Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Mets are paying Bobby Bonilla until 2035...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Deferred money, I'd assume. The Cards are paying Holliday until 2029 under his new contract.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This is how I found out about it, through the Holliday article.

I didn't even realize Bonilla made that much money....$30 million...

braden said:
Deferred money, I'd assume. The Cards are paying Holliday until 2029 under his new contract.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
In reality though I'm sure someone was smart enough to put millions in an interest-accruing account and are just paying Bonilla with the interest.

At least I hope they did that.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Nothing like sitting on your ass and getting payed for the rest of your life. What a joke of a society we live in that people are rewarded to this extent for being marginally good at a game while people that have meaningful occupations make barely enough to survive.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
Nothing like sitting on your ass and getting payed for the rest of your life. What a joke of a society we live in that people are rewarded to this extent for being marginally good at a game while people that have meaningful occupations make barely enough to survive.

Why is it a joke that people are smart enough to makes this amount money, which I'm sure saved the Mets millions is payroll taxes? Why is it a joke that people are able to make as much money as possible regardless of how it is paid out.

jdbrak

Feb 16, 2009
it has to do with supply and demand - how many people were as good as he was as his job in the world vs how many people are as good as you are at your job

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Why is it a joke that people are smart enough to makes this amount money, which I'm sure saved the Mets millions is payroll taxes? Why is it a joke that people are able to make as much money as possible regardless of how it is paid out.

Bobby Bonilla is not to blame. I am not blaming him. If he was a brain surgeon that saved lives, I wouldn't care that he gets million dollar handouts every year for the rest of his life. It's the entire system that is a joke. Just because you sign a contract, doesn't mean you deserve it.

autocut

sportscardtheory said:

You support these people by being a fan of what they do.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I guess I just believe guaranteed contracts are horse sh$t. He's clearly not earning the money, so it's a freaking hand-out. It happens all the time in baseball. I would probably be ashamed to collect money for doing nothing. I can honestly say I would give a lot of it to charity... which he might do for all I know.

Vagrant

May 2, 2009
sportscardtheory said:
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:

Bobby Bonilla is not to blame. I am not blaming him. If he was a brain surgeon that saved lives, I wouldn't care that he gets million dollar handouts every year for the rest of his life. It's the entire system that is a joke. Just because you sign a contract, doesn't mean you deserve it.

And you are so disgusted by this inequality in our societal structure that you buy little pictures of them with their signatures on it?

If you can get ratings like the World Series gets for a brain operation, then start up a league. Then we can complain about how bus drivers are getting the hose.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
sportscardtheory said:

Not sure where you're coming from. If this is just a general statement about how you hate that sports are a business, that's one thing. But don't fault Bonilla. He's getting paid because he and his agent negotiated for him to have income after his playing days. This is all from the contract he signed in 1992. The 4 seasons leading up to it he was an all-star all for years, won a silver slugger 3 of them and was in the top 3 for MVP voting twice.

Additionally, this is the type of move generally made by a player to free up money for the team to improve the product they are putting on the field.

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Man I still remember the Hype when Bonilla was signed by the Mets back then. He was supposed to be the savior for that franchise.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Vagrant said:
sportscardtheory said:
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:

And you are so disgusted by this inequality in our societal structure that you buy little pictures of them with their signatures on it?

If you can get ratings like the World Series gets for a brain operation, then start up a league. Then we can complain about how bus drivers are getting the hose.

Sure, because I spend what little I do on cards, Bobby Bonilla deserves to collect millions of dollars for the rest of his life for doing nothing. There are Hall of Famers that are still alive and have never even sniffed at a fraction of that amount of money. But you are right, Bobby Bo deserves it because MLB is a money machine.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
sportscardtheory said:
kdailey4315 said:
sportscardtheory said:

I agree 100%

Members online