Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cant believe people buy these "errors"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
If you havent noticed that over the past several years, a ton of "new" error/ variation cards from the 80's have been on ebay.

In reality for the most part these arent errors or variations. They are printing defects caused by the "stone age" printing technology of those days. These basically can happen to ANY CARD at any time leading to tousands of thousands of new "error/variation" cards.

Cases in point: http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-TOPPS-Reggie-J ... 2a030c6774

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Topps-Ozzie-Sm ... %26ps%3D63

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
I dont understand the title...since those examples werent bought/sold to begin with.

Title should be more like.. "Can't believe people sell these "errors" for so much :D

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
The yellow date on the 87 TBC is in fact an error/variation and is extremely rare. I saw the Henderson at a show for $100 years ago. I have never seen another.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Actually, looking at the Jackson, the name is not really in yellow judging by the white running through "1977." Also evidenced by the yellow streaking on the left border.

The entire card has too much yellow in it, therefore it is a printing issue...not an "error" which many consider to be based upon the plate. In this case it simply looks like this was a "make ready" sheet that came off as the press was adjusting the color for final output. Basically, too much yellow on the plate.

That said, people are no doubt "forcing" variations these days with older sets and player collectors are buying them up. Fluctuations in tone are rare, but very consistent with the 4-color print process.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Bornagaincollector said:
That ebayer is one of the most knowledgable people in error/variations in this hobby.

This is true of the seller. As far as the printing flaws I understand that. This technically is a color variant. I have heard of it as an error. Among player collectors who collect guys that are in the TBC set, they are well known variations and tough to locate. There might be only a few of each player with the yellow date.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't see how this accidental error differs from intentionally producing different color refractors, etc.

People collect and enjoy variations.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
You should check out what people pay for badly produced Magic cards. Magic cards, for the very great part, are produced with a consistent quality baseball card collectors can only dream of. Probably 99% of all cards are 50/50/50/50 centered front and back. Another .9% are within 55/55 one way. But every once in a while there's a card that's just a total miscut, like showing part of another card on the sheet, and that can sell for hundreds. Likewise, cards with blank or wrong backs (most notable, in 1994 some cards have Magic fronts with back from another game called Wyvern), or 'serrated' edge cards that weren't quite clipped cleanly, or odd coloring. While I never cared for color variations or print errors in general, certainly wouldn't pay a premium for them (except maybe corrected photos like 1985D Seaver), I do recognize that there are a large number of people who do. Intentional, accidental, whatever variants are part of the hobby.

BTW, I like manufactured patches as long as they are integrated into the overall design. It's like foil, autograph stickers, or any other design element. Most of them are not, but 2003 Patch Collection MVP cards are pretty sweet.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I think the Reggie could be legit, but the Ozzie just looks like a bad print job.

The biggest ones I take issue with are all of the "blank front" "blank back" crap,
but then again I am not a completist when it comes to my PC.

Jul 30, 2009
So I went through several hundred late 80s Topps today for the heck of it and without studying every card, I found several of these "errors/variations".

A true variation is one corrected by the company (pre Heritage era). That Reggie is just a bad color job. It could happen to any TBTC card and more than likely any card in the set.

These are no more variations than blank backs

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
011873 said:
So I went through several hundred late 80s Topps today for the heck of it and without studying every card, I found several of these "errors/variations".

A true variation is one corrected by the company (pre Heritage era). That Reggie is just a bad color job. It could happen to any TBTC card and more than likely any card in the set.

These are no more variations than blank backs

Your wrong about the TBTC cards. If your not a player collector of the guys in that set, then you most likely never heard of them. I searched thousands of Hendersons over the years, and finally found one in a lot I won off Ebay. The yellow is to localized. It would also appear on the side of the Reggie 77.

Members online