Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does Edgar Martinez Belong In The Hall Of Fame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
the guy writing the story is obviously biased to Seattle, my answer is no. To see if I was crazy I typed in google his name and Seattle and the answer was clear.

Taken from another of his stories:

"The first sports poster I bought was of Dennis Johnson, the day after Seattle won the NBA championship in 1979."

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Hmmmm tough call, I didn't get to watch him very much.... but his numbers speak for themselves.

I would not argue either way..... but if I had a vote I would say yes.

Shep :ugeek:

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
shephech said:
Hmmmm tough call, I didn't get to watch him very much.... but his numbers speak for themselves.

What numbers? A .312 lifetime avg? That's the only one I find decent.

In 18 years he only managed 309 hr's (112th all time) , 2247 hits (154th all time) and 1261 rbi (not even in the top 100 all time). Combine that with him being a DH, no true position. The HOF won't come knocking anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy. But I put him in the "Mattingly Group", well liked but just doesn't have he numbers.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I know milestones are not everything, but for a DH to make it, they are EVERYTHING. He gets 3,000 hits, he's in. 500 HRs with over 1,500 RBIs, he's in. He was an amazing hitter, but the lack of milestones keeps him out. He should have been able to reach hitting milestones without having to play the field, and he didn't.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
NYCrulesU said:
shephech said:

What numbers? A .312 lifetime avg? That's the only one I find decent.

In 18 years he only managed 309 hr's (112th all time) , 2247 hits (154th all time) and 1261 rbi (not even in the top 100 all time). Combine that with him being a DH, no true position. The HOF won't come knocking anytime soon. Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy. But I put him in the "Mattingly Group", well liked but just doesn't have he numbers.

Like I said people will argue.... and you make some great points.... points that even make me now lean towards No.

Everyone is titled to there own opinion, but I didn't see him play much and you seem to have good knowledge on him.... so let's go with your opinion :D.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
For those that say a DH should not be in the hall, then relievers shouldn't be in the hall..

They only pitched a couple of innings a game and that was just to tidy things up..

So for those that think Edgar Martinez shouldn't get in.. I don't think Marino Rivera should get in..

He didn't play the whole game..

By the way..

Edgar Martínez, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Manny Ramirez, and Todd Helton are the only players in history with 300 home runs, 500 doubles, a career batting average higher than .300, a career on-base percentage higher than .400 and a career slugging percentage higher than .500.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Yes, career .312//418/.515, same OPS+ as Alex Rodriguez. The M's didn't let him play a full season until he was 27, even though he was ready at 24, helping to explain the lack of milestones. 3000 hits? Howabout 2247 hits and 1283 BB's in 2055 games, 3530 times on base, not counting HBP. As for the DH thing, Molitor played nearly 1200 games as a DH. Edgar played almost 600 games in the field and could have kept playing the field, but being the DH was the best option for the team. If he had been in the NL and kept playing 3B and then played even an average or below 1B, nobody would be complaining, but by playing DH and actually helping his team he gets dinged. Also, hasn't it been statistically shown that hitters typically do worse as DH's?

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Pinbreaker said:
For those that say a DH should not be in the hall, then relievers shouldn't be in the hall..

They only pitched a couple of innings a game and that was just to tidy things up..

So for those that think Edgar Martinez shouldn't get in.. I don't think Marino Rivera should get in..

He didn't play the whole game..

By the way..

Edgar Martínez, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, Manny Ramirez, and Todd Helton are the only players in history with 300 home runs, 500 doubles, a career batting average higher than .300, a career on-base percentage higher than .400 and a career slugging percentage higher than .500.

And now I am leaning the other way again :lol: No but either way I think Edgar was an awesome ballplayer.

Hope he makes it for your sake ;).

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Brett Keith said:
kdailey4315 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":3lym05ep]Yes, career .312//418/.515, same OPS+ as Alex Rodriguez.

Funny how you leave off ARod's HR and RBI when comparing the two.

Why would I bring those numbers up when comparing OPS+? That's funny. :)[/quote:3lym05ep]

You're trying to say that Edgar is great by comparing his numbers to ARod when ARod is vastly superior statistically and you just happen to leave out the stats that prove that.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
kdailey4315 said:
Brett Keith said:
kdailey4315 said:
[quote="Brett Keith":1o1m2v2b]Yes, career .312//418/.515, same OPS+ as Alex Rodriguez.

Funny how you leave off ARod's HR and RBI when comparing the two.

Why would I bring those numbers up when comparing OPS+? That's funny. :)

You're trying to say that Edgar is great by comparing his numbers to ARod when ARod is vastly superior statistically and you just happen to leave out the stats that prove that.[/quote:1o1m2v2b]

He's not vastly superior to him in OPS+, thus, I said he has the same OPS+ as Alex Rodriguez. I'm not trying to compare Edgar and A-Rod to each other in HR and RBI, everybody knows A-Rod is a better power hitter than Edgar and RBI's are a terrible way to judge a player, whatever comparison you're doing.

jarcar

Aug 7, 2008
Vancouver Canada
I think sometimes we forget who does the voting and these voters often vote with their hearts. His numbers are excellent, he was well liked by his teammates, reporters, and fans. He has an MLB award named after him. I would be surprised if he does not make it into the HOF eventually.

Members online