Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

US Olympic roster announcement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
Forwards

David Backes
Dustin Brown
Ryan Callahan
Chris Drury
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kessler
Phil Kessel
Jamie Lagenbrunner
Ryan Malone :D :D :D
Zach Parise
Joe Pavelski
Bobby Ryan
Paul Statsny

Defense

Erik Johnson
Jack Johnson
Mike Komaserick
Paul Martin
Brooks Orpik :D :D :D
Brian Rafalski
Ryan Sutter

Goalies

Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick
Tim Thomas

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
I am shocked that Modano wasn't selected. he is USA hockey.

I guess Drury and Malone will have to step up and provide the leadership for the forwards and Orpik and Brian Rafalski for the defense.

Hwilensky

Feb 6, 2009
jarcar said:
I think going young is very smart, they will be an exciting team to watch. I'm glad Kessler made the team.

I agree. I love the idea of going young. I think that the team will finish with a medal. We have a group of competitive young players, who will represent our country for years to come. The only concerning area is defense, but I think we have a group of very good forwards and great goaltending that can definatley lead us to a medal.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
bungle77 said:
Well, no medal, but they'll be competitive.

I've been waiting to respond to this comment because I think predicting the USA's finish is impossible.

When you have quite possibly the best goaltender on the planet, you've got a shot to win gold. Would anyone be surprised if Miller stood on his head for the final 2 or 3 games, because that's really all he needs to do.

The USA could have China's roster with Miller back there and have a shot at Bronze on the small ice.

If I were a USA fan, i'd be very, very hopeful.

If i bought hockey cards, I'd be buying a lot of Ryan Millers :)

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
pigskincardboard said:
The USA could have China's roster with Miller back there and have a shot at Bronze on the small ice.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but let's not get carried away.

Miller is having a very good season, no doubt. He's clearly the #1 on this team. And you're right, it's very difficult to predict, but on the whole, I don't think the US has enough to support anything short of a stand-on-his-head effort, and you simply can't predict a goalie will be that hot 6 weeks from now. I foresee a lot of mistakes being made, that Miller simply won't be able to cover for ALL of them. They'll make him look worse than he is.

You could make the argument that Bryzgalov is the best goalie in the league right now. You could make the argument that Rask is currently the hottest (and Finland didn't even take him). You still have the legend that is Brodeur playing in front of his home crowd.

I echo the comments about the team being young, and I think it's a good thing. I think this is an experience-builder for 2016, and whatever they do in a medal round would just be a bonus. I think that's a smart direction to go.

Members online

Latest posts