Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Future of Upper Deck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
It's funny that the hologram was brought into the hobby by UD to stop counterfeiting and now they're probably going to go under as a result. And how funny would it be if they were bought by Topps! If they do get hammered with a multi-hundred million dollar suit then my guess is that the company would go under. They've lost the ability to product basketball cards and the ability to product licensed baseball cards. Their memorabilia/autos are sickeningly overpriced. So, better get rid of those redemptions while you can and keep an eye out for the UD garage sale.

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
We actually had a 5 or 6 page thread on this very topic maybe 3 or 4 days back? something like that anyways, if i can find it i will link it up here

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I hope they do go out of business. After getting screwed one too many times on Redemptions from them, they deserve everything they get for ripping off the consumer.
I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau against them for consumer fraud. It happened a few years ago and I haven't bought a single pack of their cards ever since nor will I ever. What ever happened to the good old days of treating the consumer as if they were always right. Upper Decks approach to the consumer is if you don't like it then too bad. You'll get what we give you and be happy with it. Time for them to stop leeching off the consumer. The unfortunate thing is I am sure they have some good people working there who will also lose their jobs and that is never a good thing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Obviously the person who blew the whistle on them has good morals.

"This could be the end of Upper Deck," said Joshua Leland Evans, chairman of memorabilia shop Leland's Auction House in Bohemia, NY. "I'm not sure they can survive this. We are hearing big rumors of financial trouble at Upper Deck. It could only be a matter of time before they go out of business."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/h ... z0cQPNlSLy

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Curious, but is it possible that this type of stuff kept UD from getting a license in some round about way?

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
unless another company steps up I hope UD doesn't go out of business.. because a Topps monopoly means we are doomed to boring design overvalued cards with questionable auto's. We need a DLP type brand to step up if UD falls just for the sake of competition.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Upper deck admitted to "counterfeiting" cards. Now they are in BIG trouble. Be careful with any of your pre-orders. :shock:

"This could be the end of Upper Deck," said Joshua Leland Evans, chairman of memorabilia shop Leland's Auction House in Bohemia, NY. "I'm not sure they can survive this. We are hearing big rumors of financial trouble at Upper Deck. It could only be a matter of time before they go out of business."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/h ... z0cQUrlyOf

Speaking of McWilliams, for instance, a court order in November noted: "In the face of allegations that he shredded cards in a meeting, instructed an employee or a third party to forget where the counterfeit cards came from, and made plans for future counterfeiting, he has said nothing. The court infers from McWilliams' silence that those allegations are true."

Hopefully the NHL takes a stand like most of Tiger Woods' sponsors did and drops them like a bad habit!!! :x

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, the redemption thing is going to suck if they go under. I've been waiting on a redemption for quite sometime now and if they do go under I guess I can kiss that money goodbye.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
LaneyB said:
Yeah, the redemption thing is going to suck if they go under. I've been waiting on a redemption for quite sometime now and if they do go under I guess I can kiss that money goodbye.

What he said..but if they go under i will hopefully be first on the phone trying to get a Jordan autograph or something better! LOL

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Here is the thread from last week.

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74158

My thoughts:

1) I believe very little of what I read in the NY Post. ( They have a history of muck-raking, imho)
2) Anytime a source outside the hobby, writes about the hobby, they inherently get facts wrong.
3) The article states that Konami's lawyer is seeking $100s of millions in damages. That being said,
even it is only $100 million exactly for 600,000 cards, that means Konami is placing a value of $166
on each card?

If anything, if damages are awarded to Konami by the judge in this case, I don't see it crippling UD.

sky-is-falling.jpg

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
jpcz said:
LaneyB said:

What he said..but if they go under i will hopefully be first on the phone trying to get a Jordan autograph or something better! LOL

I don't care about the Jordan auto, I want the Griffey auto that I paid for.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
chashawk said:
Here is the thread from last week.

http://freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74158

My thoughts:

1) I believe very little of what I read in the NY Post. ( They have a history of muck-raking, imho)
2) Anytime a source outside the hobby, writes about the hobby, they inherently get facts wrong.
3) The article states that Konami's lawyer is seeking $100s of millions in damages. That being said,
even it is only $100 million exactly for 600,000 cards, that means Konami is placing a value of $166
on each card?

If anything, if damages are awarded to Konami by the judge in this case, I don't see it crippling UD.

sky-is-falling.jpg

although I do think that UD is facing some hard times

Your post is dead on.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
Yeah, I read this article from the ny post.

Although completely do not condone fraud, if ud does go under, would be a sad chapter for some collectors like myself.

Love them or hate them, I admit they have created some amazing products over the years that are unmatched even today....

Ud is like when you admire the talent, but ignoring the personality? Like Admiring tiger for his golf abilities but seeing all the negatives (prior to the scandal) such as his temper tamtrums, cursing, anti social to his fans, etc. And yet he is still accepted and loved by his fans. Does this kind of make sense??

Dave

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
mwheeler27 said:
Upper deck admitted to "counterfeiting" cards. Now they are in BIG trouble. Be careful with any of your pre-orders. :shock:

Speaking of McWilliams, for instance, a court order in November noted: "In the face of allegations that he shredded cards in a meeting, instructed an employee or a third party to forget where the counterfeit cards came from, and made plans for future counterfeiting, he has said nothing. The court infers from McWilliams' silence that those allegations are true."

Hopefully the NHL takes a stand like most of Tiger Woods' sponsors did and drops them like a bad habit!!! :x

I never thought I'd say it, but UD does a decent job with Hockey cards. I think Topps would probably do a piss-poor job at them. I love the UD does SOME on-card autos in Hockey...if Topps was there, we'd have nothing but silver stickers on everything and the elimination of great sets like SP Authentic...

On that...I think the world is now ending because I just defending UD...a little.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
cgilmo said:
I believe they believe that statement

they see the licensing issues as something that has set them free
Is there precedence for making a BKB set outside of the NBA licensed market?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but FB and hockey are HUGE moneymakers for them, are they not?

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
daveyou said:
Yeah, I read this article from the ny post.

Although completely do not condone fraud, if ud does go under, would be a sad chapter for some collectors like myself.

Love them or hate them, I admit they have created some amazing products over the years that are unmatched even today....

Ud is like when you admire the talent, but ignoring the personality? Like Admiring tiger for his golf abilities but seeing all the negatives (prior to the scandal) such as his temper tamtrums, cursing, anti social to his fans, etc. And yet he is still accepted and loved by his fans. Does this kind of make sense??

Dave

Kinda like the hot chick you keep dating, even though shes a beoutch??

Members online