Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else going to be upset if Topps Sterling has "relics"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Ugh, so Topps customer service has openly admitted that their products have some stadium relics as well as mostly bat card for Babe Ruth.

I'm pretty po'd about this proliferation of HOF legend "relics", at least it will help maintain the value of the Babe's older, "legit" game used pieces.

This WILL make me think twice about purcahsing topps sterling this year- will it change anyone else's decision?

They still won't say what the source or provenance is for the other players "relics" such as Cobb, Foxx, etc. etc.

What a downer- these game used used to be special, now they are killing them as the pseudo 1/1 (see topps milestones) really hurt the true 1/1 market.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
brouthercard said:
Ugh, so Topps customer service has openly admitted that their products have some stadium relics as well as mostly bat card for Babe Ruth.

I'm pretty po'd about this proliferation of HOF legend "relics", at least it will help maintain the value of the Babe's older, "legit" game used pieces.

This WILL make me think twice about purcahsing topps sterling this year- will it change anyone else's decision?

They still won't say what the source or provenance is for the other players "relics" such as Cobb, Foxx, etc. etc.

What a downer- these game used used to be special, now they are killing them as the pseudo 1/1 (see topps milestones) really hurt the true 1/1 market.

Can you give an example of the "relic" that you refer to that isnt Game Used Jersey?

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
THECARDFATHER said:
Can you give an example of the "relic" that you refer to that isnt Game Used Jersey?

Some of the "relics" coming out of Tribute (not sure about triple threads) are things like pieces of wood from stadium seats and things of that nature. The piece of wood may or may not be bat.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
THECARDFATHER said:
brouthercard said:

Stadium seats, dugout benches, walls, etc...

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Labratt21 said:
THECARDFATHER said:

Some of the "relics" coming out of Tribute (not sure about triple threads) are things like pieces of wood from stadium seats and things of that nature. The piece of wood may or may not be bat.

Also, some triple threads cards contained some Mantle "relics" that may not have been game used in the past, like a shirt worn by Mantle, but not in his actual game used jersey.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
brouthercard said:
Labratt21 said:
THECARDFATHER said:

Also, some triple threads cards contained some Mantle "relics" that may not have been game used in the past, like a shirt worn by Mantle, but not in his actual game used jersey.

forgot about those. Yes, there were many Mantle jerseys that looked super new along with some event worn shirts and such.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
cgilmo said:
I have heard through an undisclosed source that the Ruth pieces this year are from a coaches bat.

all of them? or some?

They should just say GU bench and it would be fine

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
brouthercard said:
Labratt21 said:
THECARDFATHER said:

What are you talking about? Don't you remember "Flower Power Day" in New York when the Yankees wore paisley unis?

Yeah, I'm glad this is finally coming out. I really want one of those jumbo Sisler/Speaker "bat" cards, but since they only say "relic" and not "bat" I am "extremely dubious" so I "won't be buying any." Why can't they just be up front about it? Well, there are obvious reasons, but still, they should be above-board all the way.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Here's an article online I found earlier today about them:

http://www.newcardsmell.com/wordpress/?p=2042

“Thank you for the inquiry, please be advised these cards say memorabilia on them and a small amount do include stadium relics. The majority of the items however, do include bat relics. We apologize for any confusion regarding this issue and thank you for your continued support of Topps.”

the-hell-is-this1.jpg

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
And yet they still don't disclose who these Bat "Relics" come from. Are they from the actual players on the cards or random bats they purchased at a department store. Would love to hear what they say about the Jersey "Relics" on the cards and where they came from. Those obviously aren't Ruth Jersey pieces. All I can say to Topps is "Son, I am disappoint" Looks like I scratch them off my list of reputable card companies and they can now join Upperdeck because of it's redemption replacement policy.

Sooner or later this will get back to people who are paying outrageous amounts of money on these pieces and the bottom will fall out on the value of these cards leaving the collector with a bad taste in their mouths over Topps products.

Philip J. Fry said:
Here's an article online I found earlier today about them:

http://www.newcardsmell.com/wordpress/?p=2042

“Thank you for the inquiry, please be advised these cards say memorabilia on them and a small amount do include stadium relics. The majority of the items however, do include bat relics. We apologize for any confusion regarding this issue and thank you for your continued support of Topps.”

the-hell-is-this1.jpg

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Who cares! Babe's ass probably sat on the seat! That would make it touched by the man himself :lol:

francisjniskey

Oct 28, 2008
I would for one if I spent $400 or $500 on a card thinking it was a Authentic Bat or Jersey piece and found out later that it was a piece of wood from the stadium after they tore it down. When you buy something like that you are paying for the prominence of knowing that they player used that item or wore that item in a game. It makes it more personal which is what you are paying for when you buy it. Luckily I saw the writing on the wall on this one or should i say the writing on the back of the card. I'll just stick to buying my older Donruss, Topps, and Upperdeck Game Used cards that state the items are that specific players game used items.

Found these two articles, Not sure how old they are:

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/200 ... 79655.html

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/200 ... 80511.html

sneekc said:
Who cares! Babe's ass probably sat on the seat! That would make it touched by the man himself :lol:

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
smapdi said:
brouthercard said:
Labratt21 said:
THECARDFATHER said:

What are you talking about? Don't you remember "Flower Power Day" in New York when the Yankees wore paisley unis?

Yeah, I'm glad this is finally coming out. I really want one of those jumbo Sisler/Speaker "bat" cards, but since they only say "relic" and not "bat" I am "extremely dubious" so I "won't be buying any." Why can't they just be up front about it? Well, there are obvious reasons, but still, they should be above-board all the way.

"Why are you quoting yourself while you are writing?" ""won't be buying any.""?

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Here are some nice bat piece examples from a company everybody can trust:

l06stanmusialgold.jpg

Notice how clear the wording is on the back:

l06bstanmusialgold.jpg

l08peterosesilver.jpg

l07donmattinglygold.jpg

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
mwheeler27 said:

Sportkings can be trusted?!?! That is the funniest thing I have heard in a decade! Who cares what the wording says, I will never trust SK and the "game used" items they say are used. There was huge controversy regarding several cards and the patches featured in that set and they also make ITG hockey if Im not mistaken. ITG is packed full of supposed game used items.

Mr.Whipple

Banned
Apr 19, 2009
Joisey
sneekc said:
mwheeler27 said:

Sportkings can be trusted?!?! That is the funniest thing I have heard in a decade! Who cares what the wording says, I will never trust SK and the "game used" items they say are used. There was huge controversy regarding several cards and the patches featured in that set and they also make ITG hockey if Im not mistaken. ITG is packed full of supposed game used items.

So companies who admit to counterfitting cards and tell employes to lie about it. Make cards with forged signatures.. Lie about production of cards and lose 6 figures in court over it.. Back door high end singles and such, Is the sign of trust?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts