Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

OLD SCHOOL 90's GUYS...Who got in on this Toughie?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
book.jpg

1992 Hit the Books Bookmarks. There was a whole bunch of them that went tonight. I have only seen one Gwynn before. I definitely overpaid, but one of the very few pre-1996 cards I need...

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
There was a battle for the lot with Sandberg. Fortunately, I picked mine up a few years ago for much less than that.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Warrens All Stars said:
Is that actually considered a card? A pricey one too?

Not Pricey...I would expect to pay about $1.00 for something like this and ended up paying around $8.00...
It's just one of those strange cards that has been on my original Gwynn list from Beckett, so it's always been a blank spot to check off. Nothing fancy..
Maybe not even worth a post, but to me it has been tough.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
oh crap - I've been looking for the Butler. It didn't show up in my search, was it part of a lot?

edit: sonuva... yes, it was. I'm gonna have to try to contact the winning bidder. I'm hoping it was a board member.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
TNP777 said:
oh crap - I've been looking for the Butler. It didn't show up in my search, was it part of a lot?

The Ripken lot had Butler, Dawson and Ripken and surprisingly only went for about $6.oo... Sorry, I never even knew there were others for sale until tonight, and they all went at the same time!

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I just sent the seller a note thru eBay to see if he's willing to ask the buyer to contact me. Here's hoping.

2wrigley

Aug 7, 2008
There are actually two different versions of these bookmarks. The ones in the lots that were listed this week are from the Virginia Education Association. The other version is from the New Jersey Education. The difference is on the line at the bottom on the back that says who the sponsor is. The fronts are the same on both versions.

Robert

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
I picked up the Ozzie for about 10 bucks from chandy a few months ago. It was on my want list for quite awhile before I got it.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I also know of bookmarks from Minnesota of the same style, but they were all Twins. I broke up some sets from NJ and VA back in the 1990s, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll check on your player.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
There are at least four different versions of these bookmarks. I have two different Ozzie variations and I know the Brett Butler collector has three (two of which I have never seen)

I have: NJ and Virginia and he has Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
tpeichel said:
I also know of bookmarks from Minnesota of the same style, but they were all Twins. I broke up some sets from NJ and VA back in the 1990s, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll check on your player.
PM sent

Mozzie22 said:
There are at least four different versions of these bookmarks. I have two different Ozzie variations and I know the Brett Butler collector has three (two of which I have never seen)

yep :D

oddball93bookvirginia_F.jpg
oddball93bookpenn_B.jpg
oddball93bookvirginia_B.jpg
oddball93bookwestvirginia_B.jpg

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
TNP777 said:
tpeichel said:
PM sent

Mozzie22 said:

yep :D

oddball93bookvirginia_F.jpg
oddball93bookpenn_B.jpg
oddball93bookwestvirginia_B.jpg

Nice rainbow?

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
woo hoo! I contacted the seller, and he set up a quick BIN for the '92 Virginia - he ended up sending me two of them! Now I've got the '92 and '93 Virginias. :D

Still need the '92 New Jersey, though.

oddball92bookvirginia_F.jpg
oddball92bookvirginia_B.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I know this is virtually a dead topic, but wanted to add a little more info. I just picked up a 1993 Virginia set of Will Clark this week. I now have 6 different ones, with quite a few more most likely available. I have the 1992 New Jersey & Virginia, the 1993 Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and National Educationa Association, and the 1994 Virginia. I don't have any West Virginia and some collectors have those too. If each state had one each year, that would leave at least 6 to 8 more to collect, right??? Obviously a ton of very minor variations to the cards, but these things have been pretty fun (and a bitch) to put together.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Yowch! How can you do that to us!!!! :D
I knew there was one, 18 years later I just got two, and now there may be 12 or 14?
Gotta love being a player collector!!!

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
gwynn5453l4u said:
Yowch! How can you do that to us!!!! :D
I knew there was one, 18 years later I just got two, and now there may be 12 or 14?
Gotta love being a player collector!!!

:lol: Well, I'm definitely not an expert on them, but have picked ones up that I need for years now. I'm up to 6 different. Here is a list of Clarks that should exist:

1992: Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, National Education Association
1993: Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, National Education Association
1994: Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, National Education Association

I have 2 of those from '92, 3 from '93, and 1 from '94. I definitely don't know for sure, but if Clark is in all years (which he definitely is), I would assume he is in each state's version, which would leads me to believe there is as many as 15 different total. Although, I've only seen the 1993 years have the plain National Education Association version and only scans of other players in West Virginia, so not exactly sure what Clark has from those types. I really don't know, but I'd like to see this thread continue. What versions/years do other player collectors have? Heck, maybe there is another version I don't even know of.

Members online

Latest posts