Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Going to Houston next weekend, couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I've pretty much decided to make the drive over to Houston next weekend for the Tristar show. This is my first card show in over a year, so I'm pretty excited. I was looking at the autograph guest list. I've never been one for autographs, and have never stood in line for one, but Randy Johnson's presence is intriguing. I figured he's one of those guys who never signs at shows, seeing as he's made about $150M in his career, and the $159 flat price seems to bear that out. I don't picture myself forking over the cash, but his appearance, plus Montana, Elway, etc., and Colt McCoy (how can he sign if he can't feel his arm?) hopefully will draw a big crowd and, in turn, lots of dealers. Can anyone tell me what the size of this show usually is? The large bi-annnual show in San Antonio seems to finally have withered and died, and the monthly show in Austin is long gone, so I'm hoping there is going to be a large and active dealer room. But I'm mentally preparing myself for sparse and stunted.

My other question is about Houston itself. I was there once before for an Astros game, but I didn't drive, and we just drove in, went to the game (which was rather horrific) and got out. I remember passing the Brown Convention Center near Enron Field (as it was) and I assume it should be easy to find. But is there anything else nearby worth seeing, or a good spot for lunch or something? I hate making a 3.5 hour drive and back in 1 day, especially with lots of walking in between, so I'm thinking of getting a hotel room, and if I do I wonder what there is to see.

Nov 6, 2009
Texas
Last year, they had 3-4 double rows of tables. So probably about .... 50-75 dealers, at a guess? I could be wrong.

If you're going to be there Sunday PM me. Can bring some trade bait.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
All of my favorite places to eat are in the Galleria...I can't think of any great places near the show...I'd like to hear input from other folks on this.

I don't think I'm going to the show, but I may change my mind.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I'm thinking about going next weekend myself! Give me a PM & I can give you some info on the area & what else there may be to do (depending on your taste). I can also let you know of which area NOT to wander into (as it is fairly close to the convention center), as we Houstonian's want you to be alive long enough to have a repeat visit to Houston! ;) :lol:

Later bud, Dave. :D

95vr4

Aug 7, 2008
California Pizza Kitchen @ Post Oak Plaza is about 15 minutes drive from Downtown Houston and is very close to the Galleria, also Westheimer is a great drive and there are lots of other place to eat near Beltway 8. If you are into Asian food, Bellaire BLVD @ Beltway 8 (15 mins drive from the Galleria) has some great Asian food.

Addy for California Pizza Kitchen (Thai Pizza is my personal favorite ;) )
1705-A Post Oak Blvd.
Houston, TX 77056
At San Felipe

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
HoustonTeams4Me said:
I'm thinking about going next weekend myself! Give me a PM & I can give you some info on the area & what else there may be to do (depending on your taste). I can also let you know of which area NOT to wander into (as it is fairly close to the convention center), as we Houstonian's want you to be alive long enough to have a repeat visit to Houston! ;) :lol:

Later bud, Dave. :D

And which area is that? There are quite a few rough areas around downtown :lol: . IMO...don't go anywhere past any large buildings. Otherwise, you'll wind up in one of the wards or Denver Harbor ::facepalm:: .

One of the best places I can think of is Fogo De Chao's but they are not too close and are rather pricey. Isn't there like a mall downtown somewhere in one of the buildings? I think there is and if memory serves me correct, it actually faces the George R. Brown. They had a Pretty extensive foodcourt.

As far as there being things to see, Nasa is a straight shot down 45 and if you keep going you will hit Galveston. Little cold for the beach but that's the best time to go since there won't be many people down there. You could also take a ride down there to San Jacinto and see the Battle Grounds. There are also plenty of clubs downtown but you have to be careful and I also couldn't tell you the name of one since they all seem to change name and ownership quite frequently from what I remember.

I can't go and wish I could but every time I ahve gone its been pretty packed. A lot of dealers but I would assume its nothing liek the National or ahnything. But there are some good deals to be had. Luckily, I will be getting a friend to get Mier's signature on a ball for me. Now, if I could just talk him into a few of the other guys!

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
predatorkj said:
One of the best places I can think of is Fogo De Chao's but they are not too close and are rather pricey.

I agree...but it's in the Galleria area too. So is the Melting Pot, another good one in the same place.

The original Carrabba's Grill isn't too far away; pretty good eats, with slightly different menu items than their chains. I also like this hole in the wall called Mockingbird Bistro.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
predatorkj said:
One of the best places I can think of is Fogo De Chao's but they are not too close and are rather pricey.

I agree...but it's in the Galleria area too. So is the Melting Pot, another good one in the same place.

The original Carrabba's Grill isn't too far away; pretty good eats, with slightly different menu items than their chains. I also like this hole in the wall called Mockingbird Bistro.

There is always Mama Ninfa's. Not sure of the exact location but its around downtown. Good food though! And then there is Spahgetti Warehouse if you like Ghosts... :lol:

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
Thumbs up on Mama Ninfas...

Also Niko Nikos for good Greek...Taco Milagro for gourmet Mexican food...again, all of these are a bit of a drive.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
BunchOBull said:
Thumbs up on Mama Ninfas...

Also Niko Nikos for good Greek...Taco Milagro for gourmet Mexican food...again, all of these are a bit of a drive.

Eh...Taco Milagro, at least the one they had over here near me, sucked big time. Thank god they shut it down.

Dude...you're in Texas. Just go get some BBQ.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts