Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thinking of starting a set collection - 1998 UD3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marterburn

Now that I have all my cards from my parents house, I can't get over how attracted I am to the gaudiness that is 1998 UD3. So, I'm going to try to complete a 450 card set (the diecuts /100 are way too hard to find, and too expensive).

This will be my first pointed effort at a set collection since 1997 or so.

I think back then a bought a box or two, so I have a good start with 100 or so cards.

When I get home I will scan some and comment on why I am so enamored with this set.

--Max

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
I always like the way UD3 looked. I only collected basketball at the time, but this set was one of my favorites:
8770_1.jpg

marterburn

Tomlinson21RB said:
I always like the way UD3 looked. I only collected basketball at the time, but this set was one of my favorites:
8770_1.jpg

i get the feeling that UD really focused on design for this set. there is really nothing else to it but design. I mean, in 1998, they designed the cards so a die cut afforded itself to the curves around all insets and swoops.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
BunchOBull said:
I agree that set has some appeal to it...I'm thinking of finishing up a '96 Topps Laser set I started when it first came out.

I think I need one card to finish that set if memory serves. I have some doubles. PM your list to me and I'll see what I can do.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I also liked both years of UD3. It was only a year or two ago I completed the 1997 set with the inserts. When the 1998 set came out, I eagerly bought a box and got hosed on the 1-per-box tier card, which turned me off to the set. They are sharp, though, in that pseudo-dufex style.

marterburn

smapdi said:
I also liked both years of UD3. It was only a year or two ago I completed the 1997 set with the inserts. When the 1998 set came out, I eagerly bought a box and got hosed on the 1-per-box tier card, which turned me off to the set. They are sharp, though, in that pseudo-dufex style.

congrats on finishing the '97 set (1-2 years late :) )!

came home early because of the weather.

i must've bought just one box and some packs back in '98, because I have just one of the 1:24 cards and six die cuts. I still have some sorting to do to determine what i need, and i need to spend time with my fiance right now, so I will post an update later.

-Max

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
BunchOBull said:
I agree that set has some appeal to it...I'm thinking of finishing up a '96 Topps Laser set I started when it first came out.

Picked up both the full series 1 and series 2 of the '96 Topps Laser set about a year and a half ago right after getting back into collecting. It's a sweet set.

marterburn

Alright, I'm officially going for it.

What I like so much about these is the love given to every piece of the cardboard. I especially like 'The Establishment' design. The die cut especially is one of the most organic shapes i've seen a baseball card take, and it actually goes with the design.

I am generally a fan of 'simple' beauty in baseball card design, but this is very complex, and somehow it works.

1998UD3knoblauchDC1.jpg
1998UD3bichette3.jpg

Off to the transaction boards i go!

Members online

Latest posts