Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

McGwire Card Values Post-Admission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
I know Big Mac cards, especially autos, held nice values despite the accusations. I'm wondering how about now? I've ggotta think they took a huge hit because of this, both in value & demand. Any one here bailing on their Mac cards, or trying to?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
I really can't imagine a "big" hit. His '85 Topps already had their crash and I'd imagine the same guys buying his autographs will still be after them now.

I really don't think it was big news. If anything, the slight hit will be counteracted with him being back in the game of baseball and in the public eye again.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
I highly doubt his admitting to using steroids will make any McGwire collector scramble to dump their collections. I said in another thread, if anyone truly believed Mac never took steroids they were just lying to themselves. Most everyone didn't need to hear it from his mouth, we all knew. It's just a nice footnote that he openly admitted to it. Now he can move on with the rest of his life and his new position as a coach.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
From a personal standpoint, if Bagwell ever came out and admitted anything, I would still pay the same for his cards. Not sure why collectors of other players would be any different. If you are player collecting, you aren't collecting for value's sake most likely.

NYCrulesU

Jul 15, 2009
As salamu alaykum
predatorkj said:
From a personal standpoint, if Bagwell ever came out and admitted anything, I would still pay the same for his cards. Not sure why collectors of other players would be any different. If you are player collecting, you aren't collecting for value's sake most likely.

As a Palmeiro collector I say amen to that! :lol:

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
predatorkj said:

Most McGwire collectors new he had used PEDs. I'm sure there were some A-Rod collectors that sold everything because they didn't want to have a PC of a PED user.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Yeah, if that would be the case, I may start spreading rumors about Gwynn so I could afford his 96 Select Mirror gold!!!!
Realistically, I can see a few lower tier McGwire collectors stop and drop, but the biggies will keep on going (stronger than ever now that he's back!)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
NYCrulesU said:
predatorkj said:

As a Palmeiro collector I say amen to that! :lol:

As a Bagwell fan who started collecting after all the steroid allegations came out, I am still waiting for the crap to hit the fan. So before I decided to collect him, I made sure I felt okay with this possibility.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Adamsince1981 said:
predatorkj said:

Most McGwire collectors new he had used PEDs. I'm sure there were some A-Rod collectors that sold everything because they didn't want to have a PC of a PED user.

Oh sure. I honestly didn't figure A-Rod as a user. I really got duped on that one. But as a player collector, I find myself more involved with completion and quality than with actual value. There are people who collect on value alone but I don't see that being bigger than straight player collecting. The thing that comes up then is whether or not you are okay with what the guy did. If you can get over that...you are good. If not then you sell. But in that case, value still isn't in the picture.

And honestly, if you want to not collect anybody who might have used, it leaves you with some very mediocre guys to collect and a small amount at that. Especially since everyone is convinced that a large majority of players over the last 20 years used at some point in time. If that were the case, I could easily throw out half my collection for all the players I collect. No thanks. It is what it is. You make the decision based on what you feel personally.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
In the long run, I think this is the first step towards a drop in his auto prices.

Follow me here - He was laying low, not making appearances, not giving interviews, and definitely not signing. There were a fixed number of his certified autos on the market, and not many of them. His admission was the necessary first step towards him becoming relevant to the day-to-day baseball world once again. There is no way he is on the Cards' staff if he doesn't give this interview prior to spring training. Even though the PED issue will still come into play, the fact that he acknowleged it now gives it time to sink in so that it isn't "AS big" of an issue come the actual season. I think after a little bit of time, even though he will never be the Golden Boy that he once was, he will not feel as much of an "outsider looking in" to the modern game. I think this was a big issue with him not doing any more signings.

Hopefully in a few years, you will see some more certified autos of his, and that can only mean a drop in prices. This would be great for a lot of us, myself included, who would love to own a McGwire auto at Canseco prices.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Stuff like this always happens at the wrong time for me. The McGwire confession happened less than 1 week after getting my first McGwire auto. I'm still very happy with it though and don't really care what happens to his values.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Well it's great to see PC' passion & forgiveness. I guess, when it all copmes down to it, we have to remember that these guys on our cards are, after all, only human.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
the PED issues have not affected sales of most of the top players at all.. I was hoping Canseco stuff would become almost worthless but instead his auto's/Gu'ed have been getting darn good money with many bidders hot after this stuff. So much for adding big chunks to my collection on my little budget. The only person who's card prices may have dropped even lower on is Palmeiro and he never sold high to begin with.