Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Quest for an Authentic 1909-11 T206 #499 Honus Wagner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
(1/1/10) It's about that time. I'm going to start the quest to take a $50 or less purchase and flip it all the way to the most coveted trading card ever produced... any condition and back will do. It is going to be a long and arduous journey that will most assuredly take years, but it's all in good fun, and we have all the time in the world. First off, NOTHING will be set in stone. I can not give myself limitations. I need it to be an open ended project so as to keep it as simple and easy as possible for myself. I will start all the flips on eBay so the project can be tracked by any and all interested parties. I will also do my best to keep everything on eBay throughout the entire process, but it IS eBay and problems can certainly arise when dealing with them. I will most likely start off with BIN/Best Offers too, I just seem to do well with them. Clearly in the future, I will most likely be doing auctions as well, if only to keep the project rolling along steadily. Any and all help, advice and/or constructive criticism will be MUCH appreciated and I will do my best to keep things moving along at a pace worth keeping up with. I have not purchased my initial investment yet, but I will be scouring eBay for a deal starting now. Please remember that this is not a sprint, but a marathon... it WILL take time in-between buys/sells and I will not be posting progress until all purchased items are IN HAND and ready to be sold. And just so you all know, I will not be wasting my time with naysayers and/or negative Nancys, so please, don't even bother. This is ONLY for fun and profit and there is absolutely NO reason for arguments or negativity. For the record, this is not for charity, although if anything leads to a situation where that becomes a possibility, I will CERTAINLY consider it. This is for my own personal gain and for any future children I may have. I also know that this will not be easy (nearly impossible) and I will not hesitate to ask for help with the decision making... I'm no genius. : ) With all that said, let the fun begin.

Here is photobucket to help follow along.

Item #1 - Paid $2.74

Item #1 - SOLD - $13.05 Net

Item #2 - Paid $10.99

Item #2a - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2b - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2c - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #2d - SOLD - $7.89 Net (2a/2b/2c/2d)

Item #3 - Paid $9.08 for 2

Item #3a - SOLD - $?

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke
well have fun. i have been thinking about tying something like this but with trading ( i know unoriginal) for a johnson t206

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
I think if it was possible to have $50 into $100,000 in the baseball card world more people would be in business.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Best of luck with this. I see people posting that they are trying to do this once in awhile and wonder how many actually are able to pull it off.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
17ROCKIES12 said:
I think if it was possible to have $50 into $100,000 in the baseball card world more people would be in business.

I will not be limiting myself to only trading cards, but it will be my main focus since it's what I know best.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

I will not be limiting myself to only trading cards, but it will be my main focus since it's what I know best.
Will your buy-in only be baseball cards? Are you going to work for some of the money?

If someone could turn $50 into $100,000 then it would also be possible to turn $500 into a million. It just wishful thinking to me.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
17ROCKIES12 said:
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

Will your buy-in only be baseball cards? Are you going to work for some of the money?

If someone could turn $50 into $100,000 then it would also be possible to turn $500 into a million. It just wishful thinking to me.

It's the attempt I'm going to have fun with. I don't care about all that other stuff. Now to find my initial investment.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

It's the attempt I'm going to have fun with. I don't care about all that other stuff. Now to find my initial investment.

Good luck with it, I just don't see it working. You're going to have to take in as much (or more) than a shop owner makes in a few years.

I've seen it work with smaller things, but not something huge like this.

I can relate though. Right now I'm saving up for something that costs 15 times as much as any baseball related thing I've ever purchased. You have to get creative to progress.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
Good luck in your quest. If I remember correctly, there was a story about a guy who started with a paper clip and traded his way to a house.

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
17ROCKIES12 said:
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

keep playing lotto you will get there in no time ;)

to the OP good luck i think it will be interesting to see as to how far you get

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
colts1888 said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
sportscardtheory said:
17ROCKIES12 said:

keep playing lotto you will get there in no time ;)

to the OP good luck i think it will be interesting to see as to how far you get

That really is the point, just to see how far I can get. I hope I can do it. I still haven't found the first card, but I'm on eBay as I'm typing this looking for deal number one.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Personally, I think this will be a lot of fun to watch. Will you get there someday? It'll be very hard, buy you already know that. It'll take a long time, but you know that, too. The potential reward at the end of the quest is huge, and the steps getting there (or as far as you end up getting) should be a heckuva lot of fun.