Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's the deal with Randal Grichuk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
I was analyzing prices for my 09 BCDP player watch list and saw this: http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Bowman-Dra...ZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item4a9d998c0d

I'm confused as to what is warranting his prices. Mike Trout is a much better prospect and his cards are selling only a notch higher than Grichuk's at this point. Grichuk's Rookie ball stats are encouraging, but those shoudn't hold much weight. The 64 K's in 236 AB's is somewhat frightening as well. Are people just going nuts over his power potential? BA says this:

"He doesn't have the prettiest righthanded stroke, but his strong hands and bat speed should allow him to hit for a solid average once he adjusts his pull-oriented ed approach. A 6-foot, 195-pounder, Grichuk has decent athleticism and fits best defensively as a left fielder. He's a below-average runner with a fringe arm, but his work ethic and passion for the game should make him a solid defender."

I liked Grichuk coming into this product hoping he'd be one of the cheaper guys to pick up with so many question marks, but I guess I'll have to hold off. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

koch1974

Aug 29, 2009
Why is Trout a much better prospect???? Grichuk was actually drafted before him, although it was technically the same pick.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
koch1974 said:
Why is Trout a much better prospect???? Grichuk was actually drafted before him, although it was technically the same pick.

More well rounded, better plate discipline, better D. Potential 5-tool guy.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Striking out at that rate makes him a very dangerous investment, and dangerous investments should be much more inexpensive than his cards currently are, in my opinion.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Striking out at that rate makes him a very dangerous investment, and dangerous investments should be much more inexpensive than his cards currently are, in my opinion.

If Grichuk can sustain an AVG like that, who really cares. His power is tremendous and he is a pretty solid athlete and defender.

This is why people are investing in him, and if it comes to reality the Angels got a great pick. If he can fix his extension a little bit, his power will got from "wow" to "scary".

[youtube:2qwdvlh6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthR3VcVnRY[/youtube:2qwdvlh6]

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
I agree with Adam, there are plenty of guys that K once in every 4 at bats. Some get hobby love (Ryan Howard) and some don't (Adam Dunn). If he strikes out 150 times in 600 AB but hits .310 with 40 HR nobody will care about the K's. I'm just concerned that 150 k's in the lower minors will turn into 250 in the bigs.

On the flip side, he's got a nice swing but he's amazingly stiff. Watching that video makes me think that he won't touch anything on the outer half of the plate.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Yah, Grichuck is a ******* mystery.

I think people just loved his ******* little league performance, to be honest. He has no biznass getting prices that high. No biznass at all!

For the price of Grichuk why not inivest in just about any other hitter. :/

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
There are a TON of Grichuk supporters on the boards--probably enough to draw a few random *bleat* *bleat* bids. The Angels have a pretty good following.

He'll take his lumps like any high school standout but it's hard to ignore his power potential (Brandon Wood?).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
BA's Angels Top 10 list goes live on the site Monday.

Here is how I predict it will look.

1. Mike Trout
2. Trevor Reckling
3. Hank Conger
4. Jordan Walden
5. Fabio Martinez
6. Randal Grichuk
7. Tyler Skaggs
8. Chris Pettit
9. Alexia Amarista
10. Peter Bourjos

natsprospects26

Oct 6, 2008
Dulles, VA
NECpilgrims8 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

If Grichuk can sustain an AVG like that, who really cares. His power is tremendous and he is a pretty solid athlete and defender.

This is why people are investing in him, and if it comes to reality the Angels got a great pick. If he can fix his extension a little bit, his power will got from "wow" to "scary".

[youtube:1yotxabf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthR3VcVnRY[/youtube:1yotxabf]

I only watched a minute of that, but all I saw there was a strong kid who can turn on a batting practice fast ball. The scouting stuff that I've read has him as a dead pull hitter. I'd love to see Grichuk succeed, but I think he's more likely to turn into Cody Johnson.

Members online

Latest posts