Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autograph Baseball Question - Shellac

How would shellac-ing effect the value of your ball?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Just a question for some people on the boards here. Would you care if you were buying a "shellac'ed" baseball that was autographed (great condition) even though it was shellac'ed. For those that don't know, it was for older autos and it was a protective substance, but it did change the color of the ball to a yellowish color. The autos on the ball are still good though. Would you devalue it drastically, or not care since it is for PC?

Thanks for the opinions
Tom

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
moxacaine said:
i wouldnt want one in my PC but its all a personal preference. It also depended on who the player is and how tough his auto is.

Can I ask why you wouldn't want it on there? I am debating about buying one with this on there so would like to hear both sides.

spahnandsain

Aug 11, 2008
Conover NC
Johan Santana 57 said:
moxacaine said:
i wouldnt want one in my PC but its all a personal preference. It also depended on who the player is and how tough his auto is.

Can I ask why you wouldn't want it on there? I am debating about buying one with this on there so would like to hear both sides.

I would feel that way because of the yellowing. Nice white balls look so much better. It all depends on the ball. If it was a 1957 Milwaukee Braves team signed ball, I wouldn't care one bit.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Jastermereel said:
Shellac GREATLY affects the value of auto'd baseballs. It's like laminating a baseball card.
It's similar, but not the same.
Laminating a baseball card makes it worthless.
Shallacking a modern (1980s-current) signed ball of a living player makes it virtually worthless.
But a vintage ball's value is not nearly as adversely affected.
A shallacked Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Wagner, etc. ball is worth thousands of dollars.
But of course, a non-shallacked ball is worth considerably more.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Austin said:
Jastermereel said:
Shellac GREATLY affects the value of auto'd baseballs. It's like laminating a baseball card.
Shallacking a modern (1980s-current) signed ball of a living player makes it virtually worthless.
A shallacked Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, Wagner, etc. ball is worth thousands of dollars.

I disagree. A laminated 52 Mantle is not worthless either.

Shellacked balls of high-value players are usually worth about 1/3 of what a non-shellacked ball is worth.

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
Jastermereel said:
Austin said:
Jastermereel said:

I disagree. A laminated 52 Mantle is not worthless either.

Shellacked balls of high-value players are usually worth about 1/3 of what a non-shellacked ball is worth.

I am not sure when the ball was made, it is an Official Eastern League baseball. Not the eastern league minors Im assuming. Its an older ball, with HOF signatures of some great players on it, so it is before 1980 Im guessing.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If the shellac has keep the appearance of the autos nicer to the point it displays better when compared to a ball with no shellac from the same time period then I dont mind having it.

moxacaine said:

My feelings exactly. If it was a Babe or Christy I would consider a shellaced ball, otherwise absolutely not. Not sure? Check out the ending auctions (from major auction houses) and see the difference shellac makes...

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
moxacaine said:

My feelings exactly. If it was a Babe or Christy I would consider a shellaced ball, otherwise absolutely not. Not sure? Check out the ending auctions (from major auction houses) and see the difference shellac makes...

Would it change your mind though if it were for PC and not for resale?

Johan Santana 57 said:
[quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":3khle8mw]
moxacaine said:

Would it change your mind though if it were for PC and not for resale?[/quote:3khle8mw]

For my PC I would not want a shellacked ball. (Except if it was an extremely tough signer like Babe, Christy, etc..). I have moved balls from my PC for very minor reasons (minor tonning on the sweet spot or stray ink spot, etc..). The shellacked ball would drive me crazy especially if it was a modern player. I have seen people shellack balls signed in sharpie to keep it from bleeding, but again I only collect blue ink SS autos and would never keep a sharpie auto.
For resale (flip) I would only if it was a really old player. ;)

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR said:
[quote="Johan Santana 57":1i7lsdbm][quote="AMAZIN HOF COLLECTOR":1i7lsdbm]
moxacaine said:

Would it change your mind though if it were for PC and not for resale?[/quote:1i7lsdbm]

For my PC I would not want a shellacked ball. (Except if it was an extremely tough signer like Babe, Christy, etc..). I have moved balls from my PC for very minor reasons (minor tonning on the sweet spot or stray ink spot, etc..). The shellacked ball would drive me crazy especially if it was a modern player. I have seen people shellack balls signed in sharpie to keep it from bleeding, but again I only collect blue ink SS autos and would never keep a sharpie auto.
For resale (flip) I would only if it was a really old player. ;)[/quote:1i7lsdbm]

Yeah I see what you mean. This one isn't in the class of Babe, Christy, Gehrig, but does have some major players on it.

What's weird is that before I knew what it actually was, I thought it looked kind of cool. Then when I found out what it was, it kind of changed my mind so I'm still up in the air.

GTJ558

Jan 26, 2009
the best of times for collecting baseballs was when the past cooperstown electees started signing at shows in the '80s and '90s especially....those should not be shellaced...guys like Duke Snider and all could be had for $25. Since that's not the case anymore, when you see a ball from the golden era, it might be hard to pass on it whether it's had the "treatment" or not. I guess I hadn't thought about it until the post. For my PC, I like the raw baseball.

DSC00040.jpg

Members online

Latest posts