Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rick Porcello = Fausto Carmona part 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
Both burst onto the scene with pretty excellent seasons(Carmona's 2007). Porcello faltered a bit, but it was to be expected as a 20 year old. These two pitchers have a lot of similarities. Each relies heavily on a sinker to induce high ground ball rates. They had similar strikeout rates, Porcello at 4.69/9 and Carmona at 5.73/9 in '07.

I'm not saying Porcello is doomed for a collapse. Hitters tended to lay off Carmona's sinker(walk rate jumped from 2.5/9 to 5.2/9). But there are a lot of similarities here that are hard to ignore.

How does everyone feel about Porcello's outlook for the future as we enter the new year/season?

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
This is a pretty good point, but Porcello seems more polished. I think Rick is going to have another okay year, but there is no way that he will reach 17-20 wins like Carmona did that one year.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
jbone17 said:
This is a pretty good point, but Porcello seems more polished. I think Rick is going to have another okay year, but there is no way that he will reach 17-20 wins like Carmona did that one year.

Agreed, I think Porcello will maintain better control. The data leads me to believe he'll pan out to be a solid above average pitcher, but not the star people are projecting him to be. Unless he can increase his strikeout rate(very possible with improved secondary pitches), I think I see him as a Jason Marquis/Derek Lowe type pitcher.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
natsprospects26 said:
jbone17 said:

Agreed, I think Porcello will maintain better control. The data leads me to believe he'll pan out to be a solid above average pitcher, but not the star people are projecting him to be. Unless he can increase his strikeout rate(very possible with improved secondary pitches), I think I see him as a Jason Marquis/Derek Lowe type pitcher.

Agreed as well. The kid is going to be solid, but not Pedro Martinez status.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
jbone17 said:
natsprospects26 said:
jbone17 said:

Agreed as well. The kid is going to be solid, but not Pedro Martinez status.

So in order to compare him you pick one of the best pitchers of a generation and a hall of famer?

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
[/quote]

So in order to compare him you pick one of the best pitchers of a generation and a hall of famer?[/quote]

You see Derek Lowe as a hall of famer and Marquis as one of the best pitchers of a generation?

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States

So in order to compare him you pick one of the best pitchers of a generation and a hall of famer?[/quote]

You see Derek Lowe as a hall of famer and Marquis as one of the best pitchers of a generation?[/quote]

he was talking to jbone

and referring to Pedro

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
lovethatsticky said:
If you want my opinion (which you probably don't), I think it's a pretty dumb comparison.

Why? Elaborate and let us hear why it is dumb...

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States

You see Derek Lowe as a hall of famer and Marquis as one of the best pitchers of a generation?[/quote]

Sorry, referring to jbone saying he isnt a pedro type pitcher...

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Sure, great comparison. If Porcello decides to love movement and walk twice as many batters for no damn reason we've got ourselves a winner.

Fausto blows my mind...
as does ****...

there are a few other sinkerballers that just had issues for no damn reason (weak hip muscles do to the layoff isn't a reason)

lovethatsticky

Jun 8, 2009
lordsepic said:
lovethatsticky said:
If you want my opinion (which you probably don't), I think it's a pretty dumb comparison.

Porcello has more riding on his back than Carmona, I feel. Porcello came up at a much younger age, as a greater prospect than Carmona. You can't compare them just because of the wins that they had and strike outs, I'm sure that there are a hand ful of pitchers that fall into 14 wins and that strike out ratio.
Porcello is curve, slider, change up and fastball-
while Carmona relies mostly on a sinker, like Chien-Ming **** to get his batters out.
Carmona is over half a decade older than Porcello at 26, and he was much older than Porcello when he pitched his first and second seasons.
I think Porcello is far better, and will be the Tigers #2 man next year.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
I think with the time and money invested in Porcello, the Tigers aren't about to move him to the closer role. Plus isn't Zumaya there already?

Allen

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
lovethatsticky said:
lordsepic said:
lovethatsticky said:

Porcello has more riding on his back than Carmona, I feel. Porcello came up at a much younger age, as a greater prospect than Carmona. You can't compare them just because of the wins that they had and strike outs, I'm sure that there are a hand ful of pitchers that fall into 14 wins and that strike out ratio.
while Carmona relies mostly on a sinker, like Chien-Ming **** to get his batters out.
Carmona is over half a decade older than Porcello at 26, and he was much older than Porcello when he pitched his first and second seasons.
I think Porcello is far better, and will be the Tigers #2 man next year.

Very good points. thanks for ellaborating

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
lovethatsticky said:
Porcello came up at a much younger age, as a greater prospect than Carmona.23 versus 20, Carmona came up from the Domincan though.

while Carmona relies mostly on a sinker, like Chien-Ming **** to get his batters out.Not true, Porcello relies on a sinker for almost 80% of his pitches.

Carmona is over half a decade older than Porcello at 26, and he was much older than Porcello when he pitched his first and second seasons.I'm not comparing them now, but rather a trend between two young, hard throwing sinkerballers(Carmona's is faster btw).

I think Porcello is far better, and will be the Tigers #2 man next year.Agreed, this goes without saying.

I think you are focusing more on the bad side of Carmona, which isn't really what I was getting at. I think Porcello could just as easily have a year like Carmona's 2007 in 2010.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
People in the Cleveland organization have made it no secret that Carmona is a head case. He is mentally weak and they are hoping to get his head on straight more than anything else. Don't forget, his first stint in the bigs was ugly....real ugly. It was almost like he was throwing batting practice.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
natsprospects26 said:
lovethatsticky said:
Porcello came up at a much younger age, as a greater prospect than Carmona.23 versus 20, Carmona came up from the Domincan though.

while Carmona relies mostly on a sinker, like Chien-Ming **** to get his batters out.Not true, Porcello relies on a sinker for almost 80% of his pitches.

Carmona is over half a decade older than Porcello at 26, and he was much older than Porcello when he pitched his first and second seasons.I'm not comparing them now, but rather a trend between two young, hard throwing sinkerballers(Carmona's is faster btw).

I think Porcello is far better, and will be the Tigers #2 man next year.Agreed, this goes without saying.

I think you are focusing more on the bad side of Carmona, which isn't really what I was getting at. I think Porcello could just as easily have a year like Carmona's 2007 in 2010.

I think Strasburg will never get 15 wins in a single season :eek: :eek: :eek:

But I do think Porcello will be a very solid MLB pitcher and I will bet you he gets atleast 15 wins next year, He looked so good for a 20 year old kid this year.... and I see him and Verlander being a great 1-2 punch for a long time, Sorry but that's my opinion.

Shep :ugeek:

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
natsprospects26 said:
Both burst onto the scene with pretty excellent seasons(Carmona's 2007). Porcello faltered a bit, but it was to be expected as a 20 year old. These two pitchers have a lot of similarities. Each relies heavily on a sinker to induce high ground ball rates. They had similar strikeout rates, Porcello at 4.69/9 and Carmona at 5.73/9 in '07.

I'm not saying Porcello is doomed for a collapse. Hitters tended to lay off Carmona's sinker(walk rate jumped from 2.5/9 to 5.2/9). But there are a lot of similarities here that are hard to ignore.

How does everyone feel about Porcello's outlook for the future as we enter the new year/season?

What are all of the similarities that you are talking about? That they are both right handed and throw a sinker?

There is alot more that goes into each of these guys, and I would say they have more differences than similarities.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
ballerskrip said:
What are all of the similarities that you are talking about? That they are both right handed and throw a sinker?

There is alot more that goes into each of these guys, and I would say they have more differences than similarities.

Young
Both throw a sinker about 80% of the time
Low Strikeout Rates
Low Walk %'s
High Groundball %'s
Similar build(6' 4'' 200 lbs)

What glaring differences am I missing, other than makeup(Porcello has obvious advantage)?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts