Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best pitcher nobody pays attention to...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I know everyone has their player that they think is overlooked, but I find it amazing how incredibly overlooked Chad Billingsley is.

In case people don't know the stats: 16-10 3.14 ERA 201 K's last season. GIves him a 35-19 career record, and he'll be 24 next season. Throw in the fact he plays in a big market like LA, and his Bowman Chrome Rookie Autograph is a princely....$20!?!?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
I think if you had him on your fantasy team last season, you would understand why he is not as popular as his stats would lead you to believe...
Are your referring to the walks or the lack of consistency? I know he started slow, and his BB's kept his WHIP up, but he's still really young, he doesn't give up many hits, and he K's a ton of guys.

Wes

OG
Administrator
Topnotchsy said:
I know everyone has their player that they think is overlooked, but I find it amazing how incredibly overlooked Chad Billingsley is.

In case people don't know the stats: 16-10 3.14 ERA 201 K's last season. GIves him a 35-19 career record, and he'll be 24 next season. Throw in the fact he plays in a big market like LA, and his Bowman Chrome Rookie Autograph is a princely....$20!?!?

Anyone have any thoughts?

It was higher until he got torched in the playoffs. Add to that the time of year and economy and he is not a prospect anymore.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
As far as talent goes, stats aside, I'd love to have Matt Cain on my team...I think he is awesome with run support...

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
As long as he has nothing to do with Pennsylvania he is good. The Phils have always killed him and he slipped and fell on a patch of ice in Reading, PA(Breaking his leg).

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:
I think if you had him on your fantasy team last season, you would understand why he is not as popular as his stats would lead you to believe...
Are your referring to the walks or the lack of consistency? I know he started slow, and his BB's kept his WHIP up, but he's still really young, he doesn't give up many hits, and he K's a ton of guys.

He was very inconsistent to say the least... always losing games he could win, and winning the games he probably shouldn't have. He's VERY streaky...

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
sportscardtheory said:
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:

He was very inconsistent to say the least... always losing games he could win, and winning the games he probably shouldn't have. He's VERY streaky...

I guess if you play in a head to head league I could see that being an issue, but a full year roto league means stats are stats. A 3.14 ERA and 201 K's is a welcome addition to any of my fantasy teams, especially for where you could draft him.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:

I kept an eye on him all season, and after the rough start he seemed pretty solid most of the way. 3.14 ERA is pretty solid.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:
Topnotchsy said:
sportscardtheory said:

I kept an eye on him all season, and after the rough start he seemed pretty solid most of the way. 3.14 ERA is pretty solid.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and think he will be a stud in a year or two, maybe next season. But I was in a head-to-head league and his inconsistency cost me a playoff spot... overall, he had a decent season.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Tomlinson21RB said:
sportscardtheory said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

It would be PERFECT if the X-Fractor had the Beckett slab with the sub-grades on the front!
:D Great collection... he is a stud that will only get better and better when he harnesses his potential.

Don't I know it :cry:

Thanks, I'm closing in on 60% of his cards including 1/1's and plates. Not bad for 4 months of collecting him.

You could always try to pick one up in the off-season for a lot less... then sell the other one in-season for more. :D

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
sportscardtheory said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
sportscardtheory said:
Tomlinson21RB said:

It would be PERFECT if the X-Fractor had the Beckett slab with the sub-grades on the front!
:D Great collection... he is a stud that will only get better and better when he harnesses his potential.

Don't I know it :cry:

Thanks, I'm closing in on 60% of his cards including 1/1's and plates. Not bad for 4 months of collecting him.

You could always try to pick one up in the off-season for a lot less... then sell the other one in-season for more. :D

Interesting idea. I'll have to see how slow things get on ebay for my Billingsley and Hanley collections.

Members online

Latest posts