Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay holding buyers payments?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UtahUtes

Jun 22, 2009
Just got this email from a seller:

Due to ebay`s new policy of withholding buyers payments to sellers for 21 days,your card will not ship till end of month,you can thank ebay for this crap. I will no longer be selling cards on Ripoffbay.
- 850beeeswax

Has anyone heard of this? I'm not too concerned, I paid less than $5 for the card with shipping, but this strikes me as odd.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I'll have to go over the new updates TOS, but it seems to me that this is a paypal problem with the seller. He may have low DSR's or not enough feedback. Sometimes with suspicious activity, paypal steps in an becomes a pain in the ass.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
You may want to let him know that THIS is the reason it's being held. Ebay is trying to protect the buyer and insure they get their item.

He's actually adding to the reason that ebay does this.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Yeah, it is from his low DSR's more than likely, and he is SUPPOSED to ship the card to you and once you receive it, PAYPAL will release the funds to him....it is his fault and from what I read I dont think he will get his money until you have the card.........

TK

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong but don't it clear when positive feedback is left and delivery conformation is confirmed as delivered?They do this to accounts that are messing up.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
nyc3 said:
Correct me if I am wrong but don't it clear when positive feedback is left and delivery conformation is confirmed as delivered?They do this to accounts that are messing up.

I believe so. Luckily I haven't encountered this problem as a seller thus far, but I still know the facts of when this happens. Its just a clueless seller thats throwing blame on others when they should be looking in the mirror.

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
UtahUtes said:
Just got this email from a seller:

Due to ebay`s new policy of withholding buyers payments to sellers for 21 days,your card will not ship till end of month,you can thank ebay for this crap. I will no longer be selling cards on Ripoffbay.
- 850beeeswax

Has anyone heard of this? I'm not too concerned, I paid less than $5 for the card with shipping, but this strikes me as odd.

The same thing happened to my wife when she started selling some of the baby stuff we have. She was a brand new seller and had gotten quite a bit of money right off the bat. So paypal accepted the funds from the buyers she had, but she was not able to use the funds for about 21 days if I remember right. Paypal told her to ship with tracking and when it showed up as delivered and/or the buyer left feedback, they would release the hold.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
wolfmanalfredo said:
nyc3 said:

I believe so. Luckily I haven't encountered this problem as a seller thus far, but I still know the facts of when this happens. Its just a clueless seller thats throwing blame on others when they should be looking in the mirror.

His shipping time has a 4.5 dsr I think thats the culprit. To the op kindly point out for him to re read what ebay/paypal sent. He needs to ship the item to YOU before the payment is cleared to him due to his low DSR shipping time rating.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
They do this for newer selling accounts. As soon as the buyer leaves positive feedback or the shipment is confirmed with tracking, the seller's funds will be released. Them waiting to ship until payment clears is futile.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
He either needs 100+ positive feedbacks on eBay -or- at least 10 DSRs from selling. Well, at least that's how it was when I started my account in May 2006.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
I have the same problem with the same seller. I have tried to explain everything to them. He was going to hold the damn item for 21 days. I said that was unacceptable.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Paypal recently notified me that my payments would be held in the same way.

This is baffling to me because I have DSRs that are all 4.9+, and have never had a problem on paypal or ebay. I looked into it and I actually meet all of the qualifications of NOT having payments held, so I don't understand why they are doing this.

I'm going to call next week and see what they say about why I am being penalized for being a fast-shipping and honest seller.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
some sellers are getting all payments held. Some are getting some payments held. Some are getting no payments held. Supposedly if you sell 20k in 6 months, you won’t have any payments held. It seems like dsrs are NOT the main factor for determining payment holds- things like selling in high fraud categories (electronics) may result in payment holds. Length of time on ebay + listing volume seems to work in your favor for not having payments held. Some sellers are getting payment holds off once the item shows as delivered. Others are getting the holds off by talking to paypal/ebay reps + appealing. Either way, sellers CANNOT hold the item for 21 days.

Btw, it’s NOT just for newer accts. There’s a guy on the PS board who has been selling for nearly 11 years and whose $ is being held. Dsrs/fb is fine, so that’s not what triggered his hold.

i43770

Aug 7, 2008
Portland, OR
Isn't that seller going to be pissed when a bunch of buyers file claims and he loses them all because he didn't mail within 7 days of payment.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
Even if DSR's are the reason, people might start leaving negatives for having to wait and now the seller is still in the same situation.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
i43770 said:
Isn't that seller going to be pissed when a bunch of buyers file claims and he loses them all because he didn't mail within 7 days of payment.

He doesn't deserve to be pissed because he doesn't know the terms of service. All the buyers are in the right, and the seller seems to not believe that he's in the wrong.

This seems like a situation where the seller, after all is said and done, is going to be throwing blame at ebay and paypal when in fact its his fault for not understanding the situation.

It sounds like a pain in the ass to go through as a seller, but it happens and you need to do your part in order to make it go smoothly with your customers.

Members online

Latest posts