Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jeff Bagwell HOF in 2011?

Bagwell HOF Next Year?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Next year will be his 1st year of eligibility.

Vote!

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I think he'll get in as he kept his slate clear of blemishes, maintained steady All-Star level production through the majority of his career (longevity is also positive on his resume), was/is a fan-favorite, & is one of Houston's ALL-TIME best player's (he was great on & off of the playing field)! :D

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I think his goatee will have to get in first, then body later.

Sadly, I think Bagwell, will be waiting for the Veteran's Committee for a real shot. I don't see him getting more than 50-60% by the writers.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
For those who don't think he'll get into the HOF, what reason do you cite for his unworthiness to be given acceptance/entrance in through baseball's pearly gates?

A.Dawson was just elected into the HOF & played from 1976-1996 (21 seasons) in a total of 2,627 games/ 9,927 at-bat's/ 1,373 Runs/ 2,774 Hits/ 503 Doubles/ 98 Triples/ 438 HR's/ 1,591 RBI's/ 314 SB's/ 589 BB's/ 1,509 K's/ .279 Avg./ .323 OBP/ .482 SLG/ .806 OPS

J.Bagwell played from 1991-2005 (15 seasons) in a total of 2,150 games/ 7,797 at-bat's/ 1,517 Runs/ 2,314 Hits/ 488 Doubles/ 32 Triples/ 449 HR's/ 1,529 RBI's/ 202 SB's/ 1,401 BB's/ 1,558 K's/ .297 Avg./ .408 OBP/ .540 SLG/ OPS .948

IMO the above is quite telling as Dawson has an additional 6 season's, 477 more game's, & 2,130 more at-bat's than Bagwell & yet Bagwell's production is still much greater! Bagwell won ROY honor's, a Gold Glove, 3 Silver Slugger's, ML Major League POY, & the 1994 NL MVP award! Also if "fame" & "fanfare" have anything to do with being inducted, as I wrote in my previous post, Bagwell is one of Houston'a all-time favorite's & one of the best player's the Astros have ever had (not to mention he is one of a dying breed that stayed loyal to a team & fan-base instead of leaving to "test the market" or for monetary reason's)!

I think with the induction of Dawson today (not that he isn't HOF worthy) & with many other player's over the past 10-15 year's, Bagwell is a shoe-in. IMO he is of a different tier than many of the recent inductee's, I would put Chipper Jones, Bagwell, Frank Thomas, & J.Thome all in this tier (plus some other's) who are basically all from the same era & are sure-fire HOF'ers! :D

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The HOF will let just about anybody in now, so of course he will.

(I think he should btw...played in the steroid era and hit almost 500 HR and almost 500 doubles, and if Im not mistaken, wasnt accused of steroid usage: might be wrong on that though)

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Seeing the HOF is primarily a place for the famous and popular players (and rightfully so as dictated in it's name), I see Bagwell as a 1'st ballot enterance. He was a very popular, well liked, and 'face of the game' type player his whole career, and it will be rewarded.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
I don't know how there are nearly double the amount of No's then Yes's.

Bagwell is in the top 40 ALL TIME in OBP, SLG and OPS. 26th all time in walks. Top 60 all time in doubles and runs scored. 34th all time in home runs. 45th most RBI's. He is also top 40 in runs created, OPS+, extra base hits, HBP, IBB and sac flies. He had 12 straight seasons of 20 or more homers, missed more than 20 games in a season only 3 times (and one of those seasons he played less than 40 games....his last season) and put up two 40/30 seasons as a FIRST BASEMAN.

The man got on base 40% of the time he came to the plate, never had any steroid accusations and he was a fan favorite.

Not to mention, he is one of only two 1B (Gehrig being the other) to hav more than 200, 300 or 400 homers and 100+ stolen bases (Bagwell is 9th on the all time SB list for 1B, but the other 8 played in the dead ball era andh ave no more than 98 homers a piece).

In my opinion, that makes a player a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I think if he has one more year of 20+ hr and 80+ rbi, he'll get in! Go Mariners! Yahooooooo!

Mariners, Jeff Bagwell Agree on $36 million, Four-Year Contract
by Associated Press on Dec 7, 2009 6:04:38 AM

SEATTLE -- Jeff Bagwell is moving to the coast in the AL West. And Seattle has a dynamic replacement for Adrian Beltre in the line-up - even before Beltre is officially gone.

The Mariners and Bagwell have reached a preliminary agreement on a $36 million, four-year contract pending a physical, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Friday night.

The contract for the former Houston Astro sparkplug includes a vesting option for 2014 that could make the deal worth $45 million over five years.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Mariners had yet to announce the deal, which was first reported to be close by Foxsports.com.

"Nothing to comment on," Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly wrote in an e-mail to the AP on Friday night.

The 38-year-old Bagwell is coming out of retirement to work on getting those stats needed to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame. "I just need a few more homers, and a few dozen more RBI and I'll be in," says the visibly stronger Bagwell. "All those guys on the FCB message board think that I can't get in...well, I'll show them!"

Bagwell won the rookie of the year in 1991, was MVP in 1994, and is a 4 time all-star and once gold glover. He is looking to add to each of those totals with the resurgient Seattle Mariners.

"Those Freedomcardboard guys really know how to spark a fire,' Bagwell goes on. "I'll show those doubters!"

Bagwell will report to Peoria in March.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
gwynn5453l4u said:
I think if he has one more year of 20+ hr and 80+ rbi, he'll get in! Go Mariners! Yahooooooo!

Mariners, Jeff Bagwell Agree on $36 million, Four-Year Contract
by Associated Press on Dec 7, 2009 6:04:38 AM

SEATTLE -- Jeff Bagwell is moving to the coast in the AL West. And Seattle has a dynamic replacement for Adrian Beltre in the line-up - even before Beltre is officially gone.

The Mariners and Bagwell have reached a preliminary agreement on a $36 million, four-year contract pending a physical, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Friday night.

The contract for the former Houston Astro sparkplug includes a vesting option for 2014 that could make the deal worth $45 million over five years.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Mariners had yet to announce the deal, which was first reported to be close by Foxsports.com.

"Nothing to comment on," Mariners spokesman Tim Hevly wrote in an e-mail to the AP on Friday night.

The 38-year-old Bagwell is coming out of retirement to work on getting those stats needed to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame. "I just need a few more homers, and a few dozen more RBI and I'll be in," says the visibly stronger Bagwell. "All those guys on the FCB message board think that I can't get in...well, I'll show them!"

Bagwell won the rookie of the year in 1991, was MVP in 1994, and is a 4 time all-star and once gold glover. He is looking to add to each of those totals with the resurgient Seattle Mariners.

"Those Freedomcardboard guys really know how to spark a fire,' Bagwell goes on. "I'll show those doubters!"

Bagwell will report to Peoria in March.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

At first you had me going just a little (but this was before I made it through the first couple of sentence's)! :lol: I knew in my mind that there was no way he was coming back, but he's one of my favorite player's so my heart was hoping & that got me doubting, just a tad, that it was a joke :oops: :lol:

That was very creative there bud- GOOD ONE!!! :lol: :D

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
To me, he should be in next year. But unfortunately, some writers deliberately withhold "first year" votes to send a message.

Maybe he'll have Larry Andersen do his introduction. Sorry Sox fans, couldn't help myself.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
I said no to the question of HOF next year as I don't think he is a first ballot HOFer. It seems to me like you can split HOFers into first ballot and all other and Bagwell fits with the all other. He'll definitely get in. Just won't be next year.

Alex

Members online

Latest posts