Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aroldis Chapman To Decide Within 3-4 Days.... FLA/TOR/LAA?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
Don't know if this is old news... have not seen it posted, but if so I am sorry.

MLBTR reports Chapman is nearing a decision, and is believed Marlins/Blue Jays & Angels are the favorites to land him.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/01/a ... -soon.html

Latest post I read is the Marlins may possibly be out and it's down to the Jays & Angels.

Should be interesting, would be nice to see one of my favorite teams (Jays) sign him.... Maybe easier for him to bring family over if he lives in Canada?

Shep :ugeek:

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Probably the Angels - after losing Chone Figgins, John Lackey and Darren Oliver, they will have the money to pay for a talent like Chapman, who may not be MLB ready at the moment, but will get to the Major Leagues soon enough.

Also, who knows how strong Chapman's connection with Kendry Morales is - that could be the difference in Chapman's decision to sign with one particular club.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I really wish the Sox or Yanks would sign him. What happened to them in these negotiations, anyway?

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Jaypers said:
I really wish the Sox or Yanks would sign him. What happened to them in these negotiations, anyway?
You money hungry jerk. ;)

Not so much value in a FL or TOR prospect eh?

Since we didn't land Holliday, I'd like to see the O's buy him. :)

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
My guess is Florida. He would fit in in the city of Miami, and Florida seems to want him. Unless the Angels' offer blows the Marlins away, I think the Marlins will get the "hometown" discount.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I think it's comical that Toronto's in the running. Hopefully, he hasn't visited in the last week because it's been absolutely frigid up here. Maybe he's heard something about Toronto's multiculturalism, but aside from Jose Calderon we don't have a spanish speaking population. Hopefully we can trick him into believing that subcontinental asians are actually latin americans, though.

If that's the case, we're mos def in the running.

With that said, I hope he doesn't go the route of Samuel Dalembet, because that worked out terribly.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I hope the Angels can lock this kid up.

Signing Chapman, along with 5 first-round picks (including supplemental) in the 2010 draft, this is the kind of re-loading that system needs.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Signing Chapman, along with 5 first-round picks (including supplemental) in the 2010 draft, this is the kind of re-loading that system needs.

Agreed 100%. The Halos have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft!

They have the cash, spend it!

skrip

braden

Aug 7, 2008
ballerskrip said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

Agreed 100%. The Halos have 9 picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft!

They have the cash, spend it!

skrip

Funny, the Jays are in almost exactly the same boat. A first rounder, two supps, 3 second rounders, and two third rounders. Eight total in the first three.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they added Chapman though I'd want to know where the money was coming from. $16MM has been floated as their draft/international budget for 2010 so if Chapman was eating a big portion of that, I'd be inclined to pass. I'd rather they draft aggressively with those early picks than take Chapman and a bunch of signability guys.

That said, I'd certainly like the looks of the next 3-5 years with the following guys on board to make a rotation:

Romero/Marcum/Cecil/Rzepczynski/Chapman/Litsch/Drabek/Morrow/Jenkins/Stewart/Ray/
Alvarez/Mills/McGowan

Seeing as the Jays have done a great job in making virtually anyone a league average starter, they could easily cobble together a top-third starting five out of that bunch.

It's funny, all three teams rumoured to be the finalists for Chapman can argue some sort of 'edge':

Angels: Morales, Moreno
Marlins: Large Cuban base, close to family
Jays: No embargo, Cuba 'friendly'.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
I also heard Paul Beeston has a great relationship with Chapman's agents..... and the Jays were given a private workout and the Angels were not....

Shep :ugeek:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
EricInCT said:
Wow, a Florida pitching prospect is like a like a prospecting graveyard :?

Dear sir:

I take serious offense to that statement.

Signed,
Andrew Miller

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I still don't think you can count out Boston and the Yankees. Boston may have spent money elsewhere but with the money coming off the books after the 2010 season, they would be able to afford him. Also, all of the Sox signings this offseason have been kept very quiet so something could be brewing. With the Yanks, they have money to spend, and a high risk, high reward guy like Chapman fits their model

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
mredsox89 said:
I still don't think you can count out Boston and the Yankees. Boston may have spent money elsewhere but with the money coming off the books after the 2010 season, they would be able to afford him. Also, all of the Sox signings this offseason have been kept very quiet so something could be brewing. With the Yanks, they have money to spend, and a high risk, high reward guy like Chapman fits their model

The Yankees have already said if they sign him that he would start in AA or possibly AAA at the highest.

I could see the Sox coming in with a huge offer ala Diasuke.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
vwnut13 said:
mredsox89 said:

The Yankees have already said if they sign him that he would start in AA or possibly AAA at the highest.

I could see the Sox coming in with a huge offer ala Diasuke.

With either the Sox or Yanks he wouldn't be starting the season on the 25 man roster, and most likely wouldn't appear in the bigs until after the allstar break unless he is completely dominant

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
J.P. (Springfield, IL)
Chapman or Matzek?

Jim Callis (2:58 PM)
Matzek. Another tough call, though.

Members online

Latest posts