Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Adrian headed to the Red Sox!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Adrian Beltre that is. ::facepalm::

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/b ... index.html

From twitter...
Buster_ESPN
BOS offer to Beltre is probably in the range of $10 mill. to $10.5 mill. annually, and the offer is expected to include an opt-out clause.
TBrownYahoo
Beltre has reached an agreement with Red Sox. Details to follow.
SI_JonHeyman
beltre boston deal likely for 2 years but also will include an player opt-out clause. whatever, nobody's improving like #redsox this winter
TBrownYahoo
Source: Beltre and Red Sox still working out final numbers, but framework of contract has been agreed upon.

BeltreAppeal_reduced.gif

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Re: Adrian head to the Red Sox!

Well at least we have a third baseman now with the questions over Lowell.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

Nice.

Love the title of the thread though....my heart skipped a beat :lol:

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City

Why would they want Beltre? I mean really, he's got to be the worst piece of crap at that position. Nice card Huffamaniac.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008

The facepalm is for it NOT being Gonzalez. I am in favor of this deal, but I won't even start to get into an argument. For my thoughts on what the Red Sox needed to do this offseason, you can read up on one of my previous posts, when discussing the importance of defense. I am a big subscriber to the theory that the Red Sox will have GREATLY improved last year, based on the sheer fact that the black hole that was the left side of their defense (Bay, Lowell, Lugo/Green et. al), is now tremendously better.

baseballguy350 said:
Some people blow me away with their sheer stupidity. If defense didn't matter, do you really think Adam Everett would even BE in the major leagues? Seriously. .238/.288/.325. (Edit - This is NOT directed at the member who brought up Holliday's postseason error. This is a general comment to everyone stating that defense doesn't matter. If you want to compile your team based around the "sexy factor", where big offense is all that matters, go for it! COMMON SENSE shows that a run prevented is worth the same as a run produced.

In addition, most baseball minds, that delve deep into statistical analysis provide an irrefutable case that a run prevented is worth MORE than a run produced. In Layman's terms, based on the sheer fact that a team that allows 0 runs in a game will ALWAYS win, vs. a team that scores 10 runs a game that might NOT always win, runs prevented are worth more than runs produced.

Please, someone, tell me that defense doesn't matter, because the team that you build based on offensive output only is going to fail.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008

Rickzcards said:
Why would they want Beltre? I mean really, he's got to be the worst piece of crap at that position. Nice card Huffamaniac.

It comes down to what makes more sense then Beltre, based on what is available. I'd love to have Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright, but they aren't available. I was NOT interested in Figgins, at 4 years, especially given the fact that his defense is terrible IMO.

Beltre is one of, if not the best defensive third basemen in the game, and his offense will only be helped by Fenway, and the lineup around him.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Getting out of that ballpark and playing in Fenway will really help him

zookerman182 said:
I have a funny feeling that Beltre will do very well in Boston. I think the guy is a bum but who knows.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
And if this is true, I can't see how this could be a bad deal....

Gammons: Beltre 1 yr. Deal for $9m with player option for $5m. Physical coming

Beltre CANNOT hurt his offensive value much, and he has a great chance to raise his value in an offensive park. On the Sox side, they get him at a very reasonable price, and if true, it is very easy to unload him.

Want to know what I love the MOST about this deal.... If the contract as reported by Gammons is correct, or even close to correct, I wonder how the $14mm per year for 5 years that Scott Boras wanted feels now that it may be $14 mm TOTAL.

I'm thinking:

monk-kick-balls.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008

baseballguy350 said:
Rickzcards said:

It comes down to what makes more sense then Beltre, based on what is available. I'd love to have Ryan Zimmerman or David Wright, but they aren't available. I was NOT interested in Figgins, at 4 years, especially given the fact that his defense is terrible IMO.

Beltre is one of, if not the best defensive third basemen in the game, and his offense will only be helped by Fenway, and the lineup around him.
My thoughts as well, I don't mind the signing at all....I am loving our teams defense this season!!!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
$9M for Beltre and $10M for Lowell :lol:

So does this mean they are going to trade Lowell and eat his contract?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Red Sox are probably going to have one hell of a defense next season. An OF of Cameron, Ellsbury, Drew, an infield of Beltre, Scutaro, Pedroia, Youkilis. Those pitchers are going to love it. Plus, Beltre in Fenway could be a 30 HR guy while raising his AVG some. As a Rays fan, I hate it. ;)

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City

scotty21690 said:
baseballguy350 said:
Rickzcards said:

My thoughts as well, I don't mind the signing at all....I am loving our teams defense this season!!!
I used to be a big fan of Beltre's but after he had that one monster season while with the Dodgers he has been going steadily downhill since with his worst year ever last year. He is still very good defensively but he will have Red Sox fans pulling their hair out when he becomes their inning/momentum killer. I know that there isn't much out there as far as third basemen go this year but to pay this POS that kind of money is just dumb. They should just give one of their farm club thirdbaseman a chance.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
$9M for Beltre and $10M for Lowell :lol:

So does this mean they are going to trade Lowell and eat his contract?

What is funny about that? Not sure how you can bash this deal, so you just have to add a face to the end of your comment? This deal has no real holes in it. Seriously, I don't expect you to add anything of value to any conversation, EVER, but what is there not to like about this deal?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL

baseballguy350 said:
I was NOT interested in Figgins, at 4 years, especially given the fact that his defense is terrible IMO.

His defense is terrible? He was elite last year.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008

Rickzcards said:
I used to be a big fan of Beltre's but after he had that one monster season while with the Dodgers he has been going steadily downhill since with his worst year ever last year. He is still very good defensively but he will have Red Sox fans pulling their hair out when he becomes their inning/momentum killer. I know that there isn't much out there as far as third basemen go this year but to pay this POS that kind of money is just dumb. They should just give one of their farm club thirdbaseman a chance.

I'll assume you don't know anything about the Red Sox farm system, since they don't have anyone who fits that profile.

I also assume you don't know anything about their batting order. Beltre will hit behind Ellsbury, Pedroia, Youk, VMart, Ortiz, and Drew... He is not being asked to be a big hitter. He may hit as low as 8th.

I cannot find many negatives with this deal at all.

Members online