Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One time when I wish people would follow eBay's rules

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
So, I had a snipe go off for a decent Alcides Escobar card. It put the bid in, but was outbid. Then I notice that the highest bidder had 3 feedback, so I connacted the seller and told him that if the winning bidder flaked b/c he was new, don't hesitate to send me a Second-Chance offer.

Well, I heard back from the seller, and he tells me that the winner was some kid who went over his parent's budget and wasn't going to pay. But he also tells me that someone else sent him a second-chance bid as well. But mine would be the "Official", eBay-sanction second-chance bid. So he hints that I can put in an offer to try and out-bid this other person. I didn't want to be rude, but I also didn't want to get into a bidding war off eBay, since by eBay's rules, the item should be mine.

So I sent him the following. Would this miff you as a seller?:

Well, my highest bid was thru eBay, and that was just $1 below what the kid bid. It's not that I don't trust you, but I'm not sure I should go outside of eBay with any other bid. If the first bidder isn't going to pay, eBay has the option for the official "second-chance" offer that would go to my bid ($75), based off of all the bid received.

I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a hard-case, but I'm a bit miffed at that kid too, since he sort of bid up the item with no real inention of paying. But I wouldn't hold that against you :)

Basically, if you want to give me the eBay-sanctioned, Second-Chance offer for my official bid, that would be great, and I'd appreciate it. If someone is going to give you money outside of eBay that is significantly more than me, I can't go along with that.

Hope you are well, and please accept my condolances. (He said he was selling this to help his parents pay for his brother's funeral).

Thank you for your time.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
LaneyB said:
Sounds like he might have been bidding on his own auction.

Sounds like it. Also sounds like just another Ebay My husband died, my husband left so I'm selling his stuff auction. This is my brother died. I stay away from those auctions. And to boot sounds like he's shilling his auction then trying to get you to get into a bidding war between you, him and him.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
NYCrulesU said:
LaneyB said:

Sounds like it. Also sounds like just another Ebay My husband died, my husband left so I'm selling his stuff auction. This is my brother died. I stay away from those auctions. And to boot sounds like he's shilling his auction then trying to get you to get into a bidding war between you, him and him.

Yeah, you can't ever win with him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
LaneyB said:

I definately didn't want to make that accusation, but the thought crossed my mind. But then I didn't win and if he was shilling, he sniped and won, so no dice. Now, i know setting a last-second snipe of your own on your own auction is a way to get a free reserve on your auctions without scaring off potential bidders, but i don't think that's the case here; the seller doesn't seem that savy.

Hope to hear back from him.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
LaneyB said:
NYCrulesU said:
LaneyB said:

Yeah, you can't ever win with him.

I'm defiantely NOT going off eBay for this. It's my eBay-sanctioned second-chance offer, or it's his card to list again.

Members online

Latest posts