Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Marlins Spending Money!!!!! Josh Johnson Gets 4 Yr/ $39M

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
How many years until they trade him?

A cheap contract just means that the Marlins will get more in trade for him when they decide to move him.

Also, Marlins team payroll is nearing $45M!

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
WOOOO...[edited for courtesy-mod]...OOOOOOO

My Josh Johnson collection is no longer for sale :)

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
stevezimmer22 said:
Mudcatsfan said:
stevezimmer22 said:
Dang, I wish they traded him for Smoak and Feliz.

Um, fail.

I like the Rangers and I was hoping they could get their hands on some pitching, when I heard that to be a rumored offer; knowing the Marlins track record I thought it may have a chance of going down.

I wouldn't give either (by themselves) for josh joshnson. Especially feliz

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
1. If I were Texas and that trade ever existed, I'd do it.

2. I can't believe JJ signed that contract considering he was so close the FA and the team that offered it was the Marlins.

3. I don't care what his #1 goal was....bad deal...he would have got Boardwalk & Park Place from whomever in between '10 and '11.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Adamsince1981 said:

2. I can't believe JJ signed that contract considering he was so close the FA and the team that offered it was the Marlins.

3. I don't care what his #1 goal was....bad deal...he would have got Boardwalk & Park Place from whomever in between '10 and '11.

He will be traded.

1) The Marlins could have not resigned him and lost him in Free Agency

2) The Marlins could have traded him this season and got prospects for him, but the team getting him would have to sign him to an extension

3) The Marlins signed him for four years. His contract is less than $10M (Cheap) and he is signed cheap for 4 years.

If the Marlins trade him one or two years into the extension they will get better prospects in return, the team getting him would have a cheap quality pitcher with two or three years left in his contract.

I would be shocked if Johnson made it past the trade deadline in 2012 without being traded.

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Adamsince1981 said:

He will be traded.

2) The Marlins could have traded him this season and got prospects for him, but the team getting him would have to sign him to an extension

3) The Marlins signed him for four years. His contract is less than $10M (Cheap) and he is signed cheap for 4 years.

If the Marlins trade him one or two years into the extension they will get better prospects in return, the team getting him would have a cheap quality pitcher with two or three years left in his contract.

I would be shocked if Johnson made it past the trade deadline in 2012 without being traded.

If he signed a $40 mil insurance contract then I'm cool with that...just don't tell us Miami is exactly where you want to be at that price.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
stevezimmer22 said:
Mudcatsfan said:
stevezimmer22 said:
Dang, I wish they traded him for Smoak and Feliz.

Um, fail.

I like the Rangers and I was hoping they could get their hands on some pitching, when I heard that to be a rumored offer; knowing the Marlins track record I thought it may have a chance of going down.

My bad, i was thinking you were speaking from teh Marlins perspective because of the miggy staring at me in your sig.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
Adamsince1981 said:

He will be traded.

Adamsince1981 said:
If he signed a $40 mil insurance contract then I'm cool with that...just don't tell us Miami is exactly where you want to be at that price.

Whats so hard to believe that he wouldn't want to be the Ace #1 starter on a team that looks up to him as the face of the rotation in a city moving to a BRAND NEW retractable dome stadium, in one of the most desirable cities to live in in the world as a 10 million dollar a year man?

With the real estate crash in Florida, 10 million a year will buy him a pretty nice place. If you've got cash on hand, its actually a great time to be moving to Florida, 2 years from now the market will have corrected itself slightly and maybe he's making a property decision :)

Oh, and your shortstop is arguably the best player in baseball not named Pujols, and your farm system is one of the best in baseball.

It was clear he WANTED to stay with the Marlins. They're a young team, and he STARTED it all in 2006 with Hanley. Its a great story that they're willing to go forward together into the new stadium

Also, the mere fact that Florida has stepped up to sign these guys shows their commitment to NOT being the 2004-2009 Marlins budget wise.

It's a new day. Get ready baseball, the Marlins are now KEEPING their stars.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Cot's reports that his deal is this:

2010-3.75M
2011-7.75
2012-13.75
2013-13.75

Coincidently, this matches up right with Hanley's big contract increase. I don't see Johnson pitching for the Marlins after the 2011 season.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
mredsox89 said:
Cot's reports that his deal is this:

2010-3.75M
2011-7.75
2012-13.75
2013-13.75

Coincidently, this matches up right with Hanley's big contract increase. I don't see Johnson pitching for the Marlins after the 2011 season.

+1

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone want to project what the Marlins starting rotation will be

They have
Johnson
Nolasco
Andrew Miller
Sanchez
Volstad
Vanden Hurk
Sean West

Anyone else i may have missed Tucker?

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Huffamaniac said:

They have
Johnson
Nolasco
Andrew Miller
Sanchez
Volstad
Vanden Hurk
Sean West

Haden Penn, Dan Meyer & Burke Badenhop are also on the 40 man roster, but they're all behind those 7/8 you listed Tucker is likely in the bullpen.

Graham Taylor is not far off, but also not an impact guy. Chad James is currently the high ceiling prospect but he's a Long way away. THey should be able to find 3 really good options from those 5-6 guys after the two locks in Johnson & Nolasco.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks. Marlins have a lot of nice arms. If VOlstad can bounce back and Miller pictch to his potential, the Marlins could be very dangerous.

I hope Vandenhurk can improve his control a bit and not give up so many HRs and stick in the rotation.

Mudcatsfan said:
Huffamaniac said:

They have
Johnson
Nolasco
Andrew Miller
Sanchez
Volstad
Vanden Hurk
Sean West

Haden Penn, Dan Meyer & Burke Badenhop are also on the 40 man roster, but they're all behind those 7/8 you listed Tucker is likely in the bullpen.

Graham Taylor is not far off, but also not an impact guy. Chad James is currently the high ceiling prospect but he's a Long way away. THey should be able to find 3 really good options from those 5-6 guys after the two locks in Johnson & Nolasco.

Latest posts