Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

90s inserts question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Does anyone know what the difference is between each of the different classses (class 1,2,3) besides the print run?
1998 Topps Red Label

Like for many of the insert sets the color was the only difference, but what makes the different classes different for these besides the print run?
some are embossed, some are diecut, etc...

I see they are different designs, but besides that, is there something that sets them all the same in the same class?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Russ S. said:
Pictures are different as well.

So a /25 /50 /100
all have the same card qualities and basically same design (just a different picture and a different #/d)

They all have same
refractor pattern
basic design
red label logo
not diecut
not embossed

nothing unique between the different classes but the picture itself and the #

E.G. A 1998 Topps Red label #/25 will not look any "sweeter" than a #/100?????

Also, bonus question, what about red label vs black label?

The scans of all the ones ending today are terrible...why don't people buy a decent scanner when they are SO CHEAP?! (grin)

1998 Topps red label ending today
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkpar...l&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=1&_sc=1

The Third Eye

Aug 26, 2008
The Fox Valley
That Travis Fryman Class 3 Red is really off center. The other difference between the classes is that with Class 1 the name on bottom is solid gold, Class 2 it's silver and Class 3 it's a shimmering gold.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
found this searching
This is a very confusing product. The various classes have different poses. You can tell them apart that way. However it is much easier to get a flashlight and shine it on the name. If the name is silver, it is class 2. If the name is gold with holographic speckles, it's class 3. Otherwise it's class 1.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Agreed with above. And yes this set is pretty confusing. Don't have pics of all of them but these might help some:

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C1_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C1_Red.jpg

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C2_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C2_Black.jpg

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Black.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Red.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Does this mean Im gonna have competition for one of my guys later today? LMK and I"ll cancel my snipe now ;)

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Brewer Andy said:
Does this mean Im gonna have competition for one of my guys later today? LMK and I"ll cancel my snipe now ;)
Hell no Bro!! Us Player Collectors need to stay strong. If someone wants your guy. Don't lay down, make them win it!! ;)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Russ S. said:
[quote="Brewer Andy":iu0rsg8y]Does this mean Im gonna have competition for one of my guys later today? LMK and I"ll cancel my snipe now ;)
Hell no Bro!! Us Player Collectors need to stay strong. If someone wants your guy. Don't lay down, make them win it!! ;)[/quote:iu0rsg8y]

:lol: It'll be a low snipe anyway, I'm trying to land a Ripken auto this weekend!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Roy Birchler said:
The easiest way to tell is the background picture,
Class 1 fielding
class 2 base running
Class 3 hitting

not sure how it works for pitchers

For pitchers:
Class 1 set position
Class 2 throwing
Class 3 follow through

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
carrsallstars said:
Agreed with above. And yes this set is pretty confusing. Don't have pics of all of them but these might help some:

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C1_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C1_Red.jpg

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C2_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C2_Black.jpg

1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Gold.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Black.jpg1998_Topps_GoldLabel_C3_Red.jpg

Thanks everyone who responded...the position thing was interesting to find out.
Carrallstars, you seem to have all the flavors, and in the scans the class 3 does look slightly nicer, but not a dramatic difference...
does seem to hold true in hand as well...do you think the class 3's look just a little nicer, but not much difference than a class 1 or 2?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Brewer Andy said:

who's your player?
I like all the hofers, and planing on trying to win at least one or two, but won't say which (grin).

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
hofautos said:
Brewer Andy said:

who's your player?
I like all the hofers, and planing on trying to win at least one or two, but won't say which (grin).

Not HOFers :lol: I'll take that to mean I'm safe from you

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
hofautos said:
Carrallstars, you seem to have all the flavors, and in the scans the class 3 does look slightly nicer, but not a dramatic difference...
does seem to hold true in hand as well...do you think the class 3's look just a little nicer, but not much difference than a class 1 or 2?

Yeah the class 3's are a little nicer- they look nicer in hand than my pictures show. The player name on the class 3 looks a little nicer and makes the card look a little more pricey. The class two's are nice as well...these cards are just well done once you get past the permutations!

Hope you landed a few bargains -looked like the Gwynn, Ripken, McGwire and Andruw got up there pretty high.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
carrsallstars said:
hofautos said:

Yeah the class 3's are a little nicer- they look nicer in hand than my pictures show. The player name on the class 3 looks a little nicer and makes the card look a little more pricey. The class two's are nice as well...these cards are just well done once you get past the permutations!

Hope you landed a few bargains -looked like the Gwynn, Ripken, McGwire and Andruw got up there pretty high.

I didn't put a snipe in because I wanted to watch and see what the pricing was like, and then i forgot as I was addicted to a computer game, and I missed out on the randy johnsons that i wanted. I did remember in time and got a #/100 vlad though for about $10.

Who else bid on any?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
A Burnitz went for around $5 but my wallet was busy picking up some other Brewers items ::facepalm::

Members online