Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB 2010 Hall of Fame Talk: Prediction: Nobody gets in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
Alomar is the only guy I would want to see in for sure this year. There are other "maybe's", but Alomar is a definite to me.

My bad, I need to edit. Blyleven is a definite to me as well. The man should have been inducted YEARS ago! I would be fine with Blyleven, Alomar and The Hawk.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
No way that happens, no way it should happen. There are worthy candidates, but if Alomar doesn't get elected, start over. Take away everybody's votes and set up some sort of competency exam. Granted, that should already have been done.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
Being that Harvey and Herzog are both living, I don't see as much pressure to induct another living member. I see now that the HOF has pressure to put in living members to keep it's advocacy up, which is why some believe that all of a sudden Herzog became more qualified than he did in years past, same with Harvey.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
metrotheme said:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33368-NY-Baseball-History-Examiner~y2010m1d4-Alomar-comes-up-short-in-Examinercom-Hall-of-Fame-voting

In a poll of 17 Examiner.com baseball writers, none of them were able to reach a 75% consensus to elect any of the current nominees. Alomar placed first but didn't receive the required 75%. I am curious to see if Wednesday's totals match this. To see the full results, click the link above.

Good thing none of these guys gets an actual vote.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Talley - thanked :lol:

My 1st thoughts after reading the OP.

1) What the hell is the Examiner?
2) How does asking 17 people constitute a poll?

I've lived in Chicago all my life, and have never even heard of these 2 Chicago baseball "writers".

I'll stop short of guaranteeing that Dawson & Bert get in. Dawson at minimum. He got 68% last year.

And before people start all the "Hall of pretty good" crap, Dawson is in the Top 50 or Top 100 all time in almost every offensive category,
and more often than not he is ranked higher than dozens of current HOFers.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
I have never heard of the "Examiner" so please excuse my ignorance. I honestly cannot see Dawson Going Backwards in terms of HOF percentage. I think the only real thing they got correct was that the Top 3 people they have on their ballot. Those 3 guys Will or Should get in.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
Brett Keith said:
No way that happens, no way it should happen. There are worthy candidates, but if Alomar doesn't get elected, start over. Take away everybody's votes and set up some sort of competency exam. Granted, that should already have been done.

competency in the BBWAA is an oyxmoron. Been that way for years.

metrotheme

Dec 3, 2009
Do you have some sort of angst towards those who write for Examiner.com? I'm not saying the writer are equals with the BBWAA (because they aren't), but what makes the BBWAA writers any more experts on the game than let's say SABR historians or professors that have written many scholarly works on baseball and studying the game in depth? Alot of the writers that are in the BBWAA are in there because they write well and have had longevity in the media, but does that make them experts in knowing what the players can and can't do?

As for this examiner.com poll, it is a small sample size and not all of the writers on the site voted. I wonder if they had like 100 of their writers give their votes, if they would have reached a 75% threshold on a player.

ru4scuba said:
metrotheme said:
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33368-NY-Baseball-History-Examiner~y2010m1d4-Alomar-comes-up-short-in-Examinercom-Hall-of-Fame-voting

In a poll of 17 Examiner.com baseball writers, none of them were able to reach a 75% consensus to elect any of the current nominees. Alomar placed first but didn't receive the required 75%. I am curious to see if Wednesday's totals match this. To see the full results, click the link above.

Good thing none of these guys gets an actual vote.

Members online

Latest posts