Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Experience With Razor Before and After - By Jaypers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
It's a good read, fairly well written...

However, I just can not get past the tone as if it's just one long worded advert wrapped in a fanboy story.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
...After all, if even one of these exclusives makes it big in the Majors within the next couple of years, where else are you going to find his cards?...

Once those players make the bigs, they'll get licensed cards. That's where.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
carlitoson said:
...After all, if even one of these exclusives makes it big in the Majors within the next couple of years, where else are you going to find his cards?...

Once those players make the bigs, they'll get licensed cards. That's where.

Where are you going to find the cards right when he makes the bigs? Bowman Chrome is not etopps and can not make the card instantly.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
Where are you going to find the cards right when he makes the bigs? Bowman Chrome is not etopps and can not make the card instantly.

As a collector (not a prospector), I don't care if the player has cards right when he gets called up. I'm not trying to capitalize on that moment in a monetary way.

The fact is, he'll get licensed cards once that happens. There are quite a few players who make their MLB debuts each season who don't have any cards to that point.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
carlitoson said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

As a collector (not a prospector), I don't care if the player has cards right when he gets called up. I'm not trying to capitalize on that moment in a monetary way.

The fact is, he'll get licensed cards once that happens. There are quite a few players who make their MLB debuts each season who don't have any cards to that point.

I guess if you were the only person who buys cards on the planet, that would matter... but you're not, and there most likely will be many others who will clamor for these exclusives.

Edit - It gets a little annoying when people that don't have any interest in prospect cards use their opinion to give a negative outlook on prospect cards. You are obviously allowed to think/say whatever you want, but why waste your time if you have no interest in the cards in the first place.

Warren of Oz

Aug 23, 2008
I think this whole razor/donruss exclusive thing may actually lead to some hot players actually having their licensed rookie cards come out the same season that they are really rookies in the big leagues. That would be great in my book.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
carlitoson said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

And if everyone thought like that then Clay Buchholz rookie cards wouldn't have been selling for ridiculous amounts after his no hitter, or Jay Bruce wouldn't have been selling as high when he got called up. If people were patient and waited then it is correct to say that it doesn't matter if the player has cards right when they get called up. But when prospect x gets called up and hits a home run, fans of that team say "i want his autograph/rookie card" and get on ebay. When all they can find is razor, they will still buy it.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Based on what I read it seems like Topps didn't listen to JP and his checklist suggestions and BG did

About 12-15 guys selling very well and/or above average on eBay. 85-88 are selling for half the price of a pack

If JP had significant influence (or even somewhat) on whomever BG chose, then I hope JP picked some heavy sleepers that are dirt cheap (and turn out to be success stories) because I got a vast majority of guys who would sell for less than a Whopper Value Meal.

Biggest miss by Razor = Odorizzi. He will be in Letterman

I just have this vibe (and that's all itis -- a vibe) that at some point in time exclusive contracts going to be sold to other companies and autos being sold and what have you and it will be a big turn off. I am not sure why that would bother me.

As I stated in a thread last week, it is nice that BG listens but I hope he doesn't base too many decisions by talking to a handful of people on a message board

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
...Edit - It gets a little annoying when people that don't have any interest in prospect cards use their opinion to give a negative outlook on prospect cards. You are obviously allowed to think/say whatever you want, but why waste your time if you have no interest in the cards in the first place.

You're typing like you know me (you don't). To say I have no interest in prospect cards is wrong. The OP stated "Comments appreciated", not "Pro-Razor comments appreciated". If reading an opinion that differs from yours gets you a little irritated, then I apologize for stating my opinion. I'll leave it at that.

There's no doubt that money can be made by selling these cards down the road. For me personally, I'd rather have cards that are MLB/MLBPA licensed. I'm having a hard time differentiating Razor from Tristar, Just, etc. To each his/her own though...I wish the best of luck to Razor and to those buying their cards.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:
...Edit - It gets a little annoying when people that don't have any interest in prospect cards use their opinion to give a negative outlook on prospect cards. You are obviously allowed to think/say whatever you want, but why waste your time if you have no interest in the cards in the first place.

You're typing like you know me (you don't). To say I have no interest in prospect cards is wrong. The OP stated "Comments appreciated", not "Pro-Razor comments appreciated". If reading an opinion that differs from yours gets you a little irritated, then I apologize for stating my opinion. I'll leave it at that.

There's no doubt that money can be made by selling these cards down the road. For me personally, I'd rather have cards that are MLB/MLBPA licensed. I'm having a hard time differentiating Razor from Tristar, Just, etc. To each his/her own though...I wish the best of luck to Razor and to those buying their cards.

You said you are a collector, "not a prospector". So I assume, then, that you in fact ARE a prospector??? I never said I know you either, but when you type something in a thread, it is there for all to see... and I did see it, it says you're not a prospector. I guess you are now...

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:

You said you are a collector, "not a prospector". So I assume, then, that you in fact ARE a prospector??? I never said I know you either, but when you type something in a thread, it is there for all to see... and I did see it, it says you're not a prospector. I guess you are now...

My understanding of the term means to buy cards in the hope of flipping them for a profit at some point. Right? If that's the correct meaning of the term "prospector", then you're wrong again. I'm not a prospector. I do sell cards that I pull and don't want, but for the most part the cards that I buy are in my PC.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
kentuckyderby said:
I just have this vibe (and that's all itis -- a vibe) that at some point in time exclusive contracts going to be sold to other companies and autos being sold and what have you and it will be a big turn off. I am not sure why that would bother me.

I asked him this exact question on Beefycheddar's live interview & he responded by saying there is no way he'll do this with the current player's he has as exclusive's (however, everyone knows that $$ talks & if enough of it were offerred then who knows?). However, if this did occur he would basically be squatting over everyone whom purchased this product & taking a shat on them (it would be a huge let down & he would definitely lose supporter's & customer's; although if he were exitting the card producing market due to low profits or whatever reason, why would he care if he laid a steamy one on his buyer's(?) as it really would be all about recouping his initial investment & leaving with the most "chips" at the end of the night)! If this were to happen, you can bet that every exclusive he sold would see a Tri-Star/Just Minor's type plummet in value (since I've bought into many low-priced single's, I'm hoping that he doesn't like eating foods that are high in fiber :lol: )...
By the way, I've been completely "shocked" at the complete turn around of your outlook on the whole "Razorbacking"! :shock: You have done a complete 180 (bad bust or what?)...

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
kentuckyderby said:

I asked him this exact question on Beefycheddar's live interview & he responded by saying there is no way he'll do this with the current player's he has as exclusive's (however, everyone knows that $$ talks & if enough of it were offerred then who knows?). However, if this did occur he would basically be squatting over everyone whom purchased this product & taking a shat on them (it would be a huge let down & he would definitely lose supporter's & customer's; although if he were exitting the card producing market due to low profits or whatever reason, why would he care if he laid a steamy one on his buyer's(?) as it really would be all about recouping his initial investment & leaving with the most "chips" at the end of the night)! If this were to happen, you can bet that every exclusive he sold would see a Tri-Star/Just Minor's type plummet in value (since I've bought into many low-priced single's, I'm hoping that he doesn't like eating foods that are high in fiber :lol: )...
By the way, I've been completely "shocked" at the complete turn around of your outlook on the whole "Razorbacking"! :shock: You have done a complete 180 (bad bust or what?)...

I wanted to give that interview a chance to just be a live website thing, but I think I will edit it now and post it online tonight or tomorrow.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:

My understanding of the term means to buy cards in the hope of flipping them for a profit at some point. Right? If that's the correct meaning of the term "prospector", then you're wrong again. I'm not a prospector. I do sell cards that I pull and don't want, but for the most part the cards that I buy are in my PC.

Prospect cards are prospect cards, regardless of intent... Razor prospect cards are just as much prospect cards as Bowman Chromes. I was only trying to understand why you don't think anyone else will want the Razor cards of players when there are no other options. That's how this whole thing started... I said what do you care if you're not a prospector, and you said you are a collector, not a prospector. I say, if you buy cards of players not yet in the Majors, you are a prospector no matter your intent...

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:

Prospect cards are prospect cards, regardless of intent... Razor prospect cards are just as much prospect cards as Bowman Chromes. I was only trying to understand why you don't think anyone else will want the Razor cards of players when there are no other options. That's how this whole thing started... I said what do you care if you're not a prospector, and you said you are a collector, not a prospector. I say, if you buy cards of players not yet in the Majors, you are a prospector no matter your intent...

What if you collect cards of a certain Major league teams first cards, a college team's players, or in my case Cape Cod League Alumni? I don't buy a lot to prospect, I buy because I collect a certain type of card that prospectors also collect.

I honestly hate that people just say cards aren't anything but prospecting when some people do just collect them.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
HoustonTeams4Me said:
kentuckyderby said:

Still a backer. Just not as big of a fan. Not going to get into it. Just saw a handful of things happen / read a handful of things that left bad tatse in mouth.
Still want Razor to succeed so that the hobby gets the best out of each company

Wes

OG
Administrator
carlitoson said:
sportscardtheory said:

Isn't it more like EEE than Tristar?

Members online

Latest posts