still collect ballcards for crying out loud! LOL

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Happy 40th! I'll be there in two years... not sure how to feel about it. You're only as young as you feel, I guess. Have a great day!

G

rob167 said:
thanks guys. i am not one of those who feel depressed with turning "old". hell, i'm 40 and still collect ballcards for crying out loud! LOL
I'm 45 and still collect baseball cards as well, I also cry sometimes as well.
Almost every time I open a Upper Deck Product. :lol: :shock:

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO
I hope it's not downhill. I turned 45 this year and had major neck surgery. I feel better than I have in 20 years. I just need to remember not to try the things I did in my 20's. Of course if I didn't do those things I did I would never needed the surgery.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Happy Birthday, Rob. I will hit the big 4-0 in May as well. Very cool of your mom to do that for you. We will consider ourselves lucky if we can do the same for our kids when they turn 40.

MTBright

Aug 7, 2008
Hey happy birthday, You are 3 years ahead of me. So what do you teach? I cant imagine what my students would say if my mom walked in? but then again I am dealing with 8th graders. :)

Its just starting man enjoy the experience.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
i fake my way through teaching earth science, biology, a career transition class, and health for high school behavior disorder students. most of the time my job is pretty nice, but man, the bad days are worse than horrible. LOL

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Rob, you're 40?!?!?!?!

I wouldn't have ever thunk it!

Happy birthday man and I will see you Sunday (if you are at Urbandale) and will have a BDay gift for ya.

MTBright

Aug 7, 2008
rob167 said:
i fake my way through teaching earth science, biology, a career transition class, and health for high school behavior disorder students. most of the time my job is pretty nice, but man, the bad days are worse than horrible. LOL

Well special ed is hard. I teach history and finishing my masters in special Ed. SE can burn you out, I have seen many people just get eaten up by it. alot of it is not even the kids but the amount of paper work and extra work sp. ed. teachers get thrust upon them. I wish you the best and can tell you I have had those bad days too.

Members online