Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ever win a card without wanting to?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darkman

Aug 7, 2008
Have you guys ever ran across a card that was down to the last few minutes or so and you are so sure its a deal that you put a bid in only to wish you would be outbid at the very end? It happened to me for the first time earlier... I was thinking of someone else when i bid on it.. atleast its my first red refractor :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Yes this happened to me a few times years and years ago. Its strange because i would cautiously bid with 5 minutes left, knowing there was a good chance i would be outbid but would be happy if i won it at that price. Well nobody else ended up bidding and all the sudden i didnt want it anymore.

Things are much cooler when everybody else wants them too. :D

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Yea, a few times, where I threw in 'joke bids' and ended up winning. Granted 99% are basically steals, I still regret putting the bid in.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Fandruw25 said:
Yea, a few times, where I threw in 'joke bids' and ended up winning. Granted 99% are basically steals, I still regret putting the bid in.
I do the same and end up winning stuff like this.

N43HowardFront.jpg

darkman

Aug 7, 2008
I feel like i would have rather bought a season of Paranormal State to watch with my wife... ::facepalm::

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Every now and again I end up spending a little more than I hoped it would go for but I never bid more than I am willing to pay so it works out.But sometimes when I am willing to pay a high amount...I still get dismayed that there is someone out there as nuts as I am.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
darkman said:
I feel like i would have rather bought a season of Paranormal State to watch with my wife... ::facepalm::

Come now lad...you can't be serious!

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I've put in aggressive bids on a PC card that I want and then checked a sellers other auctions for anything I might want if I win the other card. A couple times I'll lose the card I want and win the card that I only wanted because I was combining shipping.

darkman

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
I've put in aggressive bids on a PC card that I want and then checked a sellers other auctions for anything I might want if I win the other card. A couple times I'll lose the card I want and win the card that I only wanted because I was combining shipping.

That sucks.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Yeah but on the other end the seller is often bummed out as well.

Ever had your "steal" get lost in the mail (or never get sent at all), and the seller "graciously" offers a refund?

But that only happens on the bargains you really wanted! ;)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
About 10 years ago, I was managing an event company in Iowa and the owner requested that I stick around after closing to make sure he won a specific auction. He was willing to drop $475 for this specific item and it ended up closing for $58. We split the difference and I made an extra couple hundred for three hours of work.

So basically...I won something I didn't think I would win.

Stretching the concept but, still true.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
I used to "compete" against a guy on eBay for Vizquel cards, and he once sent me a note to see if I'd consider selling anything. I said no, then he offed an insane amount for a few (like $100 for just a few $10 cards) and I again said no. He replied by email that he was therefore going to bid up everything I bid on just so I had to pay more. I couldn't believe what a massive a-hole this guy must be, so I replied simply "game on" and we fought back and forth for over a year. That's how I discovered sniping so after that it didn't affect me much. However he would always bid in predictable increments so I continued incrementally bidding on everything he bid on (that I already owned) and maxed out his bids. He'd pay $5 for newly released base cards, $10 + shipping for common jersey cards, $20 for cards /25, etc. He eventually disappeared and I even saw some of the cards he won show back up on eBay. I'm not an ultra competitive guy, but that really burnt me up. I absolutely guarantee I directly cost him hundreds and hundreds of dollars needlessly.

Oh, to the OP question, a couple times I did win a card through those shenanigans but I didn't really care. Karma's a b!tch and he deserved it.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
VizquelCollector said:
I used to "compete" against a guy on eBay for Vizquel cards, and he once sent me a note to see if I'd consider selling anything. I said no, then he offed an insane amount for a few (like $100 for just a few $10 cards) and I again said no. He replied by email that he was therefore going to bid up everything I bid on just so I had to pay more. I couldn't believe what a massive a-hole this guy must be, so I replied simply "game on" and we fought back and forth for over a year. That's how I discovered sniping so after that it didn't affect me much. However he would always bid in predictable increments so I continued incrementally bidding on everything he bid on (that I already owned) and maxed out his bids. He'd pay $5 for newly released base cards, $10 + shipping for common jersey cards, $20 for cards /25, etc. He eventually disappeared and I even saw some of the cards he won show back up on eBay. I'm not an ultra competitive guy, but that really burnt me up. I absolutely guarantee I directly cost him hundreds and hundreds of dollars needlessly.

Oh, to the OP question, a couple times I did win a card through those shenanigans but I didn't really care. Karma's a b!tch and he deserved it.

great story and even greater sig. jesus nice patches

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
It was late the other night ago when I spotted this card. I threw a small bid down counting on getting sniped and losing at the last moment. Woke up the next day and saw I won.
Griffy

And no I did not make a mistake in the link title, that is the way he spelled it.

zookerman182

Aug 17, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Rickzcards said:
It was late the other night ago when I spotted this card. I threw a small bid down counting on getting sniped and losing at the last moment. Woke up the next day and saw I won.
Griffy

And no I did not make a mistake in the link title, that is the way he spelled it.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah dude... way to often ::facepalm::

On the bright side, there are alot of steals which equals flipping for good profit

:D

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
VizquelCollector said:

Wait. He's a butt hole for doing it but it's okay that you then turned around and did it to him?

Howzat work?

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
When I really had no collection focus, yes, I used to do it all the time. I'd bid on random stuff.

Then you have that dreaded feeling of you just locked up some money for no reason at all. So, whenever I got it in, I'd try my absolute best to just flip it. No matter if I got all my money back or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts