Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Without the Registry, where would PSA be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I know there are PLENTY of people out there (and on here) that have no use for graded cards, also
known as "slabs". That's fine and dandy, but this discussion is not about that.

I'd like to hear from other slab-heads. Where would PSA be if not for their registry set dominance?

of the big three, their slab itself leaves a lot to be desired. Easy breakage, easy tampering are the
two things that stand out immediately.

if you are a huge PSA'er, please speak on their defense

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I have slabs from all 3 major grading companies, and I honestly don't think I could defend PSA.

They are by far the crappiest slabs, and aren't they also by far the most expensive?

Other than the registry and PSA/DNA authenticating, I can't think of a reason to use them.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
First off SGC is by far the easiest to break open. I have done it with no more then my thumb nail
a few times. SGC and BGS probably wouldn't be half the grading company's they are witout PSA
taking the chance and opening their doors in 92. I personally prefer the PSA holder because of the flip.
SGC and BGS flips suck to say the least. SGC's looks like something I did in 1992 in my basement. BGS and the multi coloring
and it being off set makes it look like someone was drunk when they designed it.
As far as the registry goes? I will say they wouldn't have half the volume they get or have gotten over
the past 8 years but I think that has leveled out to some extent. I know when I was building my
1976 Topps set in PSA prices where insane. Probably 10x's what they get now. Same goes for Griffey cards
I remember paying 80 bucks for a PSA 9 Bowman Griffey ::facepalm:: thinking I got a steal ::facepalm::

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
Well....from a cost standpoint, PSA was much cheaper compared to BGS when they ran the $5 specials....even more so when you took into consideration there was no $2 autograph surcharge. Today, BGS specials...and BGS $5 specials are more common....that was not the case from 2004-2007.

Back in the day, PSA posted grades when your order was completed. Many times, orders under the $5 special would post in two weeks or even four weeks. BGS would never post your grades early...that has changed as well.

The big killer was the grading of hand cut cards from sheets by BGS....it is something that many people frown upon. That stigma is something that BGS will never be able to shake with the vintage crowd....I think that is why most vintage collectors don't trust BGS or BVG graded cards.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
I get things graded by PSA and BGS. Both have their own pros and cons depending the subject IMHO.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Jack Straw said:
First off SGC is by far the easiest to break open. I have done it with no more then my thumb nail
a few times. SGC and BGS probably wouldn't be half the grading company's they are witout PSA
taking the chance and opening their doors in 92. I personally prefer the PSA holder because of the flip.
SGC and BGS flips suck to say the least. SGC's looks like something I did in 1992 in my basement. BGS and the multi coloring
and it being off set makes it look like someone was drunk when they designed it.
As far as the registry goes? I will say they wouldn't have half the volume they get or have gotten over
the past 8 years but I think that has leveled out to some extent. I know when I was building my
1976 Topps set in PSA prices where insane. Probably 10x's what they get now. Same goes for Griffey cards
I remember paying 80 bucks for a PSA 9 Bowman Griffey ::facepalm:: thinking I got a steal ::facepalm::

this is the first im hearing about being able to easily crack a SGC slab.
let me ask you, was it easy to replace the card inside? Ive been shown
how easy it is to switch a card in a psa slab, if someone wanted to resell it.
it was kind of scary to see that.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I really think PSA should change their slabs. If they did that, they would be the best grading company, hands down. BGS has the best slabs, PSA has the set registry. I wish PSA and Beckett Grading Services would merge so PSA could use Beckett's slabs.

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
On some it would have been easy to switch the card without any real evidence but
maybe a frost or two. If you figure eight an SGC slab it pops right open but you wouldn't be able to
switch a card. The whole PSA/WIWAG thing would be very hard to do again.

autocut

The registry is a useful tool, but not as popular as it use to be as there are less set builders and collectors than it use to be. I pick SGC over BGS and PSA anyday. Most people's reasons for picking a grading service is either cost or flip potential, but little to no one mentioned integrity.It's sort of scary. I finally submitted to PSA/DNA because of my temp. boycott of BGS for always screwing up my orders (they are 4 for 4). I have a vintage card in the wrong sleeve allowing it to shift, I have a mislabelled card, I have a card that was clearly stated "If grade is not above 8.5, just authenticate", and 3 cards not graded because they didn't know anything about it and wanted me to submit my research findings, so they can add it to their database before grading. I prefer JSA over PSA/DNA anyday, but since JSA is with BGS, they've lost my business for a while. I will never send any cards to PSA for grading. They are the worst of the 3 IMO ("flip potential aside").

Members online

Latest posts